Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 11:29 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times

Advertisements

Like I said. Anyone is free to join a Jewish dating site or a black dating site. White people even join the NAACP. White people attend HBCUs. Like I said. Its only a problem when you exclude people from your business. There are countless Irish fraternal organizations here in NY. Italian sons of Italy. Greek organizations. Last I checked they were white and they don't invite blacks or hews to join BUT they won't exclude you from joining. Its not a big deal. Make a white dating site. I bet black men will join and do very well. Lol

Old 01-10-2016, 12:29 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
WHy can't white people ever be allowed to be their own ethnicity?

There's always an excuse...
What is "ethnicity"? The dictionary defines it as "the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition." That says NOTHING about skin color. What do YOU mean when you say that? In America, where to be "American" can include hundreds of ethnicities and several races, it usually means something different to different people. A social group of French-Canadians who live in Massachusetts don't have all that much in common with the "cultural traditions" of Dukes of Hazzard country, yet you would have to say they are all white people.

Skin color is skin color. It's NOT an ethnicity. It's more likely that you mean race, when you say "ethnicity," so why don't you come right out with that? You want people of your race, meaning people who appear to look visually the same as you.

But even that is problematic. Most people use the terms white and Caucasian interchangeably. In fact, many actual Caucasians (that is people from the Caucasus Region) are Muslims. Would you think it's OK for them to advertise on "your" site? Most Hispanics are Caucasian (in that they are not Asian, not African, and not American Indian) but a lot of self-identified "white people" who live in my state of Arizona don't seem to think so. Many Arabs are not of African or Asian heritage, so even though they might be brownish in color and even be from the continent of African (for example Egypt), they are certainly not ethnic Africans and they usually identify themselves as Caucasians. They certainly live closer to the Caucasus Region than I do. Some of the countries of the Caucasus Region are actually on the continent of Asia, further confusing things.

So if you're going to patronize a "white dating site," you better be pretty clear about your definition of who is a white person. Because that beautiful, very pale girl with the long, thick hair you have your eye on might actually have parents who emigrated from Bosnia and they worship in a mosque. But, hey, she's definitely the color white and she's an actual ethnic Caucasian, so are you going to disqualify her from "your" website?

Old 01-10-2016, 08:43 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Even if it's not difficult to find potential white partners--an objection raised in this thread--one benefit of a site like this is that the explicit acknowledgement of whiteness may be useful in weeding out some anti-white/SJW/feminist types. There are far too many of those types on many dating sites, and in society at large, it seems. I could certainly never date someone with such a worldview. A dating site for white people who are appreciative of their European heritage will likely not appeal to those folks, but will instead draw together people of compatible heritage and values.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:57 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Are you really sympathizing segregation and Apartheid? Nobody cares if whites want to have their own dating website.
Stormfront could just add a dating forum and develop a profile matching mechanism, I guess. Or a dating app!

Seriously, I would never join a dating site as it is, but I were to, I would be extremely put off by anything that was ethnically exclusive. It's okay to have a strong and exclusive attraction to people who look like you--perfectly natural--but I would be afraid of encountering racially supremacist mentalities. Black, white, whatever, that thinking is a turn-off.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:12 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
. A dating site for white people who are appreciative of their European heritage will likely not appeal to those folks, but will instead draw together people of compatible heritage and values.

Here we go again....

Please read my numerous posts in this thread addressing this topic. I will condense it into one simple sentence for your reading comprehension.

White Americans and White Europeans do not share a common culture. They do not necessarily share the same "values". They may share the same genetic heritage, but their cultural heritage can be vastly different. In other words, except for purposes of determining a good donor for bone marrow stem cells, there is nothing in common you can possibly have with a European, particularly a continental European.

Please do not persist in perpetuating the misconception that all white people share a common heritage. Someone growing up in New York City has nothing in common with someone from Stellenbosch, South Africa, even if they both have pale skin and blonde hair.

I am getting the impression that many white Americans suffer from an identity crisis fed by an inferiority complex. Unable to feel any pride in their national identity as Americans, they seek identity in their skin color. They seek to identify themselves with a bunch of superficially similar-looking foreigners across the Atlantic Ocean, or another bunch of foreigners down under across the Pacific Ocean. I would characterize it as a form of treason, even.

White people need not feel that I am singling them out. Many Black Americans also suffer from an inferiority complex and an identity crisis. But I am inclined to be less harsh with them because they have a history of being mistreated, historically, by their own countrymen and countrywomen.

Last edited by arctic_gardener; 01-10-2016 at 09:25 AM..

Old 01-10-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Here we go again....

Please read my numerous posts in this thread addressing this topic. I will condense it into one simple sentence for your reading comprehension.

White Americans and White Europeans do not share a common culture. They do not necessarily share the same "values".

Please do not persist in perpetuating the misconception that all white people share a common heritage. Someone growing up in New York City has nothing in common with someone from Stellenbosch, South Africa, even if they both have pale skin and blonde hair.

I am getting the impression that many white Americans suffer from an identity crisis fed by an inferiority complex. Unable to feel any pride in their national identity as Americans, they seek identity in their skin color. They seek to identify themselves with a bunch of superficially similar-looking foreigners across the Atlantic Ocean.

White people need not feel that I am singling them out. Many Black Americans also suffer from an inferiority complex and an identity crisis. But I am inclined to be less harsh with them because they have a history of being mistreated, historically, by their own countrymen and countrywomen.
1. Read my post again. Judging from the tone of your post, this is seemingly a personal issue for you, so your emotions may have gotten the better of you and you may have overlooked the fact that I said nothing about culture in my post. Or you may have taken the liberty of substituting "culture" for "heritage," which would be invalid. My reference was to heritage (i.e., blood-legacy), and values (as you quoted me out of context, I meant not anti-white, which is clear from the full context of my post).

2. I did not say all whites have the same culture or heritage. That would be a nonsensical point of view. I think there are considerable differences not just in culture but in genetics across the European continent.

3. White Americans are predominately NW European-focused. English, Scottish, Irish, German, etc., descended, for the most part. Even if cultures have diverged, blood kinship has not with their fellow Germanics & Celts in Europe and in the diaspora.

4. For those American whites who do not fit in with point #3, it would be great if dating sites existed that catered to specific ethnic groups. For example, Poles, Italians, Greeks, etc.

5. "American" is not much of an identity, since anyone who is born here is automatically "American." There is no blood kinship required to be American. This is is contrast to how nations or tribes have traditionally formed throughout human history. You can see this tendency IN AMERICA, though, to this day, in American Indian tribes who stipulate that only those who share their blood are, or can be, part of their tribe. The vision of a cosmopolitan society totally ignores this natural human tendency.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:40 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
1. Read my post again. Judging from the tone of your post, this is seemingly a personal issue for you, so your emotions may have gotten the better of you and you may have overlooked the fact that I said nothing about culture in my post. Or you may have taken the liberty of substituting "culture" for "heritage," which would be invalid. My reference was to heritage (i.e., blood-legacy), and values (as you quoted me out of context, I meant not anti-white, which is clear from the full context of my post).

2. I did not say all whites have the same culture or heritage. That would be a nonsensical point of view. I think there are considerable differences not just in culture but in genetics across the European continent.

3. White Americans are predominately NW European-focused. English, Scottish, Irish, German, etc., descended, for the most part. Even if cultures have diverged, blood kinship has not with their fellow Germanics & Celts in Europe and in the diaspora.

4. For those American whites who do not fit in with point #3, it would be great if dating sites existed that catered to specific ethnic groups. For example, Poles, Italians, Greeks, etc.

5. "American" is not much of an identity, since anyone who is born here is automatically "American." There is no blood kinship required to be American. This is is contrast to how nations or tribes have traditionally formed throughout human history. You can see this tendency IN AMERICA, though, to this day, in American Indian tribes who stipulate that only those who share their blood are, or can be, part of their tribe. The vision of a cosmopolitan society totally ignores this natural human tendency.
1. "Blood-legacy" merely implies a genetic similarity. As I pointed out, that is meaningless except in the context of medicine. It's useful information for sure, but unless you're dependent on your significant other for donating cells or organs to you, I don't see its relevance.

2. OK.

3. Yes, they descended from these peoples, so what? See my reply to #1.

4. Yes, I agree with that. I did point out in one of my earlier posts that it makes sense for dating groups to exist that cater to specific ethnicities (although one would hope that eventually they integrate into the American mainstream). This makes far more sense than having race-based groups. All this ties into the assumption that 1st or 2nd generation immigrants seek out their co-ethnics due to a shared cultural background.

5. American not an identity? I think you will find lots of Americans who disagree with you on that. By forcing yourself to believe that "American" is not an identity, you make it a self-fulfilling prophecy. What's to stop the next batch of immigrants from also rejecting integration? With every ethnic group chasing a false identity, how long will the nation survive?

Old 01-10-2016, 09:58 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Jews have had their own dating sites for as long as I remember and no one ever accused them of being racists. Same with black dating sites. They have been around for a long time and they never had accusations hurled at them. But now a white dating site named 'Where White People Meet' has been presented to white young people and they are all kinds of accusations of racism being hurled at them. The founder of the site has been forced to defend himself by saying he is not racists and it is not a racists dating site. The issue as to whether or not it is racists to have a white dating site has made national news but MSM(main stream media) seems to view the new site in a negative way. Sometimes things don't make sense.
This is like the same question that used to get asked at the predominantly white private school I attended. "How come there's a Black Student Union, but there's no White Student Union?" Probably because the entire school is a White Student Union. The assumption is that white people won't have a hard time finding other white people to date on most dating sites, so they don't need a site just for white people. It wouldn't really bother me if there was a white dating site, but you'd still probably have non-whites on there (just like outsiders still use Jewish and black dating sites).

Old 01-10-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
1. "Blood-legacy" merely implies a genetic similarity. As I pointed out, that is meaningless except in the context of medicine. It's useful information for sure, but unless you're dependent on your significant other for donating cells or organs to you, I don't see its relevance.
No, blood legacy is more than genetic similarity. Blood legacy is a tribal concept. Genetic similarity is a scientific one. The notion and importance of blood kinship far predates the scientific concept here. As I pointed out, it is the basis of human tribes and nations. It is also the basis of the family unit.

Maybe you should tell this to the Native Americans who require Native American blood to join their tribe. I'm sure they'd love to hear about how blood kinship is completely meaningless. They can now end their blood legacy by admitting anyone who feels connected to them in some way other than blood...

And actually, their model refutes your claim about genetic similarity as well, since all Native American tribes allow individuals who have just a partial amount of their blood to join. But none of them admit those who don't share any of their blood.

Quote:
3. Yes, they descended from these peoples, so what? See my reply to #1.

4. Yes, I agree with that. I did point out in one of my earlier posts that it makes sense for dating groups to exist that cater to specific ethnicities (although one would hope that eventually they integrate into the American mainstream). This makes far more sense than having race-based groups.
You contradict yourself here. As I pointed out, a point you conceded, white Americans are mostly NW European in a broad sense. Many of them identify simply as "American" rather than Scots-Irish, English, etc., which may be their actual background. The fact that you are willing to grant other ethnic groups their own identity and their own right to explicit endogamy, but not the aforementioned white Americans, is hypocritical.

Quote:
5. American not an identity? I think you will find lots of Americans who disagree with you on that. By forcing yourself to believe that "American" is not an identity, you make it a self-fulfilling prophecy. What's to stop the next batch of immigrants from also rejecting integration? With every ethnic group chasing a false identity, how long will the nation survive?
If Americanism is such a strong identity, why must people such as you hound others in order to keep it afloat? Why do we have people bemoaning Americans who identify more with their ancestry than with the fact that they are "American" (or have a piece of paper stating so)? It seems like being American is, in fact, a weaker identity than you purport it to be. Otherwise, Irish, Italians, Native Americans, Chinese, etc., should be flocking to it and should be quick to jettison their ethnic identity, no? Why would an Irish-American or an Italian-American ever identify as Irish or Italian, respectively, when they can just be "American"?

The answer is what I've been stressing: blood is a much more important aspect of identity.

Furthermore, I absolutely reject assimilationism. Assimilationism leads to rootlessness. I am in favor of stronger, tribal-based identities. I don't want to see Chinese, Native Americans, etc., lose their identities in favor of the vacuous American identity.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:03 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Whites can meet on OKCupid, Plenty of Fish, Match, Spark or any other ones if they set their search parameters tight. I'm on OKCupid, I had mine set to Latino, African-American and White females. I can easily set to just white but I actually don't mind the different races... I know for a fact that Plenty of Fish is the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates