Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2016, 09:47 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
A very large part of it was pure luck.

Different cultures happened to have been in power at different times throughout history. Greeks, Romans, Arabians, etc. all controlled vast empires at different times. For example, the technological, cultural, and economic levels of the Moors (definitely not white) .

What race were the Moors?

Old 03-12-2016, 09:52 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
Give it a few thousand years like the Egyptians or other societies . the west is on top right now. We won't be around when the Asians rule the world. Lol

Old 03-12-2016, 10:14 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
This is a touchy topic. I am not white so don't blame me for not knowing about exactly which demography among whites achieved what it did in arts/science/infrastructure etc. For me its just the white civilization that created cities like Sydney and Toronto and NYC.

I created a similar topic a few years ago. There was a debate panel at my Uni and this question arose. The white guy sitting there(a very non PC pandering dude) stated simply this: Most whites have a individualist mindset. A desire to explore the unknown, a desire of creativity, a desire of self expression. Most other immigrants are simply collectivist in their approach. A Pakistani will favor Pakistani culture, an African American will usually side with his own ilk(OJ Simpson had support of 97% African Americans even though deep down they knew he was wrong). This is what made this civilization what it was especially the early 20th century generation who built these cities, lay a foundation, questioned irrationality.

He also said that this is why the world is dumbing down. Today's youngsters are self centered and clueless. Everyone is PC correct(except when it comes to issues relating to whites) and the minority model of tribalism will eventually destroy civilization. The forefathers who lived in the 20s-60s created a just society which is being slowly but surely eradicated.

What is your take on this debate. Be honest.
We have not been overly successful in the US. I see new imigrants, particularly from Asia, arriving here and accomplishing what the average WASP hasn't done in 200 years - in two generations.
Before the Asians arrived, we had the Eastern Central European Jews. Talk about an ethnic group that wasn't even Christian, learned English and began to attend and graduate from some of the finest colleges in America. And, becoming doctors, lawyers, university professors, dentists and accountants.

Then you have the Mediterraneans and Middle Eastern people. Some Christian, some not. None WASP.
They are hugely represented in the ranks of professionals. Again, doctors, layers, businessmen and restaurateurs. They have done well.

I have done well. But, I am an anomaly in my family. I am half Irish, Scotch-Irish and English, on my mother's side and Swedish on my father's side.

My parents are white and Protestant as you can get. Four siblings. One is a slum lord. College drop out. Another went to an infamous "Christian" college and became a teacher. Another, a college drop out who works as a volunteer in an anti abortion clinic. The last one is rather attractive and married an engineer, another a dental assistant.

And all this illustrious bunch does is complain about immigrants.

I don't think there is anything special about the Anglo Saxon.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:38 PM

251 posts, read 203,705 times
Guns, germs, and steel (book by Jared Diamond). Fueled by cooperative aggression and the professional army perfected by the Romans.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:05 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
What?

Seriously, what?

The IQ test has NEVER been a barometer of economic success.

That is like comparing a red car to your ability to swim.

One has nothing to do with the other.
Of course it does...in the USA, the top quartile on IQ averages making 450% more than the bottom quartile. It's true that some intelligent people have been constrained by their governments such as China under Mao, Russians under Communism, Indians in corrupt India but in a more fair and open system, intelligence is going to be by far the biggest factor in economic success...even more than education level.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:41 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
probably the same reason why the egyptions -> greeks -> romans ... were so successful.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:57 PM

569 posts, read 551,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
This is a touchy topic. I am not white so don't blame me for not knowing about exactly which demography among whites achieved what it did in arts/science/infrastructure etc. For me its just the white civilization that created cities like Sydney and Toronto and NYC.

I created a similar topic a few years ago. There was a debate panel at my Uni and this question arose. The white guy sitting there(a very non PC pandering dude) stated simply this: Most whites have a individualist mindset. A desire to explore the unknown, a desire of creativity, a desire of self expression. Most other immigrants are simply collectivist in their approach. A Pakistani will favor Pakistani culture, an African American will usually side with his own ilk(OJ Simpson had support of 97% African Americans even though deep down they knew he was wrong). This is what made this civilization what it was especially the early 20th century generation who built these cities, lay a foundation, questioned irrationality.

He also said that this is why the world is dumbing down. Today's youngsters are self centered and clueless. Everyone is PC correct(except when it comes to issues relating to whites) and the minority model of tribalism will eventually destroy civilization. The forefathers who lived in the 20s-60s created a just society which is being slowly but surely eradicated.

What is your take on this debate. Be honest.

As the young successors, the White People are very bold.

The good thing for them was that the most of the dominant Eastern cultures were rather beneveolent. The oriental rulers would never think of melting the ores into a big metal clad pot, then burnt half of the forest for a ridiculous slow sailing speed to another part of the world.

It was like the Chinese rulers alwasy said "All we needed were here."

Now they found out when it was like in the depletions of the resources.

If a person couldn't be satisfied with a simple toast, wherefore to satisfy. Nice try. They are cute. And they bring the indiviualism into this part of the world. And they are just childish when encountering the pompous peoples in a quatruim zone.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:55 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
A very large part of it was pure luck.

Different cultures happened to have been in power at different times throughout history. Greeks, Romans, Arabians, etc. all controlled vast empires at different times. For example, the technological, cultural, and economic levels of the Moors (definitely not white) were vastly superior to those of the Europeans during the dark ages. The Moors had universal education at a time when 99% of Europeans were illiterate.
  • By pure luck, white Europeans were in power when technology reached a point to allow reliable global travel and exploration, so they are the ones who colonized and conquered the largest percentage of the globe.
  • By pure luck, 95% of the AmerIndian population on two entire continents was wiped out by a apocalyptic plague (arguably caused by European diseases). If not for this fact the AmerIndians would have eventually kicked the European's collective a**es. Instead, two entire continents were empty and ready for a takeover by the culture that happened to be in power at the time. This vast expansion of territory magnified their power growth.
  • By pure luck, sub-Saharan Africans were at a low-point of power during this time, and were driven even further down by the slave trade.
  • European culture never expanded to the far east because of the vast distances and massive geographic barriers (mountains & desert separating the middle east from the far east; huge oceans and two continents separating them in the other direction). But because of the sudden massive technological advances along with a lot of luck (see three items above) they were left behind until the 20th Century.

Think about it... if the Moors had been in power during the onset of the Industrial Age the world would be a vastly different place.
Don't you mean the Moops?😄

Old 03-13-2016, 10:37 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Of course it does...in the USA, the top quartile on IQ averages making 450% more than the bottom quartile. It's true that some intelligent people have been constrained by their governments such as China under Mao, Russians under Communism, Indians in corrupt India but in a more fair and open system, intelligence is going to be by far the biggest factor in economic success...even more than education level.
Plenty of people with low IQs make tons of money.

I agree smarter people make more money but most geniuses I know can't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

I am a member of MENSA. Ever go to one of their meetings? On the whole, these are not overly financially successful people.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
The White Anglo-Saxon Race successful? Get real. Just ask any Southern Aristocrat and you will soon learn that the Anglo-Saxons are the peasants that exist to serve the needs of their Franco-Norman betters. All the rest of the world's humans are under people only good for exploitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates