Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 07:59 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,713,247 times

Advertisements

Everyone who posts on social media sites should have their dear old mom as one of their friends or contacts, if possible, and never say anything that would offend her sensibilities. Do that and chances are you'll stay out of trouble.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:39 AM

774 posts, read 738,644 times
As an employer I can tell you this.

If any of my employees post, tweet, email ie anything negative about my company whether it be to complain about their job or whatever.... they are fired. It has occurred twice and will continue to happen. If they don't like their job or my company they can go elsewhere.

As far as tweeting ignorance such as the example in the OP, that would depend upon the job they held. Folks that do not work with anyone outside of the company would be fine (such as a warehouse associate) but if say one of my sales rep pulled in that kind of negative publicity then they would be gone. I have a clearly stated policy regarding social media that spells out being held accountable for any offensive content.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:48 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,739,160 times
One piece of nuance missing here...

She was not fired for her post on social media.
She was fired for the post by the restaurant owner on social media. He took a private message from her to him, screen shot it, posted up his reply, and then widely disseminated that. (Notice that her post is way too long to have been a tweet. It was clearly a private message, via email or facebook private message, from her directly to him.)

It was his post, not her post, that went viral.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:49 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,280,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post

If any of my employees post, tweet, email ie anything negative about my company whether it be to complain about their job or whatever.... they are fired. It has occurred twice and will continue to happen. If they don't like their job or my company they can go elsewhere.

As far as tweeting ignorance such as the example in the OP, that would depend upon the job they held. Folks that do not work with anyone outside of the company would be fine (such as a warehouse associate) but if say one of my sales rep pulled in that kind of negative publicity then they would be gone. I have a clearly stated policy regarding social media that spells out being held accountable for any offensive content.
And what about information posted about them by others ?

We're not in control of what is posted on social media about us, like it or not, and it will only get worse. Google glass was just a first try.

There should be laws that allow one to control that information (takedown requests) as well as laws prohibiting companies from using this info against their employees, with certain well defined exceptions.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:11 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,739,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post

Just a quick note, because I missed this part.
That is illegal, and the NLRB has been cracking down on employers who punish employees for complaining about their jobs. Check out the Audelia Santiago case for a recent example. Employees have a legal right to discuss conditions of employment, even in a public forum, without retaliation.

This memo issued last March addresses employer rules against talking about work conditions, including social media. http://apps.nlrb.gov/link/document.a...031d4581b37135
You can make such a ban, but you have to make it narrow enough to not cover discussing work conditions. They have a right to complain in public about your company.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:12 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,872,484 times
no

btw, my boss is a big fat gunky

Old 01-08-2016, 09:26 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,105,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
She was not an employee and therefore she was not fired. She rented a booth at a salon, on a month to month basis, fairly common.

Likely, her FB Account included the salon affiliation.

The salon made a business decision to sever the arrangement.
If there was affiliation then there is definite cause for termination (or not continuing the relationship).

This is primarily a millennial problem. I read an article that said that Gen-Z post-millennials are getting more wary of posting private details online due to privacy breaches and other issues.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:28 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,105,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Just a quick note, because I missed this part.
That is illegal, and the NLRB has been cracking down on employers who punish employees for complaining about their jobs. Check out the Audelia Santiago case for a recent example. Employees have a legal right to discuss conditions of employment, even in a public forum, without retaliation.

This memo issued last March addresses employer rules against talking about work conditions, including social media. http://apps.nlrb.gov/link/document.a...031d4581b37135
You can make such a ban, but you have to make it narrow enough to not cover discussing work conditions. They have a right to complain in public about your company.
Define "punishment". If it was abject termination without severance, etc. then I'd say that's fair. Even it was allowable it's pretty draconian of the employer.

However, if someone was complaining about work conditions all the time on Facebook, do you think that person would EVER get a promotion or more opportunity? Extremely doubtful. That may not be "retaliation"; in my mind that is just common sense.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:31 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,195,124 times
if you use twitter, you should be fired anyway, regardless of what you post.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:41 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,471,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
One piece of nuance missing here...

She was not fired for her post on social media.
She was fired for the post by the restaurant owner on social media. He took a private message from her to him, screen shot it, posted up his reply, and then widely disseminated that. (Notice that her post is way too long to have been a tweet. It was clearly a private message, via email or facebook private message, from her directly to him.)

It was his post, not her post, that went viral.
It isn't clear why she lost her job, but her post was on Facebook, not Twitter. She made it public and the partner of the restaurant responded in public.

I still think it's possible it was the aftermath/backlash that cost her the job. She has since deleted her Facebook account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates