Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:40 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,616 times

Advertisements

The Europeans have made their decisions over what kind of future they want. They make decisions not based on improving their nations and peoples, but on ideological fantasies and unrealistic principles.

So, the results are totally predictable. Expect more of the kind of mess, riots, and protests you have seen. Europe has made their bed.

Now, get jobs for these refugees and migrants.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:36 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times
What did you want to debate?

If you just wanted to rant and state your position on some random topic your post belongs in the Politics and Other Controversies forum.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

Also,
*****A Must Read For Great Debate Posters*****

Old 03-28-2016, 12:52 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,412 times
The reason why we should worry for Europe is because they are the origin of the Occident. Everything we know about Western civilization is slowly being destroyed because spineless leaders in Europe are afraid of offending people by preserving their national heritage and culture.

What I predict is a political backlash from far right parties. We'll see a lot more racism, pain, and "intolerance" before things start to rectify themselves.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:07 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
The reason why we should worry for Europe is because they are the origin of the Occident. Everything we know about Western civilization is slowly being destroyed because spineless leaders in Europe are afraid of offending people by preserving their national heritage and culture.

What I predict is a political backlash from far right parties. We'll see a lot more racism, pain, and "intolerance" before things start to rectify themselves.
are europeans children? are they not adults? do they not have a grown up's sense of how things work?

what they find themselves in has been decades of democratic choices they have made.

the world is what it is. it'll always be what it has always been. if europeans thought otherwise, they deserve the results.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:38 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,410 times
You are not making any sense. Who says your interpretation of how things work is correct? Who says mine is? Hint - no one....

Also are you talking about the European Continental Landmass, the European Union or the European Economic Community when yo u refer to "Europeans"? Let's assume you have the generic view that Europe is one homogenized mass somewhere on the other side of the Atlantic.

If you care to study the 2015 top 10 best countries to live, based on the World Happiness Report issued by United Nations General Assembly, you will find 7 of those top 10 countries are in the European Continent. The US isn’t even in the top 10 (#17 actually).
{http://unsdsn.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/WorldHappinessReport2013_online.pdf}

When you turn to prosperity, the Legatum Institute in London rated a countries prosperity in terms of the economy, entrepreneurship and opportunity, governance, education, health, safety and security, personal freedom and social capital. Here's a shocker for you, the US was NOT in the top 10....

Here's the list:
Norway
Switzerland
Denmark
New Zealand
Sweden
Canada
Australia
Netherlands
Finland
Ireland

I'll make it easy for you, 7 of those countries are in the EU continent.
{http://www.li.com/programmes/prosperity-index}

What about healthcare? Hmm, I wonder where those pesky European are in this ranking? Let's look at the World Health Organization's ranking of health care systems:
France
Italy
San Marino
Andorra
Malta
Singapore
Spain
Oman
Austria
Japan
{http://thepatientfactor.com/canadian-health-care-information/world-health-organizations-ranking-of-the-worlds-health-systems/}

Ah the magic #7 again. I must be making this stuff up, it can't possibly be true.

The US spends the most of the 10 industrialized nations on healthcare, at 17.7% of GDP, but comes dead [pun intended] last in terms of the ranking of those 10 countries.
{http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/fund-reports/2014/jun/mirror-mirror}

I must be lying, say it’s not so! Surely there must be one thing that the US is #1 in? Yep there it is. The US is #1 in terms of incarcerating our own citizens. We managed to beat China, Russia and Brazil. Great, that's something to be proud of! The US represents 5% of the world population but houses 25% of the world prisoners.
{http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/uk/06/prisons/html/nn2page1.stm}

Shall I keep going? Ok then-
We join Lesotho, Swaziland and New Guinea as the only countries in the World not mandate paid maternity leave.
We are the only advanced economy that doesn't mandate paid vacation.
We don't guarantee any paid sick days.
We spend the most per student on education at all levels, but come #4 in ranking by the OECD in the international student assessment.
We spend more on our military than any other country and more than the next 6 COMBINED.
We are the #1 exporter of weapons in the world.
We have the highest numbers of guns per capita in the world.
We consume more calories from sweeteners than any other country.
We consume the highest # of calories per day (3770).
We spend more on health care than any other industrialized country.
Prescription drugs cost more in the US than any other country.
We're #1 at creating super rich people, at the expense of everyone else.
The US has the highest inequality in in the marginal taxes rates as compared to overall income.
{source http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/29/american-exceptionalism_n_4170683.html}

Yep, we are really doing great!

How can you argue that "They make decisions not based on improving their nations and peoples, but on ideological fantasies and unrealistic principles. " when the results clearly show that "they" are contented and happy with their choices and those "fantasies" are, in reality, practical policy choices.

Can you point to examples of what you mean when referring to "mess, riots, and protests"? I can't seem to find any references to wholesale riots and protests in this generic Europe you speak of.

Look, no place on earth is perfect, but it seems to me, based on hard metrics, that the US is no panacea, and just perhaps, maybe, other countries are doing things better and more consistently.

Oh, by the way, and this is a trivial point given the gravity of the discussion, sentences begin with a CAPITOL letter, as you should have learned in early grade school.

Last edited by timfountain; 03-28-2016 at 09:03 PM..

Old 03-30-2016, 01:28 AM

725 posts, read 805,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
The Europeans have made their decisions over what kind of future they want. They make decisions not based on improving their nations and peoples, but on ideological fantasies and unrealistic principles.

So, the results are totally predictable. Expect more of the kind of mess, riots, and protests you have seen. Europe has made their bed.

Now, get jobs for these refugees and migrants.

I worry for Europe because I'm white and I don't want to see my people destroyed. Every other group on earth is entitled to have space exclusively for its people to be safe, prosper, grow, breed and practice its own culture and customs whether it's blacks, Asians, Indians, or Arabs. Whites are entitled to the same and Europe is our homeland.

Democracy is the mob rule of one group over another. It is a form of slavery where one group forces the other to live by its demands. I care for the people who didn't choose this for Europe or were deceived by vile politicians (who often vote against the will of the people) and were betrayed by judges, the military and police who don't look out for the future of their people when they could have stopped this calamity

Old 03-31-2016, 02:32 PM

13,650 posts, read 9,711,429 times
I worry for Europe, because the European economy is huge, and Europe's economic footprint in global trade and global stock-markets is undeniable. It doesn't concern me, as to who immigrates where and why; their race, creed, or anything else about their persons or origins. What concerns me is getting the DAX and the FTSE and so forth to grow, to keep the Pound and the Euro strong, to keep global trade and banking and information-exchange vibrant. This is the economic side. On the cultural side, I'd like to see European literature, music (that is, classical music), philosophy, art and architecture flourish. Whether these arts are practiced by people of light-skin or dark-skin, or Christian or Muslim or atheist or whatnot persuasion, is immaterial.

I worry that Europe lacks fortitude and panache, cohesion and drive, willingness to take risks, willingness to look beyond narrowly parochial or short-term interests. I see a Europe in paralysis, a Europe unimpressed with its own past, and cravenly fearful of any possible future. And I'm dismayed by how far America and Europe seem to be pulling apart, distancing themselves, as if they held one another in derision and simmering loathing.

I worry that worldwide we're descending into crude populism and xenophobia, into budding police-states and kneejerk segregation into us-and-them. Ultimately this is disastrous for markets and economies, for culture and for global progress.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:21 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,954 times
There is no need to be worried about Europe, especially not for Americans.

The U.S. has so much more problems than Europe. Americans should be worried about their own deficiencies.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:31 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
Best egotistic thread yet

Old 04-02-2016, 09:15 AM

13,249 posts, read 7,308,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
You are not making any sense. Who says your interpretation of how things work is correct? Who says mine is? Hint - no one....

Also are you talking about the European Continental Landmass, the European Union or the European Economic Community when yo u refer to "Europeans"? Let's assume you have the generic view that Europe is one homogenized mass somewhere on the other side of the Atlantic.

If you care to study the 2015 top 10 best countries to live, based on the World Happiness Report issued by United Nations General Assembly, you will find 7 of those top 10 countries are in the European Continent. The US isn’t even in the top 10 (#17 actually).
{http://unsdsn.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/WorldHappinessReport2013_online.pdf}

When you turn to prosperity, the Legatum Institute in London rated a countries prosperity in terms of the economy, entrepreneurship and opportunity, governance, education, health, safety and security, personal freedom and social capital. Here's a shocker for you, the US was NOT in the top 10....

Here's the list:
Norway
Switzerland
Denmark
New Zealand
Sweden
Canada
Australia
Netherlands
Finland
Ireland

I'll make it easy for you, 7 of those countries are in the EU continent.
{http://www.li.com/programmes/prosperity-index}

What about healthcare? Hmm, I wonder where those pesky European are in this ranking? Let's look at the World Health Organization's ranking of health care systems:
France
Italy
San Marino
Andorra
Malta
Singapore
Spain
Oman
Austria
Japan
{http://thepatientfactor.com/canadian-health-care-information/world-health-organizations-ranking-of-the-worlds-health-systems/}

Ah the magic #7 again. I must be making this stuff up, it can't possibly be true.

The US spends the most of the 10 industrialized nations on healthcare, at 17.7% of GDP, but comes dead [pun intended] last in terms of the ranking of those 10 countries.
{http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/fund-reports/2014/jun/mirror-mirror}

I must be lying, say it’s not so! Surely there must be one thing that the US is #1 in? Yep there it is. The US is #1 in terms of incarcerating our own citizens. We managed to beat China, Russia and Brazil. Great, that's something to be proud of! The US represents 5% of the world population but houses 25% of the world prisoners.
{http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/uk/06/prisons/html/nn2page1.stm}

Shall I keep going? Ok then-
We join Lesotho, Swaziland and New Guinea as the only countries in the World not mandate paid maternity leave.
We are the only advanced economy that doesn't mandate paid vacation.
We don't guarantee any paid sick days.
We spend the most per student on education at all levels, but come #4 in ranking by the OECD in the international student assessment.
We spend more on our military than any other country and more than the next 6 COMBINED.
We are the #1 exporter of weapons in the world.
We have the highest numbers of guns per capita in the world.
We consume more calories from sweeteners than any other country.
We consume the highest # of calories per day (3770).
We spend more on health care than any other industrialized country.
Prescription drugs cost more in the US than any other country.
We're #1 at creating super rich people, at the expense of everyone else.
The US has the highest inequality in in the marginal taxes rates as compared to overall income.
{source http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/29/american-exceptionalism_n_4170683.html}

Yep, we are really doing great!

How can you argue that "They make decisions not based on improving their nations and peoples, but on ideological fantasies and unrealistic principles. " when the results clearly show that "they" are contented and happy with their choices and those "fantasies" are, in reality, practical policy choices.

Can you point to examples of what you mean when referring to "mess, riots, and protests"? I can't seem to find any references to wholesale riots and protests in this generic Europe you speak of.

Look, no place on earth is perfect, but it seems to me, based on hard metrics, that the US is no panacea, and just perhaps, maybe, other countries are doing things better and more consistently.

Oh, by the way, and this is a trivial point given the gravity of the discussion, sentences begin with a CAPITOL letter, as you should have learned in early grade school.
Your rant about how bad we have it here in the US is ridiculous because a majority of Americans have all those benefits though our employers. I don't want a nanny state government telling me how to live my life and force me to do all those things you want. If one wants those benefits get a real job stop flipping burgers. Who cares about sweeteners if someone wants to use it why does government have to get involved? I love my country I don't care about how Europe wants to operate. I would rather die poor and broke but free then be given a bunch of free handouts by the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates