Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 07:19 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times

Advertisements

I live in Ft. Myers Florida. Not one of the known art meccas...anywhere. However, the ignorance of just basic people still astounds me.

I can't believe how overly sensitive we Americans are. The statues created by S. American Artist are
causing disruption amongst those of more tender upbringing.

The Artist has depicted a man and his dog peeing on a pole...

What's amazing is that Europeans would find this laughable... and should so, imho.

It reminds me of the politician(s) a few years back who wanted to censor the statues in D.C.

Gimmie a break. I guess we should recreate the works of Michaelango while we're at it.

If I ever hit the lottery I'm off to other pastures. Geez.

Controversial downtown Fort Myers statue furthers debate on art - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 07:34 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
I've got a better one!

When a new sports center went up in our city, they hired an artist to create a life size bronze sculpture with a sports theme to hang on the outside wall.

He made a beautiful bronze sculpture of three athletes in various poses. The anatomy was very indistinct... no facial features, just rounded small breasts with no nipples or definition of a crotch on the woman, and just a lump at the crotch area on the men.

A few BACKWARDS IDIOTS in the city complained about the nudity and the city made him take them down to re-sculpture clothes on them.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:07 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I've got a better one!

When a new sports center went up in our city, they hired an artist to create a life size bronze sculpture with a sports theme to hang on the outside wall.

He made a beautiful bronze sculpture of three athletes in various poses. The anatomy was very indistinct... no facial features, just rounded small breasts with no nipples or definition of a crotch on the woman, and just a lump at the crotch area on the men.

A few BACKWARDS IDIOTS in the city complained about the nudity and the city made him take them down to re-sculpture clothes on them.
Is it really better or is it just a different one?

Old 01-11-2016, 08:31 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
These folks could never visit Brussels then, the Manneken Pis fountain would horrify them.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:49 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times
"Art is subjective." "Art is subject to interpretation." That's how the man defended the statue.

I don't see what anyone should "interpret" from a statue of a man peeing on the sidewalk. What's next? A statue of a woman removing a tampon? A teenager popping a zit? How about someone straining due to constipation?

WHY should the public be subjected to "art" depicting things we as a society consider private, bathroom activities? This isn't even in a museum, where one can choose to go see it or not. It's right out on a street in downtown.

It's not that I am "offended," but rather I just find it stupid and low-class.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:42 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I live in Ft. Myers Florida. Not one of the known art meccas...anywhere. However, the ignorance of just basic people still astounds me.

I can't believe how overly sensitive we Americans are. The statues created by S. American Artist are
causing disruption amongst those of more tender upbringing.

The Artist has depicted a man and his dog peeing on a pole...

What's amazing is that Europeans would find this laughable... and should so, imho.

It reminds me of the politician(s) a few years back who wanted to censor the statues in D.C.

Gimmie a break. I guess we should recreate the works of Michaelango while we're at it.

If I ever hit the lottery I'm off to other pastures. Geez.

Controversial downtown Fort Myers statue furthers debate on art - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida
Yup, this is what happens when art and art history programs get continuously cut from education. An ignorant society with complete lack of artistic understanding and culture. I see nothing wrong with this statue. There isn't anything crude or inappropriate about it. He is leaning on a pole with his hand near his crotch and might be peeing. So friggin what?? The fact that it is rousing curiosity, discussion and causing a reaction means the artwork is doing it's job. Too bad people in this country are so prudish and highly offended by anything out of the norm. Women can't even breastfeed in public here, something perfectly natural, designed by nature to feed babies, without some people getting in s huff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
"Art is subjective." "Art is subject to interpretation." That's how the man defended the statue.

I don't see what anyone should "interpret" from a statue of a man peeing on the sidewalk. What's next? A statue of a woman removing a tampon? A teenager popping a zit? How about someone straining due to constipation?

WHY should the public be subjected to "art" depicting things we as a society consider private, bathroom activities? This isn't even in a museum, where one can choose to go see it or not. It's right out on a street in downtown.

It's not that I am "offended," but rather I just find it stupid and low-class.
Because that is what art is and is supposed to do. It's supposed to be interpretted by the individual. There is no single answer, which is why I enjoy it.

This artwork is a depiction of an everyday activity. Artwork has been created like this since artwork began. There is a beautiful statue called "Nike adjusting her sandal" and that's exactly what it is.

Nike Adjusting her Sandal - Studying Art History

Artwork like this can show unity, that we are all the same. That even this guy, a towering statue, has to stop and take a pee. He also seems tired or maybe he is intoxicated and makes an error in judgment like we all have done at some point while under the influence. A statue of a woman changing her tampon would again show the normalcy of a woman's natural cycle. I wouldn't find anything offensive about it. A teen popping his/her zit, again shows the unity and normalcy of an issue we all face. It brings these "private matters" to the foreground and shows that we shouldn't be ashamed of having a period or a zit or needing to pee.

Why in the middle of town!??? Because we NEED to see art everyday. We need that splash of culture, our daily routine shook up and we need artwork to interweave with our daily lives.

The artists Christo and Jean Claude create their large scale, installation pieces in public areas for this very reason. They want you to be confronted by the art, to have it become part of your daily routine.

Christo+J-C | Artworks | Realized Projects

Old 01-11-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Yup, this is what happens when art and art history programs get continuously cut from education. An ignorant society with complete lack of artistic understanding and culture. I see nothing wrong with this statue. There isn't anything crude or inappropriate about it. He is leaning on a pole with his hand near his crotch and might be peeing. So friggin what?? The fact that it is rousing curiosity, discussion and causing a reaction means the artwork is doing it's job. Too bad people in this country are so prudish and highly offended by anything out of the norm.
]
So if someone doesn't care for a particular piece of art, and doesn't consider it something that should be prominently displayed on a sidewalk, that person is "ignorant"? And you will blame that on art programs being cut from schools?

I have several art majors, including an MFA, in my family. I took art appreciation as an elective in college (not at all claiming that makes me special in any way, just mentioning it). I am not "ignorant." I also said I was not "offended" by the statue. I am the farthest thing you'll find from a "prude."

I happen to find it amusing that the arts community has decided that a purpose of art is "to cause a reaction." It takes no talent to "cause a reaction." Anyone can stir up a controversy. Big deal. And yet, the very controversy that art like this peeing-man-statue has caused, leads the artsy-fartsy folks to insult those of us who voice our opinion.

So which is it? Do you want a reaction? Or do you just want us to roll our eyes and keep our mouths shut?

Old 01-11-2016, 04:08 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Art is a diverse range of human activities in creating visual, auditory or performing artifacts – artworks, expressing the author's imaginative or technical skill, intended to be appreciated for their beauty or emotional power.[1][2] In their most general form these activities include the production of works of art, the criticism of art, the study of the history of art, and the aesthetic dissemination of art.

There is no beauty or emotional power in that thing. Also, it reminded me of unfortunately, a bit out of its time movie, Idiocracy. When there is only one movie in theaters, called As* and all it's doing is showing a naked human just that, to non stop giggle and laugh in the audience.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:22 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
I find the statue of a man and dog urinating to be in bad taste, but I'm not offended. People work very hard to be offended these days.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I find the statue of a man and dog urinating to be in bad taste, but I'm not offended. People work very hard to be offended these days.
I don't think anyone in this thread has says they were offended.

I just find it to be about as classy as fart jokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates