Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 05:20 PM
eok eok started this thread

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
"Drugs" vary from aspirin, to caffeine, ...
I didn't intend for this debate to be about which drugs should be illegal. Only about whether we can get rid of illegal drugs, drug addicts, and other drug criminals. It implies the debate is also about how to accomplish that. But not about which drugs should or shouldn't be illegal. That would be an entirely different debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 05:34 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I didn't intend for this debate to be about which drugs should be illegal. Only about whether we can get rid of illegal drugs, drug addicts, and other drug criminals. It implies the debate is also about how to accomplish that. But not about which drugs should or shouldn't be illegal. That would be an entirely different debate.
Ok, but what you're not understanding is that it is such an important part of the conversation that it can't be left out, because your initial premise was capital punishment for anyone who violates your fantasy drug policies. When the stakes are that high, I would think that which drugs falls on which side of the line becomes of upmost importance.

But if you want to keep the debate at a level so simple that the only question is "Can we can get rid of illegal drugs, drug addicts, and other drug criminals?", I have already answered that in previous posts.

But in an effort to be absolutely clear on it, the answer again is "No", unless they are legalized.

Drugs have been a part of every human society that has ever existed, regardless of their legality.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:45 PM

If we motivate them to stay out of state, it wouldn't work? Meaning they wouldn't stay out of state? Because we would fail to motivate them strongly enough?

Old 05-26-2016, 09:18 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
because a gun doesn't affect your brain chemistry and physiology.
Guns definitely affect your state of mind. I guess you've never been around them.

For the kind of drug policies you advocate to be put into effect you'd have to have strict gun control, because otherwise people would exercise their Second Amendment rights against the tyranny you advocate.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:22 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Guns definitely affect your state of mind. I guess you've never been around them.

For the kind of drug policies you advocate to be put into effect you'd have to have strict gun control, because otherwise people would exercise their Second Amendment rights against the tyranny you advocate.
i wasn't advocating anything. i was talking in a tangent conversation with someone else regarding death penalties.

no, guns don't alter your blood chemistry. nice try. love how liberals always try to criminalize the gun, vs the person. next.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:32 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
i wasn't advocating anything. i was talking in a tangent conversation with someone else regarding death penalties.

no, guns don't alter your blood chemistry. nice try. love how liberals always try to criminalize the gun, vs the person. next.
I'm not pro-gun control.

But guns do alter your state of mind.

It is true that you can't have the type of harsh antidrug policies that you advocate without gun control. Mainly because an armed populace will justifiably put drug warriors in their place - dead. The Asian countries you cite all have disarmed populaces.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:01 AM

Quote:
most people can control their alcohol consumption.
with opiates, 95 out of 100 people wouldn't be able to.
It's not lack of willpower or a character flaw. It's because the drugs change your brain chemistry to make you a different person with a different character. When your brain is changed chemically, you acquire different motivations and priorities, replacing the ones you had before the drugs.

However, this debate is about whether we can get rid of illegal drugs, drug addicts, and other drug criminals, in a particular state. Especially by motivating them to move out of state. Comparing drugs with alcohol, etc., is really a different debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates