U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-08-2016, 01:55 PM
 
Location: St Louis, MO
4,677 posts, read 4,637,930 times
Reputation: 2966

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No, if she had never written it in the first place there would have been nothing to broadcast. It used to be if something bad happened to you, you told a few people that were close to you, not put it online.
I disagree. If she had only verbally said it, but the owner still posted it online, it would have had exactly the same traction. We have seen many examples of that in situations (with the PyCon case being by far the most prominent example).

 
Old 01-08-2016, 02:00 PM
 
11,981 posts, read 9,775,149 times
Reputation: 16459
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Very few people saw her post. Again, it was not even a Twitter post. She was circulated because the owner's post was _widely_ circulated on Twitter. (Talking mechanism here, not reason.)
If the owner had never tweeted out what she wrote, we would not be discussing her and she would still have her job.
I think, as manager of the restaurant, when someone posts such a scathing "review," even if in private, it's fair game to in turn share it or make it public in an equally scathing response.

Fact is, this lady was wrong and her attitude is horrible. If she wanted to remain anonymous, she could have called the restaurant and not left her name or left an anonymous note. Instead, she used her Facebook account with her name to write to the restaurant. I think the management/owner has every right to do with that message as he or she pleases. I'm pretty sure she posted it directly to the restaurant's Facebook page, anyway, which is public. Here's an article about it, and by the looks of the screenshot, that is a public message directly to the restaurant, because private messages on FB aren't formatted like that: http://www.inquisitr.com/2688994/hai...ctim-is-fired/ Yeah, the manager drew attention to it by responding the way that he did, but theoretically anyone could have seen it because she posted it onto their public Facebook page.

This nasty b*tch deserved everything she got. Someone who has the audacity to complain that the staff is paying attention to an ill patron rather than her, even if the patron was ODing like little Miss Holly thought, is a total self-centered arrogant @sshole in my book. Screw her and her terrible attitude. I can only hope that if she or someone she loves has a heart attack in a restaurant, no other patron is as blasť and b*tchy about the situation as she was.
 
Old 01-08-2016, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
19,383 posts, read 9,124,652 times
Reputation: 18695
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
What are you talking about? I didn't say anything about racist employers or liberal employers in my post.
Another poster said: "why do feel that only 'racist' posts are a firing offense?"

You responded with: "In this scenario it would be the employer."

To which I am pointing out that a racist employer would be letting "anything goes" because he'd be on the same side. Meanwhile, a civil rights minded poster would be firing people left and right.

It shouldn't be up to an employer unless the employee is directly connecting the workplace with something offensive.
 
Old 01-08-2016, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,709 posts, read 1,524,915 times
Reputation: 3362
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Another poster said: "why do feel that only 'racist' posts are a firing offense?"

You responded with: "In this scenario it would be the employer."

To which I am pointing out that a racist employer would be letting "anything goes" because he'd be on the same side. Meanwhile, a civil rights minded poster would be firing people left and right.

It shouldn't be up to an employer unless the employee is directly connecting the workplace with something offensive.
Don't kid yourself. Many who have agreed with others on whatever controversial issue are quite capable and quick to turn tail and be all "Who me ? No way do I believe as he/she does, I'm an upstanding member of society blah blah blah", ready to throw the lower on the totem pole under the bus at a moments notice. I've NEVER known a single boss to have their employees back from the smallist issues to the largest.
 
Old 01-08-2016, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
18,035 posts, read 8,820,477 times
Reputation: 18472
Well now things are starting to become clear. I certainly do not mean all of you who have a different viewpoint....but some of you appear to be bitter employees who feel you've been passed over for dumb, dislike management and appear to have some issues when it comes to work.

Post your discontent on Facebook - it's your right and I doubt anyone here cares.
 
Old 01-08-2016, 03:06 PM
 
4,827 posts, read 2,724,650 times
Reputation: 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Every facebook comment is at risk for a libel suit, no matter how nasty or nice. But the comment has to be knowingly false and defamatory to actually win (and you need damages, which in most cases will be small and hard to prove).
I don't question the basis for a suit (or lack thereof), but if you have someone posting nasty things about co-workers and also at the same time being a virtual representative of that employer it may have negative consequences. Perhaps not retaliatory. But perhaps deciding that this person may not be worthy of added responsibility as they can't control their own impulses online.
 
Old 01-08-2016, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Fargo ND
809 posts, read 581,906 times
Reputation: 1235
all large companies and many small companies have a "Social Media Policy"

where i work employees have signed an acknowledgement that they have read and do understand the policy and will abide by it

it should not be a surprise when you get canned after an inappropriate facebook post

just think of that controversial post as your resignation letter....... because it is
 
Old 01-08-2016, 03:12 PM
 
4,827 posts, read 2,724,650 times
Reputation: 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
So what if it is?

Heck, I remember when Dennis Rodman played for the Chicago Bulls. People KNEW how crazy he was, he went out of his way to let them know. Even so, the idea was "as long as you contort yourself properly ON THE BASKETBALL COURT that's all that matters." Now, I realize that sometimes different professions have different expectations (I would imagine music artists are expected to be "colorful" and such vs, say, an accountant) yet even so I've heard of players now being told "your off-court behavior is just as important as your on-court behavior, you represent us anytime you do anything in public."

No, in his case, people KNEW he was nutty, and he was, but he delivered where it mattered, come playing time, so it was not a problem, as well it shouldn't have been. He did this even while being teammates with Michael Jordan, who was all about image.

People's views have changed, that's the issue I think. Go back and look at older movies. "Thank God It's Friday" with Donna Summer comes to mind--people went to that disco club and acted nutty as all get-out, including that accountant's wife who was trying to get him to realize that he's not required to behave like an accountant outside the office. BINGO.

Again--CEOs of Ford, especially high-profile ones who appear in commercials, I can see it. However, even if it's public knowledge, everyday people even in prestigious jobs have the right to be themselves when they're off the clock--and post all about it. It's their life, on their time.

A big shout-out to Stackhouse as well. Spot on.
Using Dennis Rodman as an example is a little out there. He's essentially a hired entertainer, and despite his basketball skills his antics attracted attention to what was going on in the NBA.

It's also not about the staff accountant who parties on the weekend keeping his or her job. As long as they don't show up drunk, high or asleep if they can do their job well that's fine.

However, when said accountant doesn't get promoted to head up the department because he posts radically conservative (or liberal) views on his Facebook page, which is visible for all to see, well, it shouldn't be a surprise. The only exception if it was something in a collective bargaining agreement or otherwise required.

At my company I know people who post some pretty far-out things on their FB page. They are valued employees and their jobs are not at risk. But I also know that executive management, based upon their content, has formed an impression that perhaps they're not the best people to promote. That's reality.
 
Old 01-08-2016, 03:13 PM
 
4,827 posts, read 2,724,650 times
Reputation: 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
all large companies and many small companies have a "Social Media Policy"

where i work employees have signed an acknowledgement that they have read and do understand the policy and will abide by it

it should not be a surprise when you get canned after an inappropriate facebook post

just think of that controversial post as your resignation letter....... because it is
Agreed. My company's policy is pretty simple - don't do anything that would breach the code of conduct and don't misrepresent the company. You can post as many selfies and kitten pictures as you like though.
 
Old 01-08-2016, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Out West
20,931 posts, read 15,672,041 times
Reputation: 24429
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Very few people saw her post. Again, it was not even a Twitter post. She was circulated because the owner's post was _widely_ circulated on Twitter. (Talking mechanism here, not reason.)
If the owner had never tweeted out what she wrote, we would not be discussing her and she would still have her job.
If she had never written that message to the owner, we would not be discussing her and she would still have her job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top