Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 06:30 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Did those family members test + for flu?

Or did they just not feel so good for a week and called it "the flu". Like so many do when it really isn't.
Are people now supposed to be tested if they think they have the flu? Really? Why?

Old 04-20-2016, 06:46 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:

Or did they just not feel so good for a week and called it "the flu". Like so many do when it really isn't.

It was the flu.
------------------------------------
And to the coward who left me a nasty rep comment. If you can't say it in on the thread, what makes you think it's ok to say it via rep. You're not as anonymous as you think.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Are people now supposed to be tested if they think they have the flu? Really? Why?
There are simple tests that can be done in a doctor's office now. Most docs do them to confirm the diagnosis. Occasionally, say if another family member was positive for flu, they might just diagnose by symptoms.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

So that people can spread the flu at the doctor's office.

The only reasons I can think that a person would got to the doctor for the flu would be either to get Tamiflu or because they didn't know that what they had was the flu and thought it was something more serious. But then again, people go to the doctor for colds and all kinds of things that they don't need to go for so who knows. Maybe it's just because they are that clueless.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Good point! In addition to people calling gastroenteritis "flu", there are people who are sick with something non-specific and just call it flu. It's called "ILI", influenza-like illness.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:36 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
When to see a doctor if you have the flu:

The Flu: What To Do If You Get Sick | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC

Call before going to the office so steps can be taken to avoid having you expose other people.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Good point! In addition to people calling gastroenteritis "flu", there are people who are sick with something non-specific and just call it flu. It's called "ILI", influenza-like illness.

I know you think everyone is ignorant of what the flu is. It was the flu that my family members had, not a bad cold, not a stomach bug. I also know that I have not had the flu in a very long time despite others insistence about it being impossible.

But then again, even the CDC lumps flu like illness in with their influenza stats and death rate so I guess this confusion comes directly from the top.

Was the flu you got a year or so ago laboratory confirmed? And if it was confirmed, why?

Old 04-20-2016, 08:57 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Default The Insurance Problem

To get back on topic here for a minute.

Here is one problem that I do see with lawsuits for negligently spreading a preventable disease. Oftentimes, lawsuits mean little without a "deep pocket" to collect from. Typically, that deep pocket takes the form of a liability insurance policy.

I think most lawyers bringing such a case would look for something like home owner's insurance. A standard home owner's insurance policy contains liability coverage that ordinarily is broader in scope than most people realize. It can cover all kinds of things people don't imagine. For example, if you child injures another accidentally on the school playground, your home owner's insurance will compensate the injured child up to your limits of liability if a claim is made.

The dilemma is we are starting to see something called a "communicable disease exclusion". Some insurance companies do not want to be on the hook for damages that result from this type of claim and they have written this exclusion into their policies. It would appear that an insurer could escape having to pay in this instance by writing a communicable disease exclusion.

Its not good to win a battle and than lose the war. However, this exclusion might result in exactly that.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I know you think everyone is ignorant of what the flu is. It was the flu that my family members had, not a bad cold, not a stomach bug. I also know that I have not had the flu in a very long time despite others insistence about it being impossible.

But then again, even the CDC lumps flu like illness in with their influenza stats and death rate so I guess this confusion comes directly from the top.

Was the flu you got a year or so ago laboratory confirmed? And if it was confirmed, why?
My post was not directed towards you specifically. I've seen plenty of patients come in with suspected flu that wasn't. And those are just the ones who bring their kids in to the office, often times b/c they want Tamiflu. Many just keep their kids at home and say they have the flu. Same goes for adults, I'd imagine. And no, the CDC does not lump all those deaths together. You've been told this many times. Pediatric flu deaths are tallied separately from any other pediatric death throughout the entire US. In Colorado, flu hospitalizations are reported to the CDPH&E. "Flu and pnuemonia" are lumped together by the CDC in adults over 18.

Quite the memory you have there, about my flu case last year, actually close to 1 1/2 years ago! Why all this interest in my health history? Yes, it was confirmed. Why? We had houseguests at the time; I didn't want to give anything to them.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-20-2016 at 09:07 AM..

Old 04-20-2016, 09:54 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
There are simple tests that can be done in a doctor's office now. Most docs do them to confirm the diagnosis. Occasionally, say if another family member was positive for flu, they might just diagnose by symptoms.
You missed my point. Everyone is going to doctors when they fear they have the flu? Why???? If not, they would never be tested at all. Stay home from school or work and stay in bed. It will pass on it's own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates