Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 12:10 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post

If indeed some children are developing autism over this, I hate to say it but isn't it better to have a rare child here & there with autism than an epidemic outbreak of horribly crippling, deadly diseases?
I agree 100%! There is often a trade-off and in this case worth it. Look how many children died of communicable diseases back before vaccines were created. Or those left damaged after a disease as was my Uncle who died young. I would not want my grandchildren around those not vaccinated.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:22 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Oh, for Pity's Sake! There have been TV ads about "the heartbreak of psoriasis" for decades. People who have it tell heartbreaking stories of being avoided, also for decades, as in at least 5 decades. Who has ever suggested someone with hives take steroids to avoid causing fear in other people? I haven't heard about any vaccine for "hay fever". Maybe you can provide us a link? It sounds interesting.
They're apparently developing a vaccine for allergies here in Finland https://www.rt.com/news/finnish-scie...y-vaccine-616/ I found a Finnish article that says it might be available in 2018 Karjalainen: Pikarokote nopeuttaa ja helpottaa allergian hoitoa - ESS.fi

Old 04-28-2016, 12:31 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Some samples, yes. We never gave anyone a 6 mo. supply of anything. We often gave samples to see if a med was going to help, if so, the doc wold write a prescription. We really didn't give out a lot. Maybe peds is different somehow.
I've received infant tylenol samples from the pediatric practice my children have gone to since my oldest was born (going on 17 years ago) as well as Bromfed. Bromfed was the only "thing" that worked for my kid who had RAD. Just to get by until we shopped around to find out which pharmacy carried it or could "order it" within 12 hours. A little went a long way and keeping it (the Bromfed) on hand didn't work. When we ran out, he had to be sick in order to get a re-fill. So I was VERY thankful for the free tiny samples that lasted until the scrip was filled.

Not a "supply" by any means. Of anything.

Quote:
We did not have any "sample" vaccines.
LOL!!!

Old 04-28-2016, 06:54 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, people should carry a list of their medications with them at all times. Your husband should even wear an ID bracelet or necklace that would alert EMTs that he is on a blood thinner and which one. If he is in an accident and bleeding, some anticoagulants can be temporarily reversed.

Zika ultimately will be in the same category as rubella. We vaccinate children against rubella primarily to protect pregnant women. We want girls to be vaccinated before they become sexually active and we vaccinate boys to create herd immunity.

As I said in my previous post, initial vaccination will probably include everyone, especially targeting women before they get pregnant, the difficulty there being the large number of unplanned pregnancies. In the future, the target will be children, presuming that the vaccine provides persistent protection or infrequent need for boosters. They are even working on inactivated vaccines that can be given to pregnant women.

You continue to project your feelings about vaccines on other people. Those who live in areas with Zika already causing a problem do not feel the way you do.

Transcript for CDC Telebriefing: Updates on Zika response efforts | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

From Dr. Fauci at the CDC:

"But we are pursuing live attenuated vaccines in the long run because although you would not want to be giving that to a pregnant woman unless you really, really were very careful and had good safety studies, but I don't think that's the issue right now. You would want something like that early on to get women before they become of child bearing age. The ultimate goal would be we would have a vaccine for Zika in the live attenuated category that's very similar to what we have for rubella, in which even though we vaccinate everyone, all the children as they go into school, the real target of rubella is girls, young women, who ultimately will be of child bearing age and deliver. So it's a two-pronged approach. It’s an approach that would be quite safe, we hope, for pregnant women, namely non-live vaccines as well as live vaccines which are generally quite effective historically and have that for women before they become pregnant. That’s our plan."

From Dr. Frieden at the CDC:

"There had been the misperceptions on the part of many people that the people of Puerto Rico were not concerned about Zika because they had seen dengue and Chikungunya and figured this was just one more infection. I can tell you firsthand that is not the case. That every pregnant woman we met with had a high degree of awareness and concern and when I asked a group, a woman in the group plainly dressed from a poorer family there said very clearly 'of course we're worried. If I have a child who can't talk or can't take care of themselves, that's going to impact the rest of my life and the rest of my child's life and in fact, I’ll be worried for my whole life even after I die who is going to take care of them.' "

Jo, would you be willing to take a Zika vaccine to protect the pregnant women in your community? The fewer people that have it, the less likely that a mosquito will find an infected person to feed on and be able to spread it to someone else. Taking care of a child with serious birth defects can cost millions.
You have to be bitten by a mosquito in the place (for a woman), in order to spread Zika. If that does not happen, why take a vaccination? Better to take precautions against being bitten in the first place.

We live in South Florida, have been to many outdoor events, including to the Everglades. My husband can be right next to me and be eaten alive, but they don't bite me. I don't sweat (not good)? They don't like my scent or something in my blood?

Another poster said to get tested for Zika? Why? I, and my husband, have not been outside of the country. Absolutely no reason to get tested.

Go on the Florida site here. You will hear the majority saying to just wear repellent or cover up, and enjoy the weather.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:37 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Harvard students isolated amid mumps outbreak

There was an outbreak among NHL players last year. Both students and NHL players were vaccinated but still caught Mumps.

You learn something interesting every day. I did not know that today that MMR vaccination is given a second time at around 4 years old, to make sure the first one at 12 months conferred immunity. The second MMR shot was not given according to the 1980 schedule.

Did these students and NHL players ever get that second MMR? My own kids, who are now in their 30's, did not get that second shot MMR. NHL players that age probably wouldn't have either. Both groups travel. Many college (Harvard?) students spend semesters abroad studying. Perhaps this happened with the Disney Measles outbreak also. No second MMR vaccination?

Blame it all on unvaccinated children? Perhaps not. How many younger adults just on here have ever had a second MMR vaccination or gotten a titer done to make sure your first shot conferred immunity to you? If you are so nervous about catching a disease, do you think all people over a certain age, who travel, should get another MMR in case one might not be enough?

Old 04-28-2016, 08:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
I've received infant tylenol samples from the pediatric practice my children have gone to since my oldest was born (going on 17 years ago) as well as Bromfed. Bromfed was the only "thing" that worked for my kid who had RAD. Just to get by until we shopped around to find out which pharmacy carried it or could "order it" within 12 hours. A little went a long way and keeping it (the Bromfed) on hand didn't work. When we ran out, he had to be sick in order to get a re-fill. So I was VERY thankful for the free tiny samples that lasted until the scrip was filled.

Not a "supply" by any means. Of anything.

LOL!!!
When I first started at the peds office where I worked 11 years, back in 2004, they said they were having difficulty getting tylenol samples. The reps didn't have them to give out. We had to purchase it, so we didn't keep a lot on hand, mostly just for our own use (child comes in w/fever and hasn't had any fever med in several hours, etc). Our office didn't use Bromfed; I had to look it up! But yes, a small bottle to have on hand until you can get a script filled is very useful. That's the point of these little sample sizes.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
You have to be bitten by a mosquito in the place (for a woman), in order to spread Zika. If that does not happen, why take a vaccination? Better to take precautions against being bitten in the first place.

We live in South Florida, have been to many outdoor events, including to the Everglades. My husband can be right next to me and be eaten alive, but they don't bite me. I don't sweat (not good)? They don't like my scent or something in my blood?

Another poster said to get tested for Zika? Why? I, and my husband, have not been outside of the country. Absolutely no reason to get tested.

Go on the Florida site here. You will hear the majority saying to just wear repellent or cover up, and enjoy the weather.
You can take all the precautions that are available and still get bit. Yes, it's true that mosquitoes seem to "like" some people more than others.

Quote:

There was an outbreak among NHL players last year. Both students and NHL players were vaccinated but still caught Mumps.

You learn something interesting every day. I did not know that today that MMR vaccination is given a second time at around 4 years old, to make sure the first one at 12 months conferred immunity. The second MMR shot was not given according to the 1980 schedule.

Did these students and NHL players ever get that second MMR? My own kids, who are now in their 30's, did not get that second shot MMR. NHL players that age probably wouldn't have either. Both groups travel. Many college (Harvard?) students spend semesters abroad studying. Perhaps this happened with the Disney Measles outbreak also. No second MMR vaccination?

Blame it all on unvaccinated children? Perhaps not. How many younger adults just on here have ever had a second MMR vaccination or gotten a titer done to make sure your first shot conferred immunity to you? If you are so nervous about catching a disease, do you think all people over a certain age, who travel, should get another MMR in case one might not be enough?
The second MMR was added in 1989. At first, it was recommended for middle school/jr high entry, e.g. 6th or 7th grade; later it was moved down to pre-K. Many states added it to their required immunization schedules. I can remember going around to middle schools giving MMR in the mid-90s. Colorado (and probably many other states) had a two-tier system at the beginning, requiring for K and 7th grade until everyone was covered.

The NHL mumps outbreak was "interesting" as they say. Some players had had two doses; one player for the Pittsburgh Penguins even had a third to go to the Sochi Olympics.

College students today should have had two doses; they were born well after the two dose schedule was recommended.

Regarding Disney, only about 5% of patients for whom records were available had two doses of vaccine. Most were unimmunized.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:30 AM

455 posts, read 463,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Has any law been established regarding non-vaccinated children who become the center of an epidemic?

If polio, mumps, rubella, whooping cough, etc begin to claim lives again, can the parents of the children who began spreading the disease be held liable to pay financial restitution to the families of those they made ill?

I haven't paid much attention to this anti-vaxxing phenomenon until a couple days ago Robert Deniro mentioned that his wife noticed their child develop autistic symptoms overnight after receiving a vaccine with mercury as a basic ingredient in it.

Robert Deniro is a fairly level-headed man.

Perhaps some children in very rare cases really are developing autism after vaccination.

As for my kids, they've all been 100% vaccinated with no problems. I'm pro-vaccination.

If indeed some children are developing autism over this, I hate to say it but isn't it better to have a rare child here & there with autism than an epidemic outbreak of horribly crippling, deadly diseases?
First, I have the utmost respect for Robert DeNiro. He is one of my favorite actors and a master of his craft. That said, being a master in one profession does not mean you are a master in others, and in this case countless peer-reviewed studies have shown that there is NO relationship between vaccines and autism. Mr. DeNiro is dead solid wrong about the link between autism and vaccines.

I encourage you to spend some time online and you will quickly come to the same conclusion as long as you verify the credibility of those writing about it. (And false causal relationships are rampant on this topic.)

You raise a valid question about holding anti-vaxxers liable. That sounds good in theory but would be very difficult to prove (IMHO) in a court of law. (Full disclosure: I am not a lawyer.)

Old 04-28-2016, 09:16 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I agree 100%! There is often a trade-off and in this case worth it. Look how many children died of communicable diseases back before vaccines were created. Or those left damaged after a disease as was my Uncle who died young. I would not want my grandchildren around those not vaccinated.
You do have to balance risk against benefits. I agree with this philosophy. However, there is also an overwhelming abundance of evidence that vaccines do not cause autism. Ten or more studies have been done that show no link at all. People who cannot accept that deny reality. It is no less of a denial of science than trying to claim the Earth is flat or that the Sun revolves around the Earth.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/00_...sandAutism.pdf

This page has been moved Autism | Concerns | Vaccine Safety | CDC

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...nk-new-report/

Old 04-28-2016, 09:27 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:

Merck accused of stonewalling in mumps vaccine antitrust lawsuit | Reuters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates