Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2016, 06:10 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Nope. Same thing. Some people don't like LGBT people and don't want to to have to do their business next to them.

If safety was such a problem you'd think there would be at least one recorded incident of same. This is just nonsense thrown out to justify discrimination.
Man Disguised as Woman Recorded "Hours" of Mall Restroom Video: Investigators | NBC Southern California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 06:31 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times
This guy went in to record for his own sexual gratification. He is not a transgender. His motives are no different than the executive who goes into his office's bathroom and installs a tiny camera for his "personal pleasure." We've read about those situations and will no doubt see them in the future..... about so called "normal guys." Some call them "creeps."

That's not what this thread is about. This is about transgender people, men and women, who go through medical treatments (think hormone treatments) to make them (mind and body) feel like the gender they are striving to be. They are using the bathroom to do their business and not to engage in creepy activities like the full-blooded male "normal guy" in your example.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:55 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
This guy went in to record for his own sexual gratification. He is not a transgender. His motives are no different than the executive who goes into his office's bathroom and installs a tiny camera for his "personal pleasure." We've read about those situations and will no doubt see them in the future..... about so called "normal guys." Some call them "creeps."

That's not what this thread is about. This is about transgender people, men and women, who go through medical treatments (think hormone treatments) to make them (mind and body) feel like the gender they are striving to be. They are using the bathroom to do their business and not to engage in creepy activities like the full-blooded male "normal guy" in your example.
I know that he's not transgender. As I have said in this thread, it's not a transgender woman that I, personally am worried about. I doubt many true transgender women are asked to leave the women's bathroom anyway. The concern is with mainstream culture wanting to allow anyone into any bathroom. You're not supposed to question anyone or their gender because then you're being a bigot. But once men can just walk into the women's bathroom anytime that they want to, you're putting women at risk of things like this.

I've seen comments here and elsewhere that say that opposers of shared bathrooms think this, that or the other about transgender people, but most of the concerns that I've seen aren't directed at transgender people, they're directed at the doors that are being opened up for perverts to stroll into women's bathrooms to do creepy, perverted crap.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:08 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
That article is 3 years old and the guy was arrested. He would still be arrested.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:11 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
I believe a very simple thing. If you are born with a penis, you are a man by definition and reality. If you are born with a vagina, you are a woman by definition and reality. If you are born with ambiguous sex organs, it is a deformity. You do not choose your sex, you ARE your sex.

As far as restrooms, I think they should be done away with for the most part. I really don't want to see anyone, man or woman, in this environment. You need them in a stadium or a large event hall. But in a typical small business, private bathrooms are the answer.

I will point to Dunkin Donuts. When you go there there, the rest room is private and you occupy it all by yourself. If they can do it and make a profit, so can every small business. Most workplaces can be outfitted with individual bathrooms rather than cattle urination/defecation chambers.

I favor advancing the state of the art in public elimination. Individual small bathrooms where we don't have to worry about various forms of mentally ill people and their intentions or defects.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:51 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times
I haven't seen anything that says that the use of transgenders in public bathrooms has resulted in an increase in the number of "pretenders" committing crimes against women in public bathrooms.

Debunking Bathroom Myths

Old 04-13-2016, 09:08 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
The seperation between a mens room and a ladies room is pretty hillbilly. Where is the problem if you see the opposite sex by washing their hands? People don't walk naked through the restroom.
They don't? Dang, there goes all my fantasies about the women's room. Next you'll tell me they don't have pillow fights in there too.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:15 AM

17,297 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I believe a very simple thing. If you are born with a penis, you are a man by definition and reality. If you are born with a vagina, you are a woman by definition and reality. If you are born with ambiguous sex organs, it is a deformity. You do not choose your sex, you ARE your sex.
Science doesn't agree with your beliefs. What's going on in the brain has far more to do with who you are, and transgender folks have been shown to have the brain structures of the opposite gender. This is not a choice.
Is There Something Unique about the Transgender Brain? - Scientific American

Old 04-13-2016, 09:17 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post

As far as restrooms, I think they should be done away with for the most part. I really don't want to see anyone, man or woman, in this environment. You need them in a stadium or a large event hall. But in a typical small business, private bathrooms are the answer.

I will point to Dunkin Donuts. When you go there there, the rest room is private and you occupy it all by yourself. If they can do it and make a profit, so can every small business. Most workplaces can be outfitted with individual bathrooms rather than cattle urination/defecation chambers.

I favor advancing the state of the art in public elimination. Individual small bathrooms where we don't have to worry about various forms of mentally ill people and their intentions or defects.
Much of this is governed by building code and cost. The reason why Dunkin Donuts has two restrooms with a toilet and a sink is because that's all the fixtures that are required. Code does specify separate facilities for men and for women and the number of those, based on the occupancy type. Business is one place in the table, restaurants another, sporting events another, etc. A larger company will need more fixtures due to more people. If they are required to have 8 toilets for women, they would typically need only like 4 sinks. Similar for men. The grouping of the fixtures saves space as things like handicap turning circles can overlap and not all the toilet stalls need to be handicap accessible. Of course a urinal takes up even less space in the men's room. They could choose to have 18 (8women, 7 men) separate rooms for each, but then each room would need to be handicap accessible and each would need a sink. Add all those together and much more space is needed and it's certainly not something that can easily be changed after the fact. Obviously a new build it is easier or you could do one generic restroom and keep more typical multi fixture rooms also, but either way means more space taken up, which costs money.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:41 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I know that he's not transgender. As I have said in this thread, it's not a transgender woman that I, personally am worried about. I doubt many true transgender women are asked to leave the women's bathroom anyway. The concern is with mainstream culture wanting to allow anyone into any bathroom. You're not supposed to question anyone or their gender because then you're being a bigot. But once men can just walk into the women's bathroom anytime that they want to, you're putting women at risk of things like this.

I've seen comments here and elsewhere that say that opposers of shared bathrooms think this, that or the other about transgender people, but most of the concerns that I've seen aren't directed at transgender people, they're directed at the doors that are being opened up for perverts to stroll into women's bathrooms to do creepy, perverted crap.

That is what I have been getting at. There are so many doors being opened to everyone and that is great since no one should be discriminated against BUT we all know that there are people out there that WILL take advantage of any situation.
If a law is made people will find a loop hole in it. Of course if there is a law then if someone violates it the court system has a choice to enforce that law and hand out discipline.

We are in this free fall mad rush to make everyone the same and rid the world of discrimination at least in this country.
First we had Police shootings of people that were breaking the law and attacking an officer but we are told it is not their fault.
Then we had the outrage, ban and removal of the Confederate flag which is part of this countries history but they want it erased because it was an ugly time.
Now we have boycotts of North Carolina because they saw what they perceived as a problem for the majority of citizens and they moved to act on that concern and are now facing a firestorm.

Right or Wrong Does it really matter anymore?

I just wonder what will be next in the cross hairs of the PC Police?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates