Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 12:59 PM

102,115 posts, read 107,323,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
They couldn't have walked right through them. You mean they walked right by them? If you brush up against someone it's standard etiquette to say "excuse me." That goes for everyone. They don't owe a person any more "respect" just based on their age.

Also, I refuse to stand up and give an older person my seat unless they seem to have a disability of some sort. Otherwise, i'm going to stay seated. I've gotten some passive aggressive dirty looks because of it but I don't really care. Want a good seat? Get there early.
Old thread, revived recently by someone who's "not a member" at this point.

I took "walking through them" to mean that phenom, when a group of teens or 20-somethings walks together, chatting in a group, oblivious to the people walking toward them, and doesn't break up, to let the people through. This forces those walking toward them to break up (if in a couple) to let the kids through, or walk around them.

This isn't something new, and somehow unique to the Millennials. It has always been thus. There have always been clueless young people walking in groups, who are so wound up in their own little bubble, they're oblivious to the rest of humanity swirling around them, and about to crash into them, in some cases.

Nothing to see here, people; move along, move it along...

Old 03-11-2019, 02:12 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,620,336 times
I No, it’s the opposite way around. Seniors and older Americans, in general, seem to be increasingly rude to younger people.

Older Americans love to use the term millennials, much more than younger people use the term themselves. It seems to be used in a derogatory fashion to stereotype anyone under the age of 35. People love to pretend that we’re all Tidepod eating, clueless idiots who are whining about the ways of the world, while expecting everything to be handed to us. Not true. We’re saddled with more debt than ever, but have used online technology to our advantage. Many younger people have created careers for themselves that are based around the internet. This seems to have just created more fodder for older people to use in their stereotyping.

I don’t know if it’s bitterness from baby boomers about transitioning into old age, but it’s really silly. In my experience, my friends of similar ages always extend an extra amount of respect to older people.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:20 PM

88,271 posts, read 84,241,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I No, it’s the opposite way around. Seniors and older Americans, in general, seem to be increasingly rude to younger people.

Older Americans love to use the term millennials, much more than younger people use the term themselves. It seems to be used in a derogatory fashion to stereotype anyone under the age of 35. People love to pretend that we’re all Tidepod eating, clueless idiots who are whining about the ways of the world, while expecting everything to be handed to us. Not true. We’re saddled with more debt than ever, but have used online technology to our advantage. Many younger people have created careers for themselves that are based around the internet. This seems to have just created more fodder for older people to use in their stereotyping.

I don’t know if it’s bitterness from baby boomers about transitioning into old age, but it’s really silly. In my experience, my friends of similar ages always extend an extra amount of respect to older people.
A post complaining about stereotyping that does nothing but stereotype.

I am an older American, and I'm not even sure I know what a "millennial" is supposed to be. Nor do I know what "Tidepod eating" might be. Nor am I bitter about transitioning into old age, lmao.

Oh my.

What's obvious here is that self-righteous, stereotyping folks are found in all age groups.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:12 AM

3,494 posts, read 4,540,331 times
Socrates:
Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parent, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.

I heard the same type of complaints from my elders in the 50s and 50s. The same I heard from parents in the 70s, 80s, 90s, an on.

The older generations will always find negatives on the younger generation and the same from the young ones on the old ones.

Do I think the young ones today are more rude? I do think so. However, what is the positive of this generation?
I believe they are more socially conscious, politically conscious, and environmentally conscious.

It is good to include the positives of any issue to. We tend to see the negatives. That is why news media is so prosperous, because people tend to pay more attention to the negatives exposed on TV and the internet.

You have a great day.
elamigo

Old 03-14-2019, 08:15 AM

19,475 posts, read 12,109,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Not really. Most of these people are not what people would consider very wealthy. They live in modest homes, not mansions. They eat at Panera and shop at Lowes.

They are just exceedingly rude. It's a lifestyle, being a snowbird, and they have learned to play a role. They are HORRENDOUS. (6 more weeks and counting). They are entitled and run right over you in the grocery store as if you are invisible. As in with their carts. They come down here and act like spoiled, bratty jerks. I can't imagine they act like this at "home" where they've lived for 30 years and everyone knows them.
That sounds awful. I wonder why they are like that. Maybe they do act like that at home if they are from someplace where a lot of people are fast paced and rude. I know drivers in some cities are very aggressive and no one wants people from those cities driving in their area.

Or maybe they just think they are superior to the locals who live and work in the place they snowbird to. I could see some northeasterners acting this way.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:36 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,554,153 times
Yes. Kids were not often taught to be polite in the 1990s and early 2000s. Everywhere we went people would comment on how polite our kids were. They were not especially polite, just scraping the edge of acceptably polite. They would say please and thank you to the waitress and she would say "Wow your kids are so polite! You do not see that anymore." We got nearly shocked comments everywhere we went. Some people looked at us suspiciously, did we beat our children to force them to be so polite? Apparently politeness was not something parents often insisted upon during that time,

Old 03-14-2019, 04:46 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,465,637 times
As someone part of that age group, I don’t necessarily find that to be true. What is becoming more prevalent is the deconstruction of previously held tropes. Seniority is no longer being viewed as an absolute form of authority.

In a country like Australia, it is common to refer to one’s superiors by their first name. In fact, it’s highly encouraged. Would that be construed as rudeness elsewhere?

Old 03-17-2019, 08:20 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,291,991 times
Is the 20 and 30-something generations More Rude to Seniors than Previous Generations??

Although it has not been my experience (either in the north or the south and I am a senior) perhaps it does happen in certain areas of the country.

It's unfortunate your parents had that experience because it will likely color how they view young people in general.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:36 PM

658 posts, read 717,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
To some extent, it's just a function of being young. At that age, there tends to be a certain degree of obliviousness and self-absorption. People in their 20's aren't fully mature yet, their brains are still growing. Some are more mature than others. It's always been thus, in every generation. And they're not only that way with "elders", but with people their age, as well. Walking down the sidewalk in a group, spanning the entire sidewalk so no one else can get by, for example. Happens a lot.

It sounds like your parents are feeling invisible because of their age, but it really doesn't have anything to do with their age.
I don't think that's the case, being young. My mom taught me when I was a little child of probably four or so that I was to move out of a person's way on the sidewalk if they were older than me. I was taught to respect my elders and not talk back and argue with them. If I went to a friend's house and their mom gave me milk and I didn't like milk, I drank that milk and didn't complain. I was also taught never to look into people's homes (like when we walked past and a window or door was open). I have had people of all ages gaping into my window or door. It's pretty weird.

But no, please don't excuse them based on their not all there brains because I was barely out of toddlerhood and understood very clearly that I was to respect my elders. It was simple enough for a little kid to understand and carry out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates