Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 11:21 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I suppose you have a point if you hold fast to the idea that gender is solely determined by the genitalia that a person is born with.

It's not just that, it's simply that the number of transgendered people is so small.

I do not doubt that there are people who feel as though their birth gender does not represent how they feel. And I disagree with discriminating against them. But, as has been pointed out, their numbers are small.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:25 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
It's not just that, it's simply that the number of transgendered people is so small.
Why does it matter that their numbers are so small?

Old 04-20-2016, 12:04 PM

569 posts, read 551,765 times
This world is getting weird. Now I cannot tell the genders by names. Who would name their babies with unisexual names? This world makes me want to throw up.

And because of the value confusions, there are nothing could be discussed anymore.

How do you raise a child names Dannyna?

And for the OP's informations: 1. No, some words shall never got into the vocabulary in the first place. For me, instead of a new word shall be the exsiting words a.k.a a confused mind, queerness and etc.

2. Some people perhaps are not 'the animal lovers'; Therefore, stop inventing words to wearing down the people. - Be them of L, G, B, or T: As long as everybody is happy, and no forceful acts occurred. Normally, that mean they are married.

These are my intetpretations.

Stay pure. Keep things simple.

Simple, right?

Last edited by CPPU12345; 04-20-2016 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Simple, right?

Old 04-20-2016, 12:07 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
I will start by saying I have had friends, men and women, who are gay for over 20 years. I am a straight getting close to 40yr old man. I have never had a problem with gay/lesbian/bi people. I have never understood how anyone can tell anyone who they can or can not love, nor why someone would even have a problem with it, (other than because they were told to).

I do recall this acronym was at one time LGB, and then some how Trans got grouped in.

As far as transgender; I understand the concept of gender identity, but I completely disagree with it. I respect its hard for me to understand something that I have no experience with any way. I feel its a lie to ones self, and every one else. It has nothing to do with who you love, but who you want to be seen as. I see it as an attempted manipulation of biology that one person is not above.

This is me trying to be as open-minded as I can, (although I'm sure some will disagree. Just know I wouldn't have spent this time to write this if it wasn't).

Whether or not you agree/disagree with my reasons behind it; do you have similar? To me grouping this in is now questioning its legitimacy. Now recently a couple times I have even heard of a Q.. LGBTQ.. A quick search said "Q" stood for "***** or questioning". I think its starting to get silly, and losing its acceptance.

I would especially like to hear from anyone who is LGB (and willing to share that when its none of our business), on why or why not you feel this should be included.
Because Trans people are outcasts. Also most identify as gay or lesbian before either realizing they are trans or transitioning.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Why does it matter that their numbers are so small?

Do we accommodate every individual for every public space?

The answer is no. It's not discrimination, it's just that we don't design things to meet every potential individual need.

From my perspective, I have no issues with transgendered people using the bathroom they want to use. There are stalls and the doors can be closed. It's not an issue.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:45 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Do we accommodate every individual for every public space?

The answer is no. It's not discrimination, it's just that we don't design things to meet every potential individual need.

From my perspective, I have no issues with transgendered people using the bathroom they want to use. There are stalls and the doors can be closed. It's not an issue.
I have thought about that question as well. There will always be tiny monorities for whom public accommodations are just not feasible: conjoined twins, quadriplegics, people with allergies to any artificial scents, people of extreme sizes (such as the man who is over 8 feet tall), people who have 3 arms or legs (yes they exist), etc.

People with such conditions struggle with things like clothing, furniture, size of bathroom stalls, airline seats, just to name a few.

Accommodations in every aspect of life for every situation is not possible. Plus, accommodating one group may create problems for another (like ADA laws that allow people to have service animals with them create problems for people allergic to animals). Similarly, allowing M-to-F T's into women's gym lockers & showers make some women uncomfortable. So whose rights/preferences prevail?

Old 04-20-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Similarly, allowing M-to-F T's into women's gym lockers & showers make some women uncomfortable. So whose rights/preferences prevail?

Just as an aside - why is it that we only seem to see any outcry about MTF? I posted earlier in this thread about a FTM and I haven't seen anyone really complain about that. I just think it's an interesting point.

To your (snipped) quote - there is a difference between just being "uncomfortable" and there being a real medical issue. Yes, a service animal could trigger severe allergic reactions to some people. Those people learn to deal with those issues (usually without complaining). But that's a vastly different situation (IMO) than someone just being "uncomfortable" because a MTF MIGHT come into a public restroom while they are there.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:10 PM

505 posts, read 501,861 times
Because "T" folks were at the front lines of the Stonewall Riots.

They have just as much validation to be part of the acronym as we do.

Last edited by ajams22; 04-20-2016 at 02:39 PM..

Old 04-20-2016, 02:10 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
Most Trans people do identify as gay or lesbian or bisexual, so chances are if one is trans they are also LGB... However just because one is LBG doe snot mean that person is Trans

Old 04-20-2016, 02:37 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Let's see ... now why on Earth would people who identify with a gender other than the one traditional societal rules demand they identify with be grouped with those who are sexually attracted to people of a gender other than the one traditional societal rules demand they be attracted to?

Seriously? You can't figure this out?

There are two things are work here. Some people have finally come to a grudging acceptance of equality of LGB folks but they'll be damned if they're going to do so for T people, so they want to stop the progress here and now. Also, they're trying to drive a wedge between the two groups - divide and conquer (they're naive enough to think they're not inevitably going to lose this contest, too).

Really, this is nothing new. All throughout history, new civil rights movements have identified with past ones. And all throughout history, this has ticked off people who were never happy with past civil rights accomplishments but figured that ship had sailed so they resigned themselves to having to life with them - but by God they're sick and tired of losing groups to marginalize, attack, and discriminate against!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates