Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 03:23 PM

50,368 posts, read 23,960,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Hmmm............you don't think the original wearers of sombreros frequently got drunk on tequila much like American cowboys wearing their version of cowboy hats frequently got drunk on whiskey?

That seems kind of naïve to me.

And surely both instances are a part of American and Mexican culture. Not the sum total, but a part.
So would you celebrate American culture by dressing as a Klansman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 03:37 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,757,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
You don't really know whether or not they were celebrating other facets of Mexican or Latin culture. The host was apparently half Columbian.

All we have seen is the pic on face book which showed the tiny sombreros and the info they were drinking tequila as well as the inference from the invite that it was indeed a fiesta even though they didn't call it that.

We have no knowledge if there was food, music, dancing, other symbols/costumes etc of related culture involved.

Given they are college students I agree their primary purpose was probably drinking. No sin there really as that is a rite of passage at most colleges.

Your idea of the perfect party to celebrate Mexican culture is far removed from the sensibilities and maybe even the resources available to these kids. Some of them no doubt are 1-10%ers, but even that doesn't mean they have unlimited funds to purchase multiple types of tequila lol.

How many different brands of tequila would make it a culturally appropriate celebration? Get real.

As for doing vodka shots and celebrating Russian culture, you would be wrong again.

First, the college sponsored some Cold War party with a wall between two of their houses where people did wear Russian fur hats. I doubt there were vodka shots at the official party, but I have no doubt some of those people wandered off after the parties end and did vodka shots in Russian hats later lol.

Anyway, I don't need to be sure of that, because I myself have worn a Russian fur hat provided to me by a real Russian immigrant while doing vodka shots and celebrating other food and music related to Russian culture. Some people(Russians) were homesick, but none were offended and a great time was had by all whether they were recent Russian immigrants or other versions of Americans.
You can drink tequila without claiming to have a Mexican party. If they did that there would be no issues. I don't go around dressing in my carnival outfit when I want to drink capirinhas. I just drink them.

And being half Colombian has nothing to do with Mexico. That doesn't give you a pass.

It is really simple: college students don't need a theme party to get drunk. And if it is a theme party why not make it unrelated to any culture and trying to turn them into a costume and serve whatever booze you want.

Last edited by jade408; 03-13-2016 at 04:45 PM..

Old 03-13-2016, 04:01 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,266,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
And if it is a them party why not make it unrelated to any culture and trying to turn them in5o a costume and serve whatever booze you want.
Because that is your unimaginative idea. Have your own dull party, chica. We're going to fiesta!

Old 03-13-2016, 04:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,757,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Because that is your unimaginative idea. Have your own dull party, chica. We're going to fiesta!
Superhero party? 80s tv show party? Americans party? Burning Man Party? Hee Haw party? star Warns party? neon party? cross dressing party?

We always had skirt parties in college with a variety of booze. No cultural appropriation necessary.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:55 PM

19 posts, read 14,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

It is insane to think of the difference a few generations make. The great grand parents of these molly coddled kids that can't seem to handle anything outside of their tiny comfort zone experienced WW2.
These kids are offended at the "drop of a hat" and Meanwhile halfway round the world their peers are getting shot up in the middle east and living gruesome scenes everyday.
Well said!

And when did it become a civil right to never be the least-little-bit offended? I have been offended many times in my life, and expect to be offended many more, and you know what? YOU LIVE THROUGH IT. Unpleasant? Yes. Unbearable? NO. To teach people that they should never have to endure any dissent or discomfort in this life is foolhardy, unless you are trying to create a race of thin-skinned butterflies.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:57 PM

3,556 posts, read 4,375,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
When will this silly PC nonsense end?
When will it end? No time soon!

No time soon for many many reasons. And, it's a sad state of affairs when this so called Political Correctness spills into and interferes with standard workplace practices. Say I this because, just last week, my supervisor informed us about a new Employee Evaluation Process (EEP). The new EEP will now force the evaluator to consider, not only the employee's sex, but also their generation before an evaluation is rendered.

Yes! I and others will now have to weigh and compare an employee's performance to their particular generation, be it, Gen-X, Gen-Y, or Millennials. Supposedly, each generation harbors a different "sensitivity level" which should be "considered" when guaging their performance.

Upon hearing such nonsense, a few of us chuckled at this absurdity. Yet, not a one of us laughed when told that, very soon, the "Vocal Tone" of a direct instruction to subordinate employees might be considered reasonable grounds for an employee's refusal to follow such instructions. This again having to do with that particular employee's generational "sensitivity level".

I work in the power generation industry. I've worked in this field for 31 years. Aside from stressful, the job can at times be dangerous and life threatening. There is absolutely no place for such absurdities in this type of working environment where orders and instructions are to be precisely followed at a moment's notice. There is absolutely no F_cking room in this working environment to consider generational sensitivities, especially when it could result in irreversible injury or damage.

I'm getting too old for BS like this, and I'll be God Damned if I'm gonna play this generational sensitivity game for the sake of political correctness.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:05 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,397,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So would you celebrate American culture by dressing as a Klansman?
That's a red herring. I personally would not see any reason to celebrate a group of American terrorists and in some cases criminals as representative of American culture at large. There might be some reason to portray them in some historical context, but certainly not while drinking lol as a lot of their activity was directed at prohibiting the use of alcohol.

If they are a part of anyone elses culture, before dressing up you should check your states anti mask laws with regard to public and private property, because you might just be commiting a crime.

As I said, the sombrero is a Mexican cowboy hat. So, wearing one is not different than someone dressing up as an American cowboy. I suppose there are those who might be offended by someone American or not dressing up as an American cowboy, but I cant imagine why.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
White Christians have more power and money than any other group in this country. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, it's unseemly. And pathetic.

By the way, I'm a white Christian. And a left wing Democrat. And worse yet, one of those trade unionists too, you know, a "put it on the check" liberal--the kind your corporate bosses fear far more than they fear economically non threatening "social" liberals.

When are you social conservatives going to wake up to the fact that your biggest enemies are the economic conservatives? The greatest force in this country for social change is capitalism--that's what destroyed the family farm (and the family), weakened faith in religion, encourages Godless materialism, turns sex into a consumer product and sells you social conservatives down the river every time. Get wise.

The same could be said of the Latino students at Bowdoin.

They are among less than 2000 students selected to attend one of the most prestigious colleges in the country. Their selection was need blind and they are guaranteed to graduate without student debt......translation if they made the cut its all paid for if they or their families are unable to pay for it.

The ratio of student to faculty is approx. 9:1. They are coddled beyond belief even if nothing offends them.

They will be unless they screw it up it the upper echelons of American society via there contacts with fellow Bowdoin students who are already in the upper echelons of American society by virtue of birth or family connections as well as having access to successful Bowdoin alumni.

They been given an opportunity, whether by earning it or the colleges desire to increase diversity there, that most white Christians or any other American could only dream of.

Its unseemly that they should be focusing on a silly party. If their concern is for the improvement of the life of Latino's in America surely there are more important things for them to be focused on and working towards.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You can drink tequila without claiming to have a Mexican party. If they did that there would be no issues. I don't go around dressing in my carnival outfit when I want to drink capirinhas. I just drink them.

And being half Colombian has nothing to do with Mexico. That doesn't give you a pass.

It is really simple: college students don't need a theme party to get drunk. And if it is a theme party why not make it unrelated to any culture and trying to turn them into a costume and serve whatever booze you want.
Sure you can drink tequila without claiming to have a Mexican party or fiesta, but there's also no law in either Mexico or American that says you cant drink tequila and say you are having a Mexican or Latino party either.

The Brazilians I know wouldn't care if you drink capirinhas and wear your carnival outfit.

As for the half Colombian host, I guess you are not aware that Colombians have a traditional sombrero as well. Its different from the Mexican version, but still a cowboy hat. The rim is broad but the crown is flatter and its usually not as colorful. Still sombrero/fiesta.........totally part of the Colombian culture.

No one needs a reason, a theme or a party to drink. And yet, people all over the globe sometimes like to drink at a party, with other people, with whatever theme they want. Who the heck are you to tell them they cant?

Old 03-13-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They were supposed to dress like Mexicans.

In other news, those boys were suspended.

Ah ok.

I don't know why a school would set this up as they should understand that is it is fraught with potential problems. I mean I never heard of a school telling kids to dress like African Americans.

But, since they did, I would say suspension is a little harsh and instead they should have sent them home to change and use this as a teaching moment regarding the value of an honest days labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates