U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 10:36 PM

19,329 posts, read 9,102,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
There's a difference between making a statement at work that upsets fellow employees or customers, making a statement in private account that discusses fellow employees or customers, or making a statement in private account about something that has nothing to do with job.

In this third case, the employer should not be able to retaliate.

If I make a statement on my private Facebook account that I see the Affirmative Action in colleges as unfair, should my employer be able to fire me for this because it may upset other employees or customers ?

What if I vote Republican and this upsets employees or customers who vote Democrat ?

How is the corporate censorship of private lives of their employees any better than Goverment suppression of free speech ?
Exactly.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:41 PM

17,983 posts, read 8,789,007 times
Quote:
There's a difference between making a statement at work that upsets fellow employees or customers, making a statement in private account that discusses fellow employees or customers, or making a statement in private account about something that has nothing to do with job.

If I make a statement on my private Facebook account that I see the Affirmative Action in colleges as unfair, should my employer be able to fire me for this because it may upset other employees or customers ?

What if I vote Republican and this upsets employees or customers who vote Democrat ?

How is the corporate censorship of private lives of their employees any better than Goverment suppression of free speech ?
I had a friend many years ago who was out to dinner with his girlfriend. During the conversation she asked how his day was. Without naming the company or any specific names, he told her he was tired of working with a bunch of a-hole$, one of whom was sitting nearby, unbeknownst to him. He lost his job over that. This is no different. If someone expresses that they dislike the job, the clients or customers, the people they work with, or post how much they party, etc., in a public place, and it gets back to the parties involved, do you honestly think it won't change anything? Or will change something for the good?

My kids are in their twenties and the large universities they attended told them to be careful what they posted on Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin. Stay away from religion, political parties, drinking, drugs, badmouthing people you've worked with or for. Religion and political affiliation may not be fair to judge someone on, but people do judge that sometimes, so they caution against it.

As I said before, if nothing else, it shows a complete lack of common sense to post for the world to see and then act surprised that the world saw it.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:46 PM

42,361 posts, read 32,106,730 times
Quote:

Most employment is at will. Either party may terminate the arrangement for any or no reason.

Have you ever read the terms and conditions associated with Facebook or any other social media. You relinquish ownership of anything you post. Unless you use privacy settings, your posts are public information. Seems most people include the name of their employer in their public profile.

Don't like the terms and conditions? Close your account.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:07 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,600,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most employment is at will. Either party may terminate the arrangement for any or no reason.
Not quite true. Try to fire someone for being Black or Asian or Mormon etc.

"For any reason except xxx as defined by law" is a more accurate statement.

And the law can be expanded, if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Have you ever read the terms and conditions associated with Facebook or any other social media. You relinquish ownership of anything you post. Unless you use privacy settings, your posts are public information. Seems most people include the name of their employer in their public profile.

Don't like the terms and conditions? Close your account.
But you can't prevent others from posting about your activity on social sites. Every time we go to parties with friends, some of them post photos from these parties where they name every single person in the photo. Half of these photos make me want to take their phone and shove it up the "photographer"'s rear - not because I was caught doing something stupid, but because they somehow manage to find the most unflattering angle or facial expression.

You have no exclusive control over your own photos or description of your actions in this day and age, and there's simply no way around this. And it will only get worse, with proliferation of wearable tech and facial recognition. Your private activity will be traced by countless devices all over the place, feeding information to servers that are able to connect your face with your name, and posting it everywhere and anywhere.

Imagine this - a young couple kissing on the beach.

Now imagine this 10-20 years from now. Everyone has Google glass like device. Dozens of people on that beach are taking photos of this couple without them knowing. The photos get uploaded to social sites. The facial recognition software matches couple's faces to the data they have from other sources (not necessarily the couple themselves - photos posted by friends, classmates, church outing etc.) and automatically tags them. So instead of someone bold snapping and posting a photo "here's a cute young couple I saw on the beach" you have dozens if not hundreds of people posting a photo "here's Jack Daniels, 19 years old, from Birmingham AL, making out with Wendy Peppa, 18 years old, from Hell Michigan".

Either it becomes unacceptable or illegal for the companies to censor their employees behavior outside of work when it has nothing to do with their primary work functions, or we will live in a totalitarian society where it's the companies, not the Government, dictating citizens how to live their lives.

Or, perhaps, there will be restrictions on dissemination and use of personal information without that person's express consent, and ways to erase this information from the net permanently.

I think this will eventually be legislated, one way or another. No telling which way it will end, though. But if nothing is done, the Stalinist Russia would seem like a freedom paradise.

Last edited by Ummagumma; 01-07-2016 at 11:27 PM..

Old 01-07-2016, 11:57 PM

8,088 posts, read 3,814,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I used this news story as an example only. My questions are regarding posting on the social media in general.

I'm trying to understand if some people do not understand the potential consequences, csd? And if they do, do they ever wonder if something written in 2016 on social media will be forever on the web and could have consequences in 2026?

Writing an inconsiderate post about another person or even something politically correct and 'socially acceptable' may not be PC and 'socially acceptable' in 10 years.

Indeed

Just imagine how posts of today (just like opinions or the Federalist Papers) will be viewed with the liberal myopic PC views of the times.
Leftists will always try to dismiss the message if they can demonize the views of the messengers of history.

`

Old 01-08-2016, 12:21 AM

6,212 posts, read 3,326,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
(snip)

Do you think being fired was an appropriate response to the twitter post? How far back, years, days, should a social media post be considered worthy of being fired? 5 years ago for instance?

It seems people are often being reported in the press as fired for posting to social media.

Are posters dumb to the consequences?

Why do people post controversial things to social media....things that could come back and haunt them? I am truly clueless.
She wasn't fired for posting to social media, exactly. IMO, she was fired for being a horrible person and revealing that for the world to see.

It's something like being fired for getting arrested for DUI. Some companies wouldn't want such a person working for them. Then if you were stupid enough to post about it on Facebook, that's yet another reason for them to fire you: you're too stupid to work on their business matters.

The poster doesn't say who she works for, so others must've spilled the beans on who her employer was. That then made her horrible actions at the restaurant reflect badly on the business.

So yes, right or wrong, we can be fired for our actions and statements, whether on social media or elsewhere.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:35 AM

9,870 posts, read 13,326,888 times
It seems a lot of drama queens run their mouths on SM and get into trouble........what a surprise.

Then they same drama queens get back on SM and beyotch about being a drama queen that got fired.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:10 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,448,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Absolutely. If you like your job, keep your mouth shut.
^^^This sounds very Communist! Does "Censorship" mean anything to you when it happens in a so called "free country"?

I think social media is or should be private. (Too many people haven't discovered the privacy settings, and that sucks. It sucks, because so much garbage is perpetuated that it's just embarrassing really. Shows complete lack of self respect).

If employees are spending time on social media while AT WORK they should be fired. (UNLESS They're job IS actually to manage a company social media accounts).

What people do in their private lives(after leaving work) is none of the employer's business UNLESS these employees are making direct attacks at their employer.

I think employers give themselves too many liberties, while INFRINGING on employees LIBERTIES & PRIVATE LIVES.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:31 AM

5,267 posts, read 707,605 times
I just hope that parents and teachers are using these kinds of examples in classrooms to tell what might happen if kids don't "censor themselves".

For example, it is okay to just say "don't text and drive", but I think a graphic image of a texting teenager followed by a gruesome photo of a mangled car in which she was killed while texting is much better.

Last edited by katharsis; 01-08-2016 at 07:57 AM..

Old 01-08-2016, 07:55 AM

8,875 posts, read 9,135,950 times
My thoughts on posting things on social media.

If it could come back to bite my ass in a court of law (or a job interview) ....I won't post it.

In general, I just don't post crap in general. My close friends get updates via real live conversations. No need to put a picture on the internet about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or