Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 04:18 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
This concept exist overseas for years, without any problems. They created spaces where men, women and anyone else can heed the call of nature side by side, doing away with prudish notions of sexual differences. Sex-segregated public restrooms/changing rooms are an outdated relic of Victorian-era paternalism.
We are still like 100 years behind with progressive thinking and broad acceptance.
And of American exhibitionism. Where I come from you would never ever ever walk around naked in front of others the way Americans like to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 04:20 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,233,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If you are behind a closed door would it really matter what someone else behind a closed door has in their pants?

If bathrooms has stalls no one can see what the person next to them has going on. Make restrooms with floor to ceiling cubicles with doors for the toilets, and a common space with sinks and mirrors. Changing rooms the same.
i have been in many public bathrooms over the years and in countless bathrooms you are able to see in the stall that a person is using. they don't all close so that you can't see what is going on in there. many times there is a small gap and you can definitely see in there when you close the door.

it's embarrassing enough to have to use one of those stalls when people are standing there waiting to use the next available stall and they can see you hovering over the toilet, trying to hold your purse and pants or skirt/dress out of the way while trying not to touch the seat at all, i really don't want to have a man standing out there being able to see this.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
There are gaps in the traditional stalls that don't lend themselves to the level of privacy I would be comfortable with if I was sharing a restroom or shower room with men. I would not be in favor of that at all.
you beat me to it! yes, there are definitely a lot of bathroom stalls out there that do not provide complete privacy.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:46 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,095,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
There are gaps in the traditional stalls that don't lend themselves to the level of privacy I would be comfortable with if I was sharing a restroom or shower room with men. I would not be in favor of that at all.

Yeah I understand you. A full door is The right thing to use

Old 04-18-2016, 05:13 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Count me among those of the opposite view, I like to swim laps for fitness, and when I'm finished, I prefer go to to a spacious "open" shower, remove all swim gear, and get one thorough daily clean-up -- usually shave at the same time -- and not confined to a crampy little stall.

And having a couple of small, but noticeable physical "shortcomings", I had to endure my share of locker-room taunts and intimidation during my formative years. That ended once I went to college and the point-and-grunt contingent had no business there. Reasonably-educated people in groups behave differently, but respectfully, when the clothes are removed.

Some of my female friends tell me that young women's hang-ups over locker room nudity have diminished somewhat -- at the same time that young men (often raised in single-parent female-headed households) have reverted to a "towel dance" mentality.

Go figure.
As someone who has taught middle school swimming classes, I can confirm this mentality exists with boys of this age. It is difficult to get these boys out of the locker room and into the pool, especially when you're dealing with a 40 minute class. They will wait to use two toilet stalls to change in order not to be naked in front of other boys.

This is quite a change from my junior high days in the 1960s when the swimming teacher told us on the first day of class that swim suits were optional. Some boys swam nude but it had been the norm in the years before I got to junior high. The point is, you quickly lose any sense of embarrassment when you know you have three minutes in a crowded locker room to change into your swim suit, take a shower and lined up to go to the pool. The gym teacher would keep his paddle nearby and you didn't want to be the last person in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
And of American exhibitionism. Where I come from you would never ever ever walk around naked in front of others the way Americans like to.
Where are you from? I thought Americans were the ones with hangups about nudity. Europeans don't seem to have an issue with nude or topless beaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
i have been in many public bathrooms over the years and in countless bathrooms you are able to see in the stall that a person is using. they don't all close so that you can't see what is going on in there. many times there is a small gap and you can definitely see in there when you close the door.

it's embarrassing enough to have to use one of those stalls when people are standing there waiting to use the next available stall and they can see you hovering over the toilet, trying to hold your purse and pants or skirt/dress out of the way while trying not to touch the seat at all, i really don't want to have a man standing out there being able to see this.
So you really think men would be interested in watching you go to the bathroom? On second thought, it might be hilarious to watch someone put themselves through such agony.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:16 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,095,846 times
Now that I think about you would probably show more skin at the actual pool itself than a unisex changing room with stalls

Old 04-18-2016, 05:17 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post

I simply don't look. Generally I try to use good manners in public, but even with the cracks you have to try to see anything that is going on.

40+ years and I have not once seen another persons genitalia in a public rest room.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:18 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Unisex bathrooms might be hard. I mean I can totally understand people wanting to do their business with people with the same things down there. Not to mention the amount of people needing to use it sometimes. Changing rooms though which I also am hearing complaints about I feel can easily be made unisex and provide privacy for everyone
Communal unisex bathrooms could be a challenge, though some (myself included) wouldn't really care one way or the other. We're all there to poop, so...

But, I understand people's concern and frankly, if I had a choice, I would always be the only one in a room while a do my business. I'd say just have a couple single person bathrooms and make it simple, if people are seriously this put off by transgendered people (who are like .01% of the population) being in the same room as them.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

So you really think men would be interested in watching you go to the bathroom? On second thought, it might be hilarious to watch someone put themselves through such agony.
pretty sure there would be men out there who would look if they were standing there and noticed that they could see inside the stall where a woman (or a girl!) was using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I simply don't look. Generally I try to use good manners in public, but even with the cracks you have to try to see anything that is going on.

40+ years and I have not once seen another persons genitalia in a public rest room.
i don't look either. but, well, see above.

i have used the restroom and had someone outside the stall waiting, and i have seen them looking in. maybe you don't look, or i don't look, but there are people out there who do. i am not a fan of unisex restrooms where they have stalls like those. if they were all full on doors where you couldn't see inside, that would be different. still not a fan of that either though, to be honest.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:59 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
posted this in Current Events but apparently that was the wrong place for this type of question

Make one big unisex changing room with little rooms/stalls inside to change. At pools, put the showers on the pool deck so everyone can shower with their bathing suit on

think it might make transgenders happy and other people as well since they can change in a stall in privacy
Nothing will make the Trangender/Gay crowd happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates