U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 11:26 AM

17,756 posts, read 15,105,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
It is reported a woman was fired from her job for making a twitter post about a another patron of a restaurant who became ill on New Year's Eve.

Hairdresser who posted a rant about a diner ruining her New Year's Eve meal by having a heart attack is FIRED from her job
Holly Jones went online to slam staff at Kilroy's Bar N' Grill in Indianapolis
She was angry waiters went to the woman's aid instead of serving her
She believed the sick woman was a 'junkie' having an overdose
However, she was a 57-year-old customer who fell ill during a meal
Manager Chris Burton said Jones's behavior was 'disgusting'
He told Daily Mail Online someone from her party called to apologize
Jones has been fired from her job at Serenity Salon as a hair stylist

Read more: Hairdresser who posted a rant about a diner ruining her NYE meal is fired | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Do you think being fired was an appropriate response to the twitter post? How far back, years, days, should a social media post be considered worthy of being fired? 5 years ago for instance?

It seems people are often being reported in the press as fired for posting to social media.

Are posters dumb to the consequences?

Why do people post controversial things to social media....things that could come back and haunt them? I am truly clueless.
First off I don’t think it’s just the post. Apparently her behavior in the restaurant itself was very poor per the staff anyway. Also, hair dressing is not like other businesses. It’s success is based on the popularity of the hairdressers. If several of that hairdressers clientele called the shop and said they weren’t going to use her anymore, then what reason should the business keep her on? Also in many shops, hairdressers are not employees as much as contracting space in the salon. They have to pay a chair fee and in essence rent their spot.

Again it might be different if this person worked at Target and her post was not going to affect business. But a small business owner should not have to let her business suffer if the entire community despises one of her hairdressers.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:34 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,665,139 times
It depends. If the rules or restrictions are in the employee handbook or made know when you accept the terms of employment, yes. But it should still be left up to the discretion of the company.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:01 PM

106 posts, read 41,433 times
I don’t think the person in the example is representative of an unfair firing. This is because the woman’s comments would seem heartless and horrible to just about anyone. I think unfair firings would be comments on personal pages that might be heavily subjective based on the audience reading them. Where I think people go wrong is friending fellow workers they barely know, leaving friends lists viewable to the public, posting posts for public view, and posting controversial comments on a public group or page. I know someone who won’t do any of these things. In fact, she doesn’t even use her photo for her profile. It’s a random animal. The only people who know it’s her and what she says are the ones who really know her and will never be an issue. I think people mostly get in trouble for F**ebook posts and comments because they have not used all the eligible privacy functions of their account. If they are all used, no one but friends can read anything. The only exception are posts and comments made on public boards or other people’s non private accounts.

Last edited by ClassicGal; 09-30-2018 at 02:11 PM..

Old 10-01-2018, 05:24 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,810,445 times
No. Not for a single incident. As my wife once said: "You can be a genius all of your life but incredibly stupid for just one moment. And this assumes the incident is vetted clearly and completely, without an "alternate agenda" on the part of management.

I would add to that: Todays' media and people I know today often take things completely out of context in the format of proving their point at any cost, including other peoples' Rights. At least, the few Rights we have left.

Getting fired without even a hearing out, or hearing, like Google's handpicked female VP of HR, who fired a guy for even SUGGESTING an open discussion, is the new Soup Nazi. Corps. stating you've "violated their culture" without explaining who it was inside that made that decision, and of course, there is no appeal, is one step short of shipping people "off to zu kamps, ver werk vil make them free".

Example: I had a FOI application and several letters to a govt. department that started bald-faced lying to me, lying by omission, and covering their hind end. If you read ONE of my response letters you could easily get the wrong impression, but I'm trying to flush out people that don't answer, and don't think they answer, to any citizen of the realm.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:24 PM

436 posts, read 186,305 times
Ahhh...Freedom of speech.

This is something that is slowly being taken away. Well, depends on what side of the spectrum you're on.

Let's see... Alex Jones was censured on YouTube for his beliefs and podcasts. I really do not like using him as an example. Never really believed anything he said. BUT on the other hand, you have these people threatening the lives of others and terrorizing. And nothing gets said or done about it.

I don't do the Facebook or Twitter thing. My boss likes to throw that in our faces. About posting the wrong thing can lead to termination. Of course, I butt heads with him regarding the First Amendment. I get him worked up too. Hahaha. But I reassure him that I don't use those platforms.

In regards to Civil Service, you just have to be careful of what you post.

Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM

9,741 posts, read 5,381,218 times
While I'm generally opposed to taking punitive measures against someone if their actions have not physically harmed another, I fully support a business owner's right to fire someone for behaving like an ass or jerk. At the end of the day, this woman's actions could have cost her employer business (fair or not). Then there's the whole question of whether a business owner wants such a vile person working for him/her, even if there were no adverse actions taken by the members of the paying public.

Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM

9,547 posts, read 7,479,248 times
Why not? There could adverse effects for the business. All of our actions have consequences.

Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM

7,052 posts, read 2,560,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post

Do you think being fired was an appropriate response to the twitter post? .
Here in the USA, most states are "at will employment" which means an employer can fire someone for any reason or no reason at all. Many people cannot grasp this concept or what it means.

Old Today, 04:47 AM

15,652 posts, read 9,227,331 times
thread closed because of too many insufficient or inappropriate posts - posts that are redundant and/or don’t advance the debate. When a thread is this long at Great Debates, it’s almost all rehashing the same ground, and rare for anyone to have something new and substantive to contribute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or