Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 11:35 AM

510 posts, read 499,836 times

Advertisements

Why the calculator hate? You're going to be pretty miserable if you're doing higher mathematics without a calculator unless you really like busy work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 06:02 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
There are just some of us who simply cannot do math. We are not good with numbers. I realized in kindergarten that I was one of these people. No, I don't enjoy being like this and I find it embarrassing trying to figure out the bill in a restaurant. It's just plain embarrassing and frustrating on its own.

I went through an excellent school system, btw, and stayed after school many times for extra help. Friends who are math teachers have tried to help me but it just doesn't work.

There's even a name for this learning disability: dyscalculia. It's similar to dyslexia but it concerns numbers instead of words. We cannot manipulate numbers; we want to learn but we cannot. I got straight A's in plane geometry but that is logic and words, not numbers. Algebra?

However I am very good with language skills like spelling and punctuation. So I could ask WHY it's so acceptable, even here on CD, for people to use an apostrophe to make a plural or not understand how to form a paragraph. Why can so many people not even distinguish between "there", "they're", and "their"?

The people who can't punctuate their writing make it difficult for others to understand what they are trying to say. We have to read it, we see that there is a punctuation mistake that changes the meaning, so then we have to go back and read it again. Yet if we mention it, we're called grammar police.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:54 AM

511 posts, read 837,723 times
Breaking for MobiusStrips's random memories:

Long ago, I worked for McDonalds. Bill was, say, $12.57. Guy tries to hand me $20.43 and when I try to explain to him why that would not work, he looked pityingly at me and said "think about it." I've always wanted to tell him to kiss my assets and think about it himself.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:07 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusStrip View Post
Breaking for MobiusStrips's random memories:

Long ago, I worked for McDonalds. Bill was, say, $12.57. Guy tries to hand me $20.43 and when I try to explain to him why that would not work, he looked pityingly at me and said "think about it." I've always wanted to tell him to kiss my assets and think about it himself.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

You mean they don't make 86 cent coins? Lol.

Priceless.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:25 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Who would ever know? How many conversations revolve around "Speaking of the cubed root of 343.." ?

Also, virtually everyone carries a calculator in their pockets these days, and can google up the way to solve most everyday math issues that arise. The immediate knowledge is more at hand in this day and age.

Story:
Awhile back I was in Jimmy John's and the price came to something like $6.37. I handed the guy a $10 and he entered '10.00' and hit ENTER - and just then I fished around in my pocket and said "Wait a sec... here's the $1.37".

He froze like a deer in the headlights, then looked at me imploringly. I said, "Just give me five back", whereupon he looked so grateful.

I probably could've said "Just give me twenty back" and he would have!
Tell me about it. Years ago we (employee group) got a 10% discount at a local chain restaurant. Kid at the register was so flummoxed at trying to knock 10% off my bill without using the register. I did the math in my head and said something like "I'll settle out of court for $1.50 off" or similar. That imploring look is, really, pathetic.

But, that's why this kid is manning the register at Jimmy John's, and you are working in software IIRC.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:34 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...le-be-bad-math

I've seen lifelong friendships be born out of conservation of people laughing about "sucking at math" lol
Beyond this, Richard Hofstadter wrote a whole book on "Anti-Intellectualism in American Life". The rot goes far beyond "sucking at math".

Don't get me started at the "ghetto culture" or whatever it is, that looks down on learning anything.

One of the refreshing things about visiting Russia, is that this anti-intellectual crap does not fly there. Nothing cool about being ignorant or dumb in Russia.

Of course the article was written by, probably, a psychology major, and they don't, ta-da! do much math in that degree (Maybe some statistics).

The word "conservation" in the OP does not make sense to me as it's used. Conversation maybe?

Old 04-15-2016, 09:20 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times
It's acceptable because most people (apparently not some posters on this thread, though...) understand that different people's brains are wired differently. My brain is not wired for math. It's not a matter of "working hard" at it.

Why do so many people mess up lose/lose? Their/there? Your/you're? I mean, if English is your first language and you've been using it your whole life, there is NO EXCUSE for not knowing how to spell every word correctly, right? Just study harder!!!

Why is it socially acceptable to be bad at art? I mean, it's a simple line drawing, why can't you just copy it? It's right there - just try harder!

Or we could accept that different people have different gifts instead of attempting to shame them for it.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:53 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
My brain wasnt wired for math either a couple of years ago. I rewired it.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:58 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,287 times
I used to have dinner with some people that would just throw down some random amount of money for a tip. Sometimes it was not enough, sometimes it was too much. Same if we were splitting the bill, they would just throw in some cash, usually too much. If we told them their share they would never count it out. It drove me crazy, a little. I always calculate the tip. It won't be an exact percentage, but will fall within a range that is appropriate. I don't know if my friends had difficulty with basic math or perhaps they were trying to show off the wealth they didn't really have. One has filed for bankruptcy so maybe they is a true lack of comprehension of numbers there. The same person was always quick to point out the stupidity he observed in others.

My brain seems to be wired ok for simple math but may not be wired for calculus. I just dug out an old math book from school days. If I can get the mold out of it, I may open it and see if any of it makes any more sense than it did 50 years ago.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:36 AM

53 posts, read 42,152 times
Depends on how the math was taught, individual, health-issues, etc.

If you had teachers who dryly taught math, then you might grow up disliking or borderline hating math. Also consider the racial and sexism stereotypes centered around math...you had/have bright-minded students that weren't given the proper chances due to these circumstances. Then there are other students, who battle these stereotypes. Learning disabilities weren't even 'considered' back then but a quota to fulfill.

Traditionally, it was emphasized that boys were placed in higher mathematical classes compared to girls, who were placed in clothing design or barbie-doll type classes...boys were given the selection of star-wars and MIT while girls were given dresses. If you were in the public-school system you were given the generics...the private...as I recall...higher education.

Also at some point, the schools stopped teaching financing. Coincidence?*coughcough*

Math is a trade-skill but without communication, it becomes askill. I have ran into several math orientated men who simply could not, or cannot, write papers aha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates