U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2016, 10:19 PM

4,117 posts, read 6,130,244 times

Advertisements

I would suspect in this day and time, millions and millions of words have been posted on this site concerning guns, and who should own them.
One side states no way will I ever surrender my guns, while the other side demands a change in gun availability and ownership.

So here we are, no further along with a compromise, and this argument has been going on for years.
Perhaps instead of going off willy nilly, and getting nothing accomplished, it is time to take a serious look at what needs to be the protocol in dealing with this gun issue now, and in the future.

For the most part, I believe there should be some sort of control on the sales of guns, but I also believe people should have the means to defend themselves, should the need arise.

Those in favor of what some politicians call"strict gun control" are walking down a blind ally, with no hope of ever getting change,because they do not know how to proceed.
Change is possible, and on a large scale, but gun control people have not the slightest idea on how to effect change.

They are to consumed in yelling foul and stating we must have gun control, while on the other side, the NRA is holding firm.
So like any other "war" (and this is a war) those wanting change must face the enemy head on, and to gun control people, the NRA is the enemy.

What is the NRA?
It is a lobby group devoted to the millions of gun owners in the country.
In recent years they have become like a "club", and have developed a strong following, as well as a sizable bank account.
On the surface it would appear the NRA is untouchable.

That point can certainly be up for debate, and with the recent events in the last few years, the NRA may very well be on shaky ground if, and this is a giant if, the gun control folks do an about face, and deal with this issue head on.

One would ask how can the gun control forces possibly defeat an organization so entrenched in american society?

Quite simple once they realize what it is they need to do.
They need to do exactly what the NRA has always done.
Organize, lobby, and most of all gain new members in their organization.

The one, what would seem to be an insurmountable , and unobtainable goal, is to address the constitution of the united states.

That is the only way the laws regarding guns in this country will ever be addressed.

The NRA presently has the backing of the constitution on their side, so that only leaves one option to the gun control advocates, and that is to organize, lobby, recruit many, many members with like thinking, and work to get the 2nd amendment changed.

Notice I did not say repealed(as I did a few years ago).

The amendment could be changed to reflect the times we live in presently, it does not have to be done away with.

Wars always take time, and along the way many casualties as well.
This "war" will be one for change from the status quo.
It is winnable, but strong organization is the key.

I couldn't begin to even guess at the membership of the NRA, but I am sure they never grew to where they are by sitting on their butts and doing nothing but complaining.

They are a powerful force in Washington politics, and I would say too the gun control advocates, you need to be just as strong.

You have a cause, then go out and fight for that cause, all the while remembering the constitution is the key to any change, it will never happen until the constitution , and it's wording are addressed.

Bob.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:23 PM

6,239 posts, read 4,573,598 times
More laws and restrictions effect only the law abiding.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:32 PM

915 posts, read 494,400 times
Yep because normal law abiding americans are on the no fly list. Assault weapons are definitely less dangerous than flying on airplanes with steal enforced cockpit doors.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:40 PM

8,459 posts, read 5,825,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I would suspect in this day and time, millions and millions of words have been posted on this site concerning guns, and who should own them.
One side states no way will I ever surrender my guns, while the other side demands a change in gun availability and ownership.

So here we are, no further along with a compromise, and this argument has been going on for years.
Perhaps instead of going off willy nilly, and getting nothing accomplished, it is time to take a serious look at what needs to be the protocol in dealing with this gun issue now, and in the future.

For the most part, I believe there should be some sort of control on the sales of guns, but I also believe people should have the means to defend themselves, should the need arise.

Those in favor of what some politicians call"strict gun control" are walking down a blind ally, with no hope of ever getting change,because they do not know how to proceed.
Change is possible, and on a large scale, but gun control people have not the slightest idea on how to effect change.

They are to consumed in yelling foul and stating we must have gun control, while on the other side, the NRA is holding firm.
So like any other "war" (and this is a war) those wanting change must face the enemy head on, and to gun control people, the NRA is the enemy.

What is the NRA?
It is a lobby group devoted to the millions of gun owners in the country.
In recent years they have become like a "club", and have developed a strong following, as well as a sizable bank account.
On the surface it would appear the NRA is untouchable.

That point can certainly be up for debate, and with the recent events in the last few years, the NRA may very well be on shaky ground if, and this is a giant if, the gun control folks do an about face, and deal with this issue head on.

One would ask how can the gun control forces possibly defeat an organization so entrenched in american society?

Quite simple once they realize what it is they need to do.
They need to do exactly what the NRA has always done.
Organize, lobby, and most of all gain new members in their organization.

The one, what would seem to be an insurmountable , and unobtainable goal, is to address the constitution of the united states.

That is the only way the laws regarding guns in this country will ever be addressed.

The NRA presently has the backing of the constitution on their side, so that only leaves one option to the gun control advocates, and that is to organize, lobby, recruit many, many members with like thinking, and work to get the 2nd amendment changed.

Notice I did not say repealed(as I did a few years ago).

The amendment could be changed to reflect the times we live in presently, it does not have to be done away with.

Wars always take time, and along the way many casualties as well.
This "war" will be one for change from the status quo.
It is winnable, but strong organization is the key.

I couldn't begin to even guess at the membership of the NRA, but I am sure they never grew to where they are by sitting on their butts and doing nothing but complaining.

They are a powerful force in Washington politics, and I would say too the gun control advocates, you need to be just as strong.

You have a cause, then go out and fight for that cause, all the while remembering the constitution is the key to any change, it will never happen until the constitution , and it's wording are addressed.

Bob.
We should stop jacking around with exactly who should buy these semi-automatic weapons of mass destruction that can be reloaded in 10ths of a second and stop selling them, period.

Take them off the shelves.

There are many weapons that cannot be purchased or carried by civilians. The clip/magazine fed semi-automatic firearm should join this list.
The Second Amendment need not be changed. You can't carry a hand grenade; can't carry a flame thrower; can't buy a stinger missile; can't hunt birds with more than 3 rounds available in your shotgun.......there are all sorts of restrictions.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:42 PM

6,239 posts, read 4,573,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Yep because normal law abiding americans are on the no fly list. Assault weapons are definitely less dangerous than flying on airplanes with steal enforced cockpit doors.
Weapons in the hands of the law abiding are not something to be worried about.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:44 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,343,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
We should stop jacking around with exactly who should buy these semi-automatic weapons of mass destruction that can be reloaded in 10ths of a second and stop selling them, period.

Take them off the shelves.

There are many weapons that cannot be purchased or carried by civilians. The clip/magazine fed semi-automatic firearm should join this list.
What a silly post, full of bias and propaganda.

So a gun is now the weapon of mass destruction ? Like a nuclear bomb, or a chemical / biological weapon ?

So you propose outlawing every handgun, revolver, semi-automatic hunting rifle or shotgun and only leaving single shot weapons ?

Do you also advocate forced searches and confiscations in every home, apartment, project, shelter, or burned out ghetto in the US ?

Because this is the only way to get tens of millions of illegal weapons off the streets, at least temporarily.

Or do you only intend to enforce the law on people who already abide by the law ?

Too bad that our vote counts just as much as yours does.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:34 AM

2,290 posts, read 1,867,411 times
Political "rant" type posts do not constitute a debate, which should have a clear for and against premise.

*****A Must Read For Great Debate Posters*****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates