Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 08:47 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times

Advertisements

Why not allow it? We have lost every sense of morals and scruples as a nation. Bring it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 08:51 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Why not allow it? We have lost every sense of morals and scruples as a nation. Bring it on.
yeah... we should definitely operate on biblical law where we cut off a thieves hand and stone people to death. it is awful what secular people have done to this country morally, isn't it?

Old 12-30-2015, 08:54 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Yes, we should legalize. BUT, there will have to be some laws and such tweaked upon doing so. Also, no one gets a second marriage unless the first family created is not leeching off the public assistance teat. That is the problem with a lot of polygamist that I saw in a documentary. They qualify for public assistance.

I don't agree with bringing in any refugees so consider that a non-issue but it would also fall under being able to support their family. I don't want to support some man with 3 wives and 16 kids.

I think polygamy involves a lot of people that need help with their mental health but what forbids it basically is religious beliefs. But, the day they allow that, they must legalize prostitution another element judged because of religious beliefs. I think it is all sinful but that shouldn't play into our laws/rules. I also couldn't vote for it because I cannot support it in that way with my stamp of approval.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:36 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
yeah... we should definitely operate on biblical law where we cut off a thieves hand and stone people to death. it is awful what secular people have done to this country morally, isn't it?

I don't see how being married to more then one person is unmoral. It's their life no ONE person should have that say. Your always going to have to people say that it's a sin or not of said religion. They are just brain washed.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:50 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
I don't know about should. It's not something I oppose, but it's also not something I really support.

The only issue with legalizing it is how it would change the tax benefits of marriage which are meant to apply to two people. If one partner dies, who get their stuff? Things like that get complicated. I also wonder if ta breaks were given, we'd see an increase in polygamy just to get the benefits? I'd like to think that wouldn't happen, but it probably would.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:34 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times
The way I see it there is no need. All the fundies were freaking out about gay marriage being some sort of gateway to legalizing polygamy, but there's really no comparison.

When it gets right down to it, legalizing gay marriage just established gender equality. It also strengthened society by providing a means for people to form more stable support networks for their old age. Anyone can marry any other consenting adult, regardless of whether they are a man or a woman. Every consenting adult can commit to one other consenting adult and receive all the legal benefits that come with that. That's just justice, and there was nothing complicated about it. A few forms needed to be changed and not much else.

And if you're not in Utah, you can make any other romantic/sexual/platonic partnership arrangements you see fit, just not with the legal benefits. And if anything, Utah has proven that polygamy cannot be legislated.

How would one regulate it? It wouldn't just be one man and multiple women if it was legalized - both men and women could marry multiple partners. That would create a network rather than a family unit. Who would get legal benefits? What would happen in a divorce? How would records be kept? It's not something that can be simply legalized and then a few forms get changed. Gay marriage did not redefine modern marriage in a signifcant way, no matter what its opponents said. Polygamy, however, would require an entire canon of legislation to become legal while making sure everyone's rights beyond marriage were protected. I don't think there's any way to do it fairly.

Look, when you get down to it, monotheism and monogamy are both recognitions of the virtues of efficiency. One god is less complicated than multiple gods, and one spouse is less complicated than multiple spouses.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Help me out. Where did I mention the Bible?

I won't wait for an answer.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:51 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
The Chinese Concubine made it easy.....sleep in room A or B or C for the night.

Today china with their one child Law has brought about a large number of men and very few women to choose from. Now they have changed the Law and are allowing two children to a family.

Do I advocate this?...not really as it is their choice.

On the other hand 2-3 men sharing one woman or 2-3 women sharing one man might be possible.....might cut down on all of the apts being lived in by a single person.....oh well, back to the drawing board.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:03 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Help me out. Where did I mention the Bible?

I won't wait for an answer.
It's a commonly held belief amongst the religious right that secular people are destroying the morality of the country when in reality, it is the secular people that have pushed for things that the Bible and other religious texts would consider taboo. You know... women's rights, the abolishment of slavery, etc.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
It's a commonly held belief amongst the religious right that secular people are destroying the morality of the country when in reality, it is the secular people that have pushed for things that the Bible and other religious texts would consider taboo. You know... women's rights, the abolishment of slavery, etc.
I'm still trying to figure out where I mentioned the Bible or even religion.

You said I did.

Please help me find it in my post. I'll check it again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships