Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2016, 01:00 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times

Advertisements

If I own a business and I PAY A SALARY to someone who is bad-mouthing me or my business, or behaving in a way that makes me or my business look bad, of course I would fire them. It wouldn't matter to me a bit if the negative remarks or actions were brought to light on a website, or at a party where people heard talk, or on television.

Here are two examples of "media" other than web-based social media where things happen that could be construed as "fireable":

The coach of the University of Southern California football team (a high-profile job paying in the millions) got drunk at a pre-season social event for university alumni. He addressed the audience with a microphone and with cameras running. He didn't say anything most of the alumni don't think themselves (e.g., they hate UCLA), but he swore a lot, yelled, and slurred his speech. A lot of the audience just laughed but there were children there, the event got on the sports news, and quite a few people were outraged. The school's Athletic Director (the coach's boss) didn't immediately think this was a fireable offense, but some of the big donors to the university disagreed. An "investigation" ensued and the coach was eventually let go.

In another sports-related example, Robert Griffin III used to be the first-string quarterback of the Washington Redskins. For a variety of reasons I won't get into, he's been sitting on the bench this year, not just second string, but third, and not even dressed for games much of the season. Last week, the Redskins played their arch-rivals the Dallas Cowboys. Griffin's family came to the Redskin's game attired in Dallas Cowboys jerseys with the name "RG III" emblazoned above the number. Needless to say, they got on television. Apparently, they meant this as a plea to the Cowboys' very rich owner to rescue their loved one from the Redskins. But despite the fact that the owner of the Redskins might or might not be treating RG III fairly, he is in fact PAYING HIM millions of dollars to sit on that bench. If I were in his shoes, I would fire RG III for that childish display from his family. If they want to contact the owner of the Cowboys and beg him to hire RG III from me, that's their business if they did it quietly. Making a huge display through the medium of television is not the same thing.

Both of those people no doubt have contracts with "conduct unbecoming" clauses in them. As a person in charge of either team, I would execute that aspect of the contract and they would be gone.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:29 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,043 times
Yes they should.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:54 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Absolutely. If you like your job, keep your mouth shut.
I would take it one step further---if you want to be employed, keep your thoughts to yourself. Do not blast them on social media.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:26 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
It seems to me that people are confusing freedom of speech" with "freedom of speech -- or whatever -- without consequences." And I also think the second part of this statement has been encouraged in many ways.

When I was a kid, if a child mouthed off to a teacher, he would be punished. In today's schools (or at least one of them), a kid can blow cigar (or possibly even marijuana) smoke in a teacher's face, and instead of the kid immediately being suspended for a few days (at the LEAST), the problem is kicked upstairs to the school district and possibly other authorities.

WATCH: Disrespectful H.S. Student Blows Smoke in Teacher's Face | Fox News Insider (Btw, sorry for the Fox news link, but that is the latest report on this I can find. If anyone has a link to better or more recent info, I would appreciate seeing it.)

Personally, I would rather live in a society that encourages MUTUAL respect than an "anything goes" anarchy.

Last edited by katharsis; 01-10-2016 at 08:13 AM..

Old 01-10-2016, 08:01 AM

743 posts, read 766,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Here's the thing though. If I say something privately at home or at a party away from work it's private. Now say that thing in public and I have a harder time saying "I didn't say that." Posting on social media, is doing things in public. I have a picture or two I have been tagged with where I have a drink in my hand. One was a toast for my brother at an engagement party where him, our father and I took a sip of a sealed Jim Beam bottle that was some 30 years old. Not knowing the context, some employer may see this and think, Oh I don't want to hire mkpunk, they're a lush or fire me if I have the job already, despite it not being the truth. This is why I watch what I say, how I say it and what pictures go on my twitter and facebook.
Just don't use your real name or post photos of yourself on FB and you can say whatever you want.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:15 AM

50,753 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Look at all the posts from people who claim they would fire an employee for doing something stupid on social media.
Yes, I can see it's gotten off the topic of this particular young woman. I doubt most newcomers are aware of that though, and it bugs me because they think the girl was fired for social media posts since her story was used as the example for the thread.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:11 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
It is reported a woman was fired from her job for making a twitter post about a another patron of a restaurant who became ill on New Year's Eve.

Is it smart to have your employment location sitting right next to your name when you post things online? And then, when the angry masses read the crazy stuff you write, and decide to boycott your place of employment or throw eggs at it - because of your stupidity - is that fair to the business?

Don't put your job title next to your name. Whatever you say then comes off as being from a representative of that company. This woman's employer probably got angry protest calls because of this idiot's insensitive post. Probably a lot of REVENGE calls to, from restaurant employees. Because I really doubt her boss was checking her facebook page.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:06 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
Just don't use your real name or post photos of yourself on FB and you can say whatever you want.
So I shouldn't think before I post?

Old 01-10-2016, 11:40 AM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times
If it's good and right to be held responsible for everything posted online -- during one's personal time -- then I suggest those people begin posting their name, address, and telephone number on each of their posts here on City-Data. Let those people test the waters and start seeing what happens to freedom of speech once they put their name to their words. Because here's my guess -- a lot of those businesses can do anything they want with their employees people -- based on their City-Data posts -- are going to become unemployed.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:30 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
So what do you do about all other people posting about you ? As I said earlier, with the advent of facial recognition and Facebook and Google prompting users to tag everyone in their photos - whether these people have a social account or not - your public actions are no longer anonymous and it will only get worse. 10-20 years from now I should be able to click on any random face in any random photo and get their name and address.. unless it's made illegal. Right now, the number of my photos posted by someone else - some people I barely know - by far exceeds the number of my photos that I posted (I don't like myself in photos, to be honest). Nothing revealing, just some boring stuff, but the fact is they posted my photos and tagged me with my full name & a very simple facial recognition algorithm can now cross-reference my name to some photos where I was not tagged.

Guess what... it applies to anyone.

If you think that you can hide from the spotlight by not stepping into it yourself, you're wrong.

And going back to your second statement:

What kind of a lawsuit would there be against her place of employment if she acted poorly in a private life situation ? I know someone who works for Ford and is a complete jerk, does it mean I will boycott Ford cars ?

Besides, people get upset over things other than acting stupid. Pro-gay people get upset at anti-gay people and vs versus. Pro-Obama people dislike anti-Obama people. Pro-2A people dislike anti-2A people. I'd say that nowadays, people get offended by political views they don't agree with far more often than they are by someone being a jerk.

If I live in a predominantly anti-abortion area and I make a statement on Facebook supporting legal abortions, should I be fired from my job because the majority of people in that area are going to be offended ?

If I live in a predominantly Democratic area and make a statement that I don't like Obama and his divisive policies, should I be fired because the majority of people would be offended by that ?

What if I drive with a political sticker on my bumper that goes against the views of the people who make up a majority of my employer's customers ? Is it OK to be fired over that ? What if I never take this car to work and only drive it on the weekends and someone posts a photo of it on the Facebook an tags it with my name ? Should my employer be able to fire me for that ?

Can't you see where it is leading us to ?
Here's the thing. If you choose the behavior, you choose the consequences. Why the heck would a sensible person put anything on public media? Some people out there, me being one of them, avoid that stuff because what we think or do is nobody's business. So, if you are so eager to share every stupid facet of your life with strangers, don't expect a different outcome.

I was raised in an era where a lady was only in the paper when she married and when she died. I'm still good with that. Fast forward to now, when girls think its super fun to post a selfie of themselves in a bikini. Girls, please get some self respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates