Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 09:23 AM

25,733 posts, read 21,891,700 times

Advertisements

Tolerance isn't good enough anymore. You have to accept and embrace or be ravaged for it. You are a "hater" (a new silly word), a bigot, etc. unless you embrace and support everything that the media feeds you. I am surprised how many people don't even know the difference between the two.

How dare you even consider that you have a right to decide anything for yourself appears to be where we are at now. Respect for the others beliefs without accepting those beliefs as your own are now considered unacceptable. I have news for those that feel that way, "It isn't going to happen in your lifetime."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 09:31 AM

7,978 posts, read 7,333,810 times
Quote:
What does "tolerance" mean now?
Tolerance now means "Shut up, Whitey", and "You too, Black Conservative".

There are so many new minorities (e.g. Syrian refugees, transgender) it makes your head spin. And they all have professional spokespeople who are very militant about their clients being tolerated. There was a time when people were urged to be tolerant because the majority held so much power and the minorities held so little. Now it seems like the shoe is on the other foot.

Tolerance used to be voluntary.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:10 AM

50,377 posts, read 23,969,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Therein lies the difference we're talking about here. Everyone has the right to speak freely, so you must tolerate it(at least in the US, for now), but no one expects/forces you to accept and approve of Hutton Gibson's behavior. "Holocaust deniers" do not enjoy protected class status.

Conversely, even though you may not agree with their behavior, you WILL accept cross-dressers and homosexuals, or you'll face legal action.

You may not agree with integration, but you WILL participate.

As someone else mentioned, tolerance now means "accept it, or else...".
I'll decide how I define toleration, and I'll decide what I tolerate.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Tolerance isn't good enough anymore. You have to accept and embrace or be ravaged for it. You are a "hater" (a new silly word), a bigot, etc. unless you embrace and support everything that the media feeds you. I am surprised how many people don't even know the difference between the two.

How dare you even consider that you have a right to decide anything for yourself appears to be where we are at now. Respect for the others beliefs without accepting those beliefs as your own are now considered unacceptable. I have news for those that feel that way, "It isn't going to happen in your lifetime."
It seems as if you don't understand the difference between freedom of thought and freedom of action.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Tolerance now means "Shut up, Whitey", and "You too, Black Conservative".

There are so many new minorities (e.g. Syrian refugees, transgender) it makes your head spin. And they all have professional spokespeople who are very militant about their clients being tolerated. There was a time when people were urged to be tolerant because the majority held so much power and the minorities held so little. Now it seems like the shoe is on the other foot.

Tolerance used to be voluntary.
So when it was making insulting comments like you mention above to Blacks (or should we use the "n word"), was that okay? Or Hispanics (or should we use the "s word"), was that okay? Has it only become wrong when it's about "Whitey" (as you put it) or certain types of conservatives?

Old 01-06-2016, 11:02 AM

37,083 posts, read 42,062,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
So I guess you view translates into as long as THOS others don't come into your view??? or you observe someone in a restaurant who is acting effeminate...Does that include being bothered by those whom you disagree with?

Next..What will you do about it?..Leave?? confront? Complain to manager's about having your space invaded etc....Just wondering just how tolerant you are really....
I've observed way more questionable things than someone "acting effeminate", which doesn't effect me at all. If someone is disturbing the peace in a restaurant I probably would leave though.

Here's the thing, my day to day mindset doesn't deal with things like "having my space invaded". That seems to be the domain of a particular set of people who are focused on things that I don't care about. The fact that I don't care about someone else's causes or issues doesn't make me bad, it just means it's not important to me and I don't need to be hearing about it. People need to accept and be tolerant of that And nobody needs to be concerned that I don't care about them either.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:12 AM

18,754 posts, read 11,741,036 times
Tolerance to me would mean to respect a different opinion or way of life even if you don't agree with it. Acceptance means you agree with that opinion or way of life.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:42 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,422,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Tolerance to me would mean to respect a different opinion or way of life even if you don't agree with it. Acceptance means you agree with that opinion or way of life.
Or acceptance could mean you accept it is happening whether you agree with it or not.

Semantic games rarely seem to lead to earth shattering revelations.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:45 AM

7,978 posts, read 7,333,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So when it was making insulting comments like you mention above to Blacks (or should we use the "n word"), was that okay? Or Hispanics (or should we use the "s word"), was that okay? Has it only become wrong when it's about "Whitey" (as you put it) or certain types of conservatives?
Why would you use the N-word? Why would such an intolerant thing ever be OK, especially when we are talking about the evolution of tolerance?

The concept of "tolerance" is the acceptance of other points of view and ways of doing things. That concept has evolved and now can be used as a weapon against political opponents, mostly by the Left but in some cases the Right has "turned the tables" and used "tolerance" against the Left.

You might say we are less tolerant now than we have ever been, or you might say that more people now have a voice with which to express their intolerance than ever before.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:03 PM

6,304 posts, read 8,987,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post

The concept of "tolerance" is the acceptance of other points of view and ways of doing things.
I personally would define the concept as the acceptance that others have different points of view and ways of doing things.

My change there might seem small, but to me it speaks to what I've personally seen as the twisting of the idea to mean that one must fundamentally agree with these other points of view and ways of doing things in order not to be labelled "intolerant" or, gasp, "closed-minded".

The change that I've seen is tolerance coming to mean "agreement" in the minds of some. In this world of some people being scared to death of maybe, possibly offending someone, it doesn't surprise me at all that this change has occurred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates