U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-08-2016, 10:09 PM
 
Location: Washington state
4,798 posts, read 2,379,822 times
Reputation: 14069

Advertisements

My first thought is, never use your real name when posting anything.

My second thought is, when I'm off the clock, then I'm off the clock. When my employer pays me 24 hours a day, then and ONLY then can he (or she) expect me to walk the company walk for every waking minute.

Let's make it a little more extreme. What happens when you make a remark to a friend in private, but someone overhears you and posts your remark on social media? Should you get fired for that? What happens when your boss is a Christian fundamentalist and you post that you're an atheist? Does your boss get to fire you for that?

What about after hours activities? Suppose in your spare time you support a candidate the boss doesn't like? Or volunteer at Planned Parenthood or support a gay pride group? What if you smoke? Can the boss tell you that you're fired if you don't quit? If you own a pit bull, can your boss fire you for not getting rid of your dog because he doesn't like them? If you are at fault in a traffic accident and someone was killed, can your boss fire you for that? If you do SAR work in your spare time, can your boss require you quit that activity if he feels it's dangerous?

Firing someone for what they do or say on their own time covers all these situations. At what point does your boss rule your life every minute of every day? Where does it stop? If your boss told you to stay home on Sundays and said he would be stopping by your house to check, would you permit this? Are you beginning to see why the boss or the company shouldn't ever be allowed this kind of power?

The reality is that your boss can fire you for any reason, but should they be able to fire you for things you do on your own time that are not work related?

I say no. My employer doesn't own me. It has nothing to do with whether I think FB or any other social media is more important than my job. It has to do with the fact that in this country, as long as it's not illegal, I have the right to do and say exactly as I please, and that includes when I'm off the clock. This is America, remember? Not Communist China.

 
Old 01-08-2016, 10:15 PM
 
2,292 posts, read 2,365,510 times
Reputation: 4153
I understand the "when I'm off the clock..." thinking.

So, if one is "off the clock" why would they be posting about work?
 
Old 01-08-2016, 10:36 PM
 
3,279 posts, read 3,814,330 times
Reputation: 6149
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
My first thought is, never use your real name when posting anything.

My second thought is, when I'm off the clock, then I'm off the clock. When my employer pays me 24 hours a day, then and ONLY then can he (or she) expect me to walk the company walk for every waking minute.

{snip}

Firing someone for what they do or say on their own time covers all these situations. At what point does your boss rule your life every minute of every day? Where does it stop? If your boss told you to stay home on Sundays and said he would be stopping by your house to check, would you permit this? Are you beginning to see why the boss or the company shouldn't ever be allowed this kind of power?

The reality is that your boss can fire you for any reason, but should they be able to fire you for things you do on your own time that are not work related?

I say no. My employer doesn't own me. It has nothing to do with whether I think FB or any other social media is more important than my job. It has to do with the fact that in this country, as long as it's not illegal, I have the right to do and say exactly as I please, and that includes when I'm off the clock. This is America, remember? Not Communist China.
Post of the thread, so much so, I not only rep'd you, but in fact it's the first time I have EVER rep'd ANYBODY for ANY reason.

I will say that, in fact, I do agree with the "don't use your real name," even though you shouldn't HAVE to. Why do so many people think they have to use Facebook and ONLY Facebook for everything? I love posting as "shyguylh" or whatever alias and just saying what I feel--and I don't do so because of any fears, I do so because I've been online since 1997 and am just used to doing it that way. I therefore disagree with news site etc using Facebook commenting, I think they should allow "user id" commenting.

Still--yes, unless you're the CEO of Chrysler or you're a "John" or a drug dealer, your time is YOUR time, even if you post about it. This isn't North Korea.
 
Old 01-08-2016, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Washington state
4,798 posts, read 2,379,822 times
Reputation: 14069
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I understand the "when I'm off the clock..." thinking.

So, if one is "off the clock" why would they be posting about work?

Maybe they're not posting about work. Maybe the company you work for is Hobby Lobby and you are posting a pic of you at a Pro-Choice rally. Do you think Hobby Lobby should be able to fire you for the picture you posted? And what happens if someone else takes the picture of you at a Pro-Choice rally and it ends up on the front page of the news, showing you front and center? And what if you can be identified to the CEO of Hobby Lobby as someone who works there? Do you think they should be allowed to fire you for doing something on your own time that goes against the tenets of the company you work for?

It doesn't have to be a post about work. But the same brush covers all these same situations. As I asked, if a boss or company can fire you for what you say or do on your time off, at what point will it stop?
 
Old 01-08-2016, 10:44 PM
 
Location: Washington state
4,798 posts, read 2,379,822 times
Reputation: 14069
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Post of the thread, so much so, I not only rep'd you, but in fact it's the first time I have EVER rep'd ANYBODY for ANY reason.

I will say that, in fact, I do agree with the "don't use your real name," even though you shouldn't HAVE to. Why do so many people think they have to use Facebook and ONLY Facebook for everything? I love posting as "shyguylh" or whatever alias and just saying what I feel--and I don't do so because of any fears, I do so because I've been online since 1997 and am just used to doing it that way. I therefore disagree with news site etc using Facebook commenting, I think they should allow "user id" commenting.

Still--yes, unless you're the CEO of Chrysler or you're a "John" or a drug dealer, your time is YOUR time, even if you post about it. This isn't North Korea.
Thank you.

I haven't used my real name since I first got on the internet, yet I feel rodentraiser is a unique name, just as if it were a real one. If you google 'rodentraiser', all my opinions are there, but you're right, I have to ask myself why I shouldn't be able to use my real name and why it is I feel so much safer when I don't.
 
Old 01-09-2016, 05:55 AM
 
Location: Jamestown, NY
7,841 posts, read 7,000,246 times
Reputation: 13779
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I don't think people should be fired for what they post on social media. In fact, I think it should be against the law to do this, and I don't care if it's a "right to work" state, it should be against the law anyway.



Ummagumma nails it, and people like this are the ones who should be the bosses of a company. He/she and/or another said something to the effect of "otherwise how is this different than Henry Ford sending out PIs to see if his employers were attending church on Sunday?" Exactly.

My time is MY TIME, and I don't think I'm compelled to keep it private and under lock and key. To have to censor what I say on MY TIME is to make me a 24/7 unpaid PR representative. As long as I do the job I am paid to do on THEIR time, that is all that matters.

I am thinking of the teacher who was fired for being seen in a photo taking a sip of wine WHILE ON VACATION, in another country. I have the good sense to realize teachers are people too, and have the RIGHT to do whatever they want, short of selling drugs or prostitution, to have their own freaking life outside of school--AND they have the right to fully enjoy this activity by taking photos of themselves, say, enjoying the Bahamas in their bathing suits so that friends of theirs can share in their joy. They are NOT obligated to not take photos of themselves enjoying their vacation and/or keep them under lockbox because of uptight idiots who think that somehow them being living breathing human beings on their own time somehow taints their fitness to teach. To think that it does is just stupid. They're not 24/7 unpaid representatives of my school district.

I could see exceptions for "high profile" people such as, say, Tim Cook or Bill Gates, people who are extremely well known and the "face" of a multi-billion dollar corporation. If this were the 1980s, I'd say Lee Iacocca would also be such a person, he was on TV commercials several times every day as the well known "face" of Chrysler Corporation. I hardly find it appropriate, however, that someone who, say, is a filing clerk for a local school "represents" the school with what they do on their own time. So long as they can file and they behave as they should at work, THAT and ONLY THAT is what matters. Heck, I was once the filing clerk of a school by day and a disc jockey of a strip club by night, and people KNEW this--but so long as I contorted myself appropriately in the office environment, all was fine, as it should've been.

Companies today aren't content to honor this, though, even when people take steps to limit their audience, hence the tendency some companies had towards asking applicants for their social media passwords so they could even see their PRIVATE post. My understanding is much of this has been made illegal, as well it should.

They should do the same here.
Welcome to the real world ... which has always existed. In the US, people have been fired for embarrassing their employers or going against the narrow-minded views of their employers/communities for as long as there's been employers concerned about their images or busybodies who want to enforce their version of public morality. This is especially true where employees aren't protected by laws or collective bargaining agreements that bar dismissal except for cause, although many laws and contracts make exceptions for blatantly bad behavior outside of work ... posting on social media can be considered "behavior".
 
Old 01-09-2016, 08:17 AM
 
10,709 posts, read 4,257,163 times
Reputation: 15204
This reminds me of how stupid some people are like posting pictures of themselves at Disneyland on a day they called out sick.
 
Old 01-09-2016, 08:48 AM
 
4,832 posts, read 4,853,204 times
Reputation: 6177
The universal system of wage slavery doesnt provide for the right of self expression, anything one does or says can be used against a wage slave', one must fake it or adopt universal corporate personality maximizing one' chances for employment (preferred choice). Most people intuitively understand dynamic of master-slave systems and behave always, the tiny minority will learn to behave.

The Founding fathers understood freedom as an internal compulsion to do the things that are less free people are forced (externally) into doing. Thus free or not, you must do the thing powers that be find to be appropriate . She'll learn.
 
Old 01-09-2016, 08:49 AM
 
5,321 posts, read 725,472 times
Reputation: 13863
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

What about after hours activities? Suppose in your spare time you support a candidate the boss doesn't like? Or volunteer at Planned Parenthood or support a gay pride group?
Although as I wrote on page 1 of this thread (post #7), I do think -- maybe -- that employers should have the right to fire employees under very limited circumstances, I think the above is an EXCELLENT point. However, I think your point would be better made if you used as an example, that of an employee being photographed at a Ku Klux Klan rally, holding a sign with a hateful message. or were demonstrating AGAINST the LGBTQ community. I doubt whether many employees would enjoy having a wrongful termination suit brought against them for firing someone for supporting what most people think is the "correct" view for someone to have. In other words, Ii think more people support birth control (despite the recent Planned Parenthood brouhaha) than are against it, and I think more people are against bigotry than are for it.

(And, btw, I think this thread should be moved to Great Debates.)
 
Old 01-09-2016, 08:54 AM
 
4,586 posts, read 4,451,585 times
Reputation: 4342
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
The universal system of wage slavery doesnt provide for the right of self expression, anything one does or says can be used against a wage slave', one must fake it or adopt universal corporate personality maximizing one' chances for employment (preferred choice). Most people intuitively understand dynamic of master-slave systems and behave always, the tiny minority will learn to behave.

The Founding fathers understood freedom as internal compulsion to do the things that are less free people are forced (externally) into doing. Thus free or not, you must do the thing powers that be find to be appropriate . She'll learn.
In which case Lucas's comment about the "white slavers" wasn't all that far fetched! LOL

What you describe is worst than Communism actually!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top