Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 10:22 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I know weed isn't addictive for everyone. For those who say they smoke weed daily and say it is t addictive at all, try giving it up for a few months. If you can go a few months without any problems then you're not addicted.
About 25 years ago, I stopped using it completely for about 3 years. There were no withdrawal symptoms at all. However, looking back with 20/20 hindsight, those were the least productive 3 years of my life.

Of course it isn't for everyone, and for some it disrupts their life and prevents them from being everything they could be. But that is not the case for everyone, and the truly criminal aspect of it is that prohibition causes people like me to be exposed to the risk of being turned into a criminal by society, every single day.

What I have realized for many decades now its that it tends to amplify what is already there. In other words, people who are lazy and unmotivated can find those natural traits worsened by daily use, especially if they are using strains that tend to relax you (like most street weed does). On the other hand, good traits can be amplified also.

My experience has been that people have who the natural ability to excel in highly technical careers can use the proper strains of cannabis to actually enhance their skills. Many other posters who have worked in high tech industries during the last 40 years confirms the same thing, especially as it relates to software development. This is just more evidence that it can amplify what is already there, both good and bad.

Once it is legal everywhere, meaning that people can pick and choose strains instead of buying whatever their black market dealer has at the moment, then smart people can choose the right strains and amount for them, and use it to their advantage. On the other hand, dumb people will continue to be dumb regardless.

So let's end prohibition. That will take some of the glamor it has out of the eyes of kids who get off on breaking the law.

Do you notice that smoking tobacco has been on the decline for many years now? That is because:

A) It has not been glamorized by prohibition
B) Educational campaigns about the dangers of tobacco use have been effective
C) People are empowered by the fact they get to choose, rather than being forced into it by law

That is an effective combination. We need to apply that same methodology to cannabis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 11:47 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
About 25 years ago, I stopped using it completely for about 3 years. There were no withdrawal symptoms at all. However, looking back with 20/20 hindsight, those were the least productive 3 years of my life.

Of course it isn't for everyone, and for some it disrupts their life and prevents them from being everything they could be. But that is not the case for everyone, and the truly criminal aspect of it is that prohibition causes people like me to be exposed to the risk of being turned into a criminal by society, every single day.

What I have realized for many decades now its that it tends to amplify what is already there. In other words, people who are lazy and unmotivated can find those natural traits worsened by daily use, especially if they are using strains that tend to relax you (like most street weed does). On the other hand, good traits can be amplified also.

My experience has been that people have who the natural ability to excel in highly technical careers can use the proper strains of cannabis to actually enhance their skills. Many other posters who have worked in high tech industries during the last 40 years confirms the same thing, especially as it relates to software development. This is just more evidence that it can amplify what is already there, both good and bad.

Once it is legal everywhere, meaning that people can pick and choose strains instead of buying whatever their black market dealer has at the moment, then smart people can choose the right strains and amount for them, and use it to their advantage. On the other hand, dumb people will continue to be dumb regardless.

So let's end prohibition. That will take some of the glamor it has out of the eyes of kids who get off on breaking the law.

Do you notice that smoking tobacco has been on the decline for many years now? That is because:

A) It has not been glamorized by prohibition
B) Educational campaigns about the dangers of tobacco use have been effective
C) People are empowered by the fact they get to choose, rather than being forced into it by law

That is an effective combination. We need to apply that same methodology to cannabis.
There's also the fact that it's been made illegal trade smoke inside almost all businesses, within a certain distance from a business entrance, some public beaches, some public parks, some side walks, and even within apartments and townhouses. The other factor in the decline of smoking is the huge taxes placed on cigarettes making them far more expensive than ever before even with adjustment for inflation.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:16 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
There's also the fact that it's been made illegal trade smoke inside almost all businesses, within a certain distance from a business entrance, some public beaches, some public parks, some side walks, and even within apartments and townhouses. The other factor in the decline of smoking is the huge taxes placed on cigarettes making them far more expensive than ever before even with adjustment for inflation.
Yes, those are definitely valid points.

But the bottom line remains: Cigarette smoking is declining, and it is not due to prohibition. In fact, it is my opinion that if cigarettes were suddenly made illegal, smoking would skyrocket, especially among kids, and south of the border tobacco wars would begin, with all of the resulting deaths and wasted resources.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:26 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Why the big push to add another drug with side effects to the list?

And educate yourself on the cause and regs regarding the list of side effects. If the same was required for mj, it, too, would appear horrid.
I don't know...seems the US gov believes in it...so much that they have a patent on it.
I don't see anything in the patent or other descriptions that show it to be "horrid" at all.
https://sites.google.com/site/6630507/

Old 05-22-2016, 11:10 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Quote:
I know weed isn't addictive for everyone. For those who say they smoke weed daily and say it is t addictive at all, try giving it up for a few months. If you can go a few months without any problems then you're not addicted.
Look, drugs forum has a cannabis addiction subforum for a reason, clearly people struggle with both psychological and physical addiction from it. Here's the link to it: https://drugs-forum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=417

People say there's no physical addiction, but evidence from there states otherwise.

And you can't say drugs forum is bought out by big pharma or the government, it's not. You can't say their delusional or don't know because they are the users themselves, reporting their own experiences.

I would imagine the samples from there are skewed towards the very heavy users (heavier than the CD users), but they go against the mantra on here that it's harmless and not addictive. Months without decent sleep and depression and irritability sound as bad as any opiate or meth addiction.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:54 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Look, drugs forum has a cannabis addiction subforum for a reason, clearly people struggle with both psychological and physical addiction from it. Here's the link to it: https://drugs-forum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=417

Let me know when people start selling their bodies for pot. I keep hearing this yet in my 20 years plus of smoking it I have never met anyone whose addicted to it. Yes, there are those who have addictive personalities & I can see them getting hooked on it just like they would ANYTHING else.

4 Myths About Marijuana Addiction

Marijuana: 7 Health Myths Up in Smoke - Marijuana: 7 Health Myths Up in Smoke - Pictures - CBS News

Old 05-24-2016, 10:08 AM

529 posts, read 508,287 times
So, like, I take 300 mg of venlaxamine as an anti-depressant. The only side effects I have are extreme dry mouth (annoying), and weight gain (terrible. You telling me if I instant quit these pills I won't suddenly become suicidal again? I can beat it by smoking weed? Give me a break!!!

Do I like the side-effects? Of course not. Does this mean I think everyone under the sun shouldn't take prescription drugs? Of course not.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:58 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I don't know...seems the US gov believes in it...so much that they have a patent on it.
I don't see anything in the patent or other descriptions that show it to be "horrid" at all.
https://sites.google.com/site/6630507/

A patent on something doesn't tell you anything one way or another about side effects. Patents on new chemical molecules owned by large pharmaceutical companies also say nothing about side-effects - just what the compound is, how to make it, and what it treats.

Side-effects are reports culled from data in sanctioned clinical trials. You do a clinical trial on mj, you'll get a whole list of side effects because it is bioactive. Some of them, contrary to individual experiences, would make you aghast. But if they don't occur in you.. they don't occur in you. Aspirin is taken by millions of people daily. For some people the side-effects of aspirin are horrible (and may even include death in a Reye's syndrome situation)

mj is apparently generally safe based on population usage, but it certainly has plenty of side-effects. Its whether they are tolerable and the extent of the users which they effect. On the whole, the informal clinical trial being performed by millions of people suggest the side-effects are manageable.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:12 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
So, like, I take 300 mg of venlaxamine as an anti-depressant. The only side effects I have are extreme dry mouth (annoying), and weight gain (terrible. You telling me if I instant quit these pills I won't suddenly become suicidal again? I can beat it by smoking weed? Give me a break!!!
Where is anyone here saying anything like that?

Old 05-24-2016, 01:20 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoznots View Post
I know, another debate about Marijuana, but I want to take this in a bit of a different direction. There is so much debate about whether Marijuana is good or not, the health benefits etc. yet you can hardly get any prescription drug today without it listing tons of pretty bad side effects. For example, I recently got a new prescription drug from my neurologist and it says:

Like seriously, WTF??? I realize it's not guaranteed you will get all, or any of those side effects. But it amazes me the hypocrisy that politicians to doctors act as if Marijuana is so horrible yet they endlessly prescribe drugs that have the potential for about a million different side effects. Do they honestly even believe half the stuff they spout?
That's because marijuana has shown to be void of those potential issues. Same goes for psilocybin mushrooms, for the most part. Therefore, it must remain illegal while morons like Nancy Grace spew BS about it in order to keep her viewers ignorant and frightened, and so that the prison industrial complex can continue to grow while people become dependent and totally jacked up from psych meds, if they already weren't dependent on that garbage before their stint in prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates