Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 08:16 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,301,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
If I was going to post some ridiculous **** on social media, I surely wouldn't use my real name. That's just asking for trouble.

As for the lady being fired? I guess her employer can probably fire her for any reason.
And yet there are reasons that her employer can't fire her for. A leas not openly. Like race, gender, age, ethnicity, nationality, or sexual orientation.

I think this will eventually be legislated. One way or another.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:22 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times
It's not the grown adults doing this stuff I worry about. It's the 18-21 college demographic who just want to party and have a good time and sometimes they do stupid things or things in poor taste. But 5 years ago that didn't result in your name becoming a Google hit and linking you to a post or video for the rest of your life.

Think of the kid who had that YouTube video freaking out about Mac n cheese, yes he's not a good person who acted horribly.

But there is a part of me that feels bad that some of these kids have ruined their chances for the future in ways an 18 yr old can't fully grasp.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:25 PM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I understand that to a large degree. But at the same time, you cannot be an effective manager if you are trashing your subordinates in public. You cannot be an effective co-worker if you are making fun of your co-workers in public. You hurt people the you mock and insult, and you have lost the trust of anyone else who finds out about it.

In my case, I could have not said a thing and just fired the woman when things went bad at work. And they would have. Soon.

You don't get to be mean and work for me. You can have grouchy days, but not outright mean or carry tales that hurt others.
I don't disagree...entirely. In terms of the OP, generally speaking you ought to have freedom of speech. But, as with most things, there are limits. For example, a teacher "trashing" a burger joint seems like fair game. A teacher "trashing" colleagues or students or families...well, that's directly related to employment.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
I'd say the CEO position is different since he actually does single handheldy represent the company. This goes along with people in high visibility / spokesperson positions.
I still think it's a dangerous mixing of private life versus public life. I disagree totally with the executive's position, but I defend his right to act as he wishes in his private life.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I still think it's a dangerous mixing of private life versus public life. I disagree totally with the executive's position, but I defend his right to act as he wishes in his private life.
A CEO of a company is a public figure. He's the face of that company, he runs it and defines its strategy, and his actions have far more impact on that company's public image and bottom line than actions of a rank and file employee or even a manager. I'd say if you're in a top executive position, you have certain obligations that your employees don't have. Put it this way - I think it would be wrong for a religiously affiliated health organization like say a Catholic hospital to fire a nurse for having an abortion, but I don't see a problem for them asking a female CEO to step down for same.

Or to make another example - if I find out that an individual employee of a large company is a KKK member, I won't hold it against the company. But if it's the company CEO, this is different. He is running the company, he sets the rules, he hires people, his views and actions directly reflect upon that company.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:14 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In general, I don't think a person should be fired for what they say on social media, although -- like most things in life -- there are limits.

What amazes me about this thread is that so many people who go bonkers if government were to try to censor people, don't care a whit if big business tries to censor them. Hmmmmmmmmm.
Censoring by the government upsets people, so we complain about that.

Opinions or actions made public by an employee can upset customers or fellow employees. If an individual cannot resist the lure of making their activities and thoughts known, and it upsets people they work with or for, there could be consequences. If something they post raises red flags or puts them or the company they work for in a poor light, there could be consequences.

We aren't trying to censor anyone - we're expecting common sense. Social media users should exhibit that common sense by either censoring themselves or making their posts private.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:19 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
No / now if breaking laws or inciting hate crimes etc or anything improper with kids. Yes

Old 01-07-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

Opinions or actions made public by an employee can upset customers or fellow employees. If an individual cannot resist the lure of making their activities and thoughts known, and it upsets people they work with or for, there could be consequences. If something they post raises red flags or puts them or the company they work for in a poor light, there could be consequences.

We aren't trying to censor anyone - we're expecting common sense. Social media users should exhibit that common sense by either censoring themselves or making their posts private.
There's a difference between making a statement at work that upsets fellow employees or customers, making a statement in private account that discusses fellow employees or customers, or making a statement in private account about something that has nothing to do with job.

In this third case, the employer should not be able to retaliate.

If I make a statement on my private Facebook account that I see the Affirmative Action in colleges as unfair, should my employer be able to fire me for this because it may upset other employees or customers ?

What if I vote Republican and this upsets employees or customers who vote Democrat ?

How is the corporate censorship of private lives of their employees any better than Goverment suppression of free speech ?

Old 01-07-2016, 09:30 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
She was not an employee and therefore she was not fired. She rented a booth at a salon, on a month to month basis, fairly common.

Likely, her FB Account included the salon affiliation.

The salon made a business decision to sever the arrangement.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

I understand what you're saying, but I know your general slant on things here on C-D (as you probably know mine). So if I'm your boss, I should be able to fire you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates