Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2016, 03:00 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Forbes Welcome

"The gifted musician, songwriter and actor Prince Rogers Nelson died this morning at his home outside of Minneapolis. The cause of death has not yet been made public.

However, the artist reportedly had been battling “the flu” since at least April 7, when he canceled two shows in Atlanta on his A Piano and a Microphone tour."

"After earlier problems with drug addiction, Prince became a teetotaling vegan and Jehovah’s Witness by 2010."

Old 04-21-2016, 03:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
They really will have their work cut out for them looking for the source of their illness since it's not actually a person but a virus or bacteria that is to blame.

That's a clever way to put it! The person carrying the virus/bacteria is the vector for the disease.

It's ironic that those who are so worried and most vocal about anti-vaxxers exposing others in doctor's waiting rooms are the first one's running out of the house to the nearest waiting room with the flu while contagious just so they can get a test to confirm what they already know. It's very hypocritical.
What makes you say that? How do you know these are the same people? Many of our patients who had flu were not vaccinated. Flu can make you VERY sick. That's why parents bring them in.

If flu were so easy to diagnose, we wouldn't have all these people talking about flu when they had gastroenteritis, or even some other fever virus.

(Mine in teal.)

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-21-2016 at 04:06 PM..

Old 04-21-2016, 04:25 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
How did this get sidetracked into discussing the flu? There are much more serious diseases that need to be vaccinated against. I wish there had been a varicella vaccine when I was a kid, because a case of the shingles was like being stung by hornets 24 hours a day for a month. I wish there had been a mumps vaccine, because a case of the mumps left me sterile and childless. I avoided polio, but one of my classmates was not so lucky. He walked with crutches and braces for the rest of his life, which was short. He died young because of the damage from polio. When the Salk vaccine came out, they sent a notice to the parents, then lined us up and vaccinated us, no questions asked. Kids who were absent that day weren't allowed back into school until they got the shot. I remember County Health posting quarantine notices on houses, and anybody who broke quarantine went directly to jail.

I grew up in a small town. There were 50 kids in my elementary school class. Three of them died of communicable diseases before we reached puberty. There was no measles vaccine, though DTP was available. I once worked with a guy 20 years older than me who actually had Diphtheria as a child. His life was only saved with immune globulin injections. To me, the anti-vaxxers are insane.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
How did this get sidetracked into discussing the flu? There are much more serious diseases that need to be vaccinated against. I wish there had been a varicella vaccine when I was a kid, because a case of the shingles was like being stung by hornets 24 hours a day for a month. I wish there had been a mumps vaccine, because a case of the mumps left me sterile and childless. I avoided polio, but one of my classmates was not so lucky. He walked with crutches and braces for the rest of his life, which was short. He died young because of the damage from polio. When the Salk vaccine came out, they sent a notice to the parents, then lined us up and vaccinated us, no questions asked. Kids who were absent that day weren't allowed back into school until they got the shot. I remember County Health posting quarantine notices on houses, and anybody who broke quarantine went directly to jail.

I grew up in a small town. There were 50 kids in my elementary school class. Three of them died of communicable diseases before we reached puberty. There was no measles vaccine, though DTP was available. I once worked with a guy 20 years older than me who actually had Diphtheria as a child. His life was only saved with immune globulin injections. To me, the anti-vaxxers are insane.
Miss Terri wanted to discuss a case of flu I had 1 1/2 years ago after having been vaccinated. (I have since learned that flu vaccine may not work well in people taking statins, and I was taking a high dose at the time, plus I worked in a pediatric office where kids with flu were coming in every day.) She wanted to know if I went to the doctor for testing and if so, why. I had no idea my medical history was so fascinating!

Anyway, currently, flu is the VPD that is responsible for the most deaths in kids and adults in the US. So it's a good reason to have a discussion on it.

I agree with the rest of your post. Thank you for discussing quarantine signs, which one member of this discussion refuses to believe existed. If you get the chickenpox vaccine, you may still get shingles, but the risk is much lower.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:32 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Forbes Welcome

"The gifted musician, songwriter and actor Prince Rogers Nelson died this morning at his home outside of Minneapolis. The cause of death has not yet been made public.

However, the artist reportedly had been battling “the flu” since at least April 7, when he canceled two shows in Atlanta on his A Piano and a Microphone tour."

"After earlier problems with drug addiction, Prince became a teetotaling vegan and Jehovah’s Witness by 2010."

I just read that. Now I've heard that he died due to complications from a severe case of the flu. This hasn't been confirmed yet, but he was taken to a hospital in Molina with what was thought to be flu.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:29 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I just read that. Now I've heard that he died due to complications from a severe case of the flu. This hasn't been confirmed yet, but he was taken to a hospital in Molina with what was thought to be flu.
Reports are coming out furiously. Latest one saying, with videos, that he was making several trips a day for several weeks going to Walgreens. Scripts or OTC Flu Medication? Perhaps he overdosed by self medicating.

If he did die from any complications of the Flu, it might be good for Flu Shot Ads on TV/here, except this isn't the time of the year for those vax.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:40 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,508,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
100% of children who developed autism drank water. Perhaps drinking water causes autism? There has been a massive research effort to find a link between vaccines and autism, and the conclusion has been that there is no link. The researcher who first reported the link falsified his data and has lost his medical license over the fraudulent publication. The anti-vax people are child killers, and should be prosecuted for manslaughter.
Actually you bring up a good point.

Harvard Says Fluoridated Water is Causing ADHD, Autism | Natural Society

Old 04-21-2016, 06:44 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
There is something I don't understand about this debate. If you have your children vaccinated, how can they then catch the diseases they are protected against?

It seems like the only risk the anti-vaxxers pose is to the other anti-vaxxers. Am I missing something?

With that being said, I have to say I am totally against having something forcibly injected into myself or my kids under penalty of law. That seems like a slippery slope to me.
I agree. then it could work like insurance. they started the mandated seat belt laws with auto liability rates. Public schools could mandate vaccines to attend, maybe they already do?

Old 04-21-2016, 08:08 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
First I'm accused of having the flu and not even knowing it. Then I'm accused of my family members not really having the flu when they really did.
No accusations from me, just questions...seems you answered one of them below.

Quote:
To answer your question...Because the flu symptoms are pretty darn distinct and flu was going around and in the case of my daughter, other kids she had been around had the flu. I don't know why you feel the need to argue this point. You should be happy that not everyone rushes to the doctor to get tested for the flu. We kept out germs at home.
Thats what doctors are for. To dx even while a person may still be contagious & my pediatricians don't make house calls, so there is no choice but to go to the office.

Quote:
Do you know anything about the flu at all? Your argument is ridiculous.
As I have said, my oldest had the flu last year. I ended up doing a lot of research re: the flu as well as re: Tamiflu.

Quote:
Most of the time the flu is not serious. If a person is not recovering, ie. getting worse rather then getting better then it's time to call the doctor. Going to the doctor at the first sign of flu is completely unnecessary in the vast majority of cases and puts others at risk.
Going to the doctor at the first sign of having the flu is more than helpful in getting properly diagnosed and receiving Tamiflu - which helps one to recover faster.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
That's what happens when you let somebody else tell you what the article said. What the referenced research said was that children who grow up in areas with naturally occurring toxic levels of fluoroide exhibit a 0.45 statistical drop in IQ. It said nothing about fluoride causing autism or ADHD. It said nothing about any fluoride added to drinking water in areas that lack naturally occurring fluoride. Of course it takes a half hour worth of reading to excavate the facts, but the relevant articles are online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates