U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2016, 12:32 PM

16,724 posts, read 13,858,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I posted this on another group as a laugh, but would this be worthy of being fired?

I got off my "Normal" 3 pm - 11 pm shift and this was on my window

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac..._095223-3-.jpg

I discussed this on another site and they all said "Don't go pubic unless you want to lose your job"...frankly, I really wouldn't care. I'd collect UI no matter what as it's NOT a company violation to show them in a bad light.

But I'm not going public.....yet.

Proof that people don't learn from other's mistakes.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:33 PM

8,520 posts, read 4,798,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So a racist employer would accept anything, while a liberal employer would be firing people left and right.

Furthermore, even idiots need to be able to work.
What are you talking about? I didn't say anything about racist employers or liberal employers in my post.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:35 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,817,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I don't think people should be fired for what they post on social media. In fact, I think it should be against the law to do this.

My time is MY TIME, and I don't think I'm compelled to keep it private and under lock and key. To have to censor what I say on MY TIME is to make me a 24/7 unpaid PR representative. As long as I do the job I am paid to do on THEIR time, that is all that matters.

I could see exceptions for "high profile" people such as, say, Tim Cook or Bill Gates, people who are extremely well known and the "face" of a multi-billion dollar corporation. If this were the 1980s, I'd say Lee Iacocca would also be such a person, he was on TV commercials several times every day as the well known "face" of Chrysler Corporation. I hardly find it appropriate, however, that someone who, say, is a filing clerk for a local school "represents" the school with what they do on their own time. So long as they can file and they behave as they should at work, THAT and ONLY THAT is what matters. Heck, I was once the filing clerk of a school by day and a disc jockey of a strip club by night, and people KNEW this--but so long as I contorted myself appropriately in the office environment, all was fine, as it should've been.

Companies today aren't content to honor this, though, even when people take steps to limit their audience, hence the tendency some companies had towards asking applicants for their social media passwords so they could even see their PRIVATE post. My understanding is much of this has been made illegal, as well it should.

They should do the same here.

Not quite. We now have servers who have posted about getting a bad tip and showing the customer's credit card information.

How about people that post pictures of themselves drunk at a bar and go to work hungover to a job that requires operating machinery or involves driving(maybe a school bus driver). Technically they're still drunk.

Here's a novel idea. Don't post all your business online. No one needs to know what you had for lunch and what it looked like or all the details of your life, or every time you feel someone slighted you.

We now have cops whining about Starbucks not letting them use a bathroom for God's sake.

Enough already. Life is full of people not treating you the way you would like or things always going your way, the world doesn't need to know about it.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:37 PM

4,754 posts, read 6,221,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Not quite true. Try to fire someone for being Black or Asian or Mormon etc.

"For any reason except xxx as defined by law" is a more accurate statement.

And the law can be expanded, if needed.

But you can't prevent others from posting about your activity on social sites. Every time we go to parties with friends, some of them post photos from these parties where they name every single person in the photo. Half of these photos make me want to take their phone and shove it up the "photographer"'s rear - not because I was caught doing something stupid, but because they somehow manage to find the most unflattering angle or facial expression.

You have no exclusive control over your own photos or description of your actions in this day and age, and there's simply no way around this. And it will only get worse, with proliferation of wearable tech and facial recognition. Your private activity will be traced by countless devices all over the place, feeding information to servers that are able to connect your face with your name, and posting it everywhere and anywhere.

Imagine this - a young couple kissing on the beach.

Now imagine this 10-20 years from now. Everyone has Google glass like device. Dozens of people on that beach are taking photos of this couple without them knowing. The photos get uploaded to social sites. The facial recognition software matches couple's faces to the data they have from other sources (not necessarily the couple themselves - photos posted by friends, classmates, church outing etc.) and automatically tags them. So instead of someone bold snapping and posting a photo "here's a cute young couple I saw on the beach" you have dozens if not hundreds of people posting a photo "here's Jack Daniels, 19 years old, from Birmingham AL, making out with Wendy Peppa, 18 years old, from Hell Michigan".

Either it becomes unacceptable or illegal for the companies to censor their employees behavior outside of work when it has nothing to do with their primary work functions, or we will live in a totalitarian society where it's the companies, not the Government, dictating citizens how to live their lives.

Or, perhaps, there will be restrictions on dissemination and use of personal information without that person's express consent, and ways to erase this information from the net permanently.

I think this will eventually be legislated, one way or another. No telling which way it will end, though. But if nothing is done, the Stalinist Russia would seem like a freedom paradise.
I quoted the whole thing because it's worth repeating.

I informed my brother a long time ago that I did not want him posting my picture (from family gatherings) on his FB account and, as far as I know, he hasn't. But my picture has recently turned up on FB just for going to a Christmas party at church and also for going to a town homecoming. It irritates me. I like my privacy.

I foresee terrible things in the future of the world (think Nazi Germany on steroids), and I'm not sure legislation will stop it.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:38 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,524,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Once they become an adult. Anything from that point on is fair game. If you are 18 years old and post pics of yourself drunk off your backside, I'm not going to hire you. If you make comments like the hag in your article, I'm definitely not going to hire you. If you post racist comments, I'm not going to hire you. If you are constantly cursing up a storm, calling women "b**ches" and "ho*s", I'm not going to hire you. If you post pics of yourself smoking weed, I'm not going to hire you. If you post about a fight you got in to, giving your 5 year old kid brother alcohol because you thought it was funny to watch him stumble around, you post a video of yourself acting in any way inappropriately towards a child, (and this field is a big one), I'm not going to hire you. The list goes on.

Why do they do it?

Because they are stupid.

Many of them have never had to be accountable for their actions. They've been treated like they were all special, all hilarious, all gifted - their parents have done them a serious disservice by treating them that way. What these people don't realize is that once you get out in to the real world, no one else thinks you're special, hilarious, or gifted - because most of the time, you're not. If you truly were special, hilarious, and gifted, you wouldn't be wasting your time on social media talking about the dumb things you did, sharing photos of the dumb things you did, or putting up videos/vines of the dumb things you did.

Should they be fired? If what that person did makes my company look bad in any way, shape, or form: Yes. Absolutely.

People don't seem to realize that "delete" does not mean what they think it means. Once it's on the internet, it's ON the internet, and it's not going to go anywhere. The more stupid the situation, the more likelihood that someone took a screen capture, someone d/l the photos, someone d/l the video and those WILL be reposted all. over. the internet. Then of course, there's the "Wayback machine".

If you wouldn't want your grandmother seeing it, don't post it.

Social Media is very public, no matter what privacy settings you have. Unless you are Facebooking, Twittering, or messaging yourself, someone else is going to see it, and that someone else can take that and run with it.
Frankly, I wouldn't work for ANY boss that considered it his absolute right to dictate "appriopriate" behavior during an employees off hours.

I don't CARE if you think a particular behavior (smoking weed is legal in my state thank you very much, so I'll do as I please in that regard) reflects badly on your company. I get sick of hearing that excuse from people as if "companies" are our absolute rulers 24/7.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:39 PM

20,906 posts, read 15,662,694 times
Quote:
I don't think people should be fired for what they post on social media. In fact, I think it should be against the law to do this.

My time is MY TIME, and I don't think I'm compelled to keep it private and under lock and key. To have to censor what I say on MY TIME is to make me a 24/7 unpaid PR representative. As long as I do the job I am paid to do on THEIR time, that is all that matters.

I could see exceptions for "high profile" people such as, say, Tim Cook or Bill Gates, people who are extremely well known and the "face" of a multi-billion dollar corporation. If this were the 1980s, I'd say Lee Iacocca would also be such a person, he was on TV commercials several times every day as the well known "face" of Chrysler Corporation. I hardly find it appropriate, however, that someone who, say, is a filing clerk for a local school "represents" the school with what they do on their own time. So long as they can file and they behave as they should at work, THAT and ONLY THAT is what matters. Heck, I was once the filing clerk of a school by day and a disc jockey of a strip club by night, and people KNEW this--but so long as I contorted myself appropriately in the office environment, all was fine, as it should've been.

Companies today aren't content to honor this, though, even when people take steps to limit their audience, hence the tendency some companies had towards asking applicants for their social media passwords so they could even see their PRIVATE post. My understanding is much of this has been made illegal, as well it should.

Asking for peoples passwords is completely different from reading the garbage that people put out on SOCIAL media.

As for the rest of it, keep that attitude. The employers will keep their attitude...and remember, they are the ones supplying you with the money that you want. So go on with your bad, rebellious "my time" self. Post away. It helps employers sift through those resumes fast.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:39 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,486,159 times
Quote:

What color is the sky in your world?

My employees have to deal with the public all the time. The lines of friendship and business get blurred over time, so they have clients as their Facebook buddies. So if one of my employees goes off on an offensive, profanity-laced rant, or posts a photo of themselves doing something that is not legal in eleven states, it has an absolute, direct impact on his or her performance. And, as a result, my business.

Mind you, this isn't about political or religious opinions. If you post in ways that tell me that your vote cancels out my vote every other November, I don't care. As long as you voice in your opinion in ways that reflect the thinking of a mature and educated adult, fantastic. I'm secure enough in life to respectfully listen to a dissenting opinion. But when someone turns crass, crude, or just behaves like a wild-eyed dogmatic nitwit online, then it's time to have the talk.

Hey, if you're a flunky somewhere, or working third shift in a warehouse, nobody cares much. But if you're a professional, working in a company where your company's brand is at stake in every meeting and every e-mail you fire off, you better believe it matters.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:40 PM

4,754 posts, read 6,221,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Should people be fired for social media posts?

If the posts are racist they should be...
And who gets to determine what is racist?

*edit* Never mind, I see it has been answered (even though, as I have had dealings with shabazz before, I didn't really want an answer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Well my interpretation of racism is consistent to what should be considered common knowledge of unmistakable actions. If an employer doesn't agree it says more about them than it does about what took place.
Again, I ask....who gets to determine what "should be"? I know, let's let Hitler decide....

Last edited by Luvvarkansas; 01-08-2016 at 12:58 PM..

Old 01-08-2016, 12:43 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,636,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Had the hairdresser in question had just blown off steam verbally, that would have likely been it. But once it's typed and on the internet, it's out there forever.
I doubt it. If the owner was willing to screenshot her post and publicly shame her for it, he would have been equally willing to copy down her verbal conversation and publicly shame her the same way. He already had called the police on her and had her identity from the police report before she ever made the post.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:43 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,524,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Most companies don't mind plastering untruths all over the media in advertising, but according to sspistol it's only the common man who needs to be controlled.
This needs to be a meme right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or