Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 05:42 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times

Advertisements

Because whites are the overwhelming majority and it's silly for them to have their own website when they don't need one.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:50 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Jews have had their own dating sites for as long as I remember and no one ever accused them of being racists. Same with black dating sites. They have been around for a long time and they never had accusations hurled at them. But now a white dating site named 'Where White People Meet' has been presented to white young people and they are all kinds of accusations of racism being hurled at them. The founder of the site has been forced to defend himself by saying he is not racists and it is not a racists dating site. The issue as to whether or not it is racists to have a white dating site has made national news but MSM(main stream media) seems to view the new site in a negative way. Sometimes things don't make sense.
Because those things are minorities

being white and protestant is the majority

we don't need special sites

everything is designed for us, by default

Old 01-07-2016, 06:06 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
White is a race just like black or Asian is a race. If blacks are praised for saying they are proud to be black then it is racist to criticize whites for saying they are proud to be white.
American Blacks in this country share a common culture/history, and share the same lack of knowledge of their own ethnic history. Through slavery their many different cultures/ethnicities were forcibly erased and post-slavery blacks in the US were isolated amongst each other for decades, which created a common culture-which influenced general American culture massively, especially music.

I am 2nd Generation Irish-American and very proud of that and celebrate/immerse myself in the culture, but I don't see much connecting me to all the various types of "white people" in this country. There was no concept of a "white people" or any race really before colonialism and slavery.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:08 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
He said "Jews". Not Judaism. Jews belong to Caucasoid race. You have Europoid, Caucasoid, Mongoloid and Negroid races.
Um, no.

Good try though.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:38 PM

912 posts, read 915,257 times
I was wondering the exact same thing yesterday when I heard all the hype. Honestly, I wonder if the hype is self-generated for publicity. Afterall, BlackPeopleMeet has been around for how long and that was never considered racist?

Also, there are white people on the black site and I'm sure black people on the white site, so who cares? There are black people on the Asian site, and vice versa. There are people that aren't parents on the single parent dating site.

But now that whites have their own site it's racist? It's either a publicity stunt or someone needs more on their plate if they have time to be worried about such trivial things. I have some chores I can offer them.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:50 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,885 times
How about a WASP site (white Anglo-Saxon Protestants seeking others), Irish-American Catholics, Western European descendants with no particular religious affiliation? How would those work?

Old 01-07-2016, 07:13 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
"White" is not an ethnicity. I'm sure it would be much less offensive if it were an Irish-American or Italian-American site.

The concept/history of "whiteness" is for the most part one of imperialism, superiority and racism.
Oh shut up

Old 01-07-2016, 07:15 PM

406 posts, read 288,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Be careful there. One could just as easily say that "the concept/history of <pick a color -ness> is for the most part one of poverty, underachievement, crime and dependency".
lol really? Like a moth to a flame.

The inception and concept of race had social implications. One group was assigned social advantages and advantageous associations, and to other groups, social disadvantages and disadvantageous associations. This classification of human populations was driven by imperialism and racism. 2e1m5a is right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
White is a race just like black or Asian is a race. If blacks are praised for saying they are proud to be black then it is racist to criticize whites for saying they are proud to be white.
What would you call that? White Power?

To answer your question, no it would not be racist. That way of thinking delegitimizes the emotions and experiences of non-whites and suppresses any meaningful discussion about racism. Racial animus towards beneficiaries of racism is not racist. A slave showing animus towards a slave master is not the same as a slave master showing animus towards a slave.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:17 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
There will always be some who criticize anything.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:20 PM

80 posts, read 85,383 times
Default selective liberal outrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Jews have had their own dating sites for as long as I remember and no one ever accused them of being racists. Same with black dating sites. They have been around for a long time and they never had accusations hurled at them. But now a white dating site named 'Where White People Meet' has been presented to white young people and they are all kinds of accusations of racism being hurled at them. The founder of the site has been forced to defend himself by saying he is not racists and it is not a racists dating site. The issue as to whether or not it is racists to have a white dating site has made national news but MSM(main stream media) seems to view the new site in a negative way. Sometimes things don't make sense.

Yes, the old and well known gambit known as Liberal Outrage. And it is quite selective.
Go Liberals! Yeah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates