U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-27-2016, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Exeter, NH
5,200 posts, read 4,204,940 times
Reputation: 5454

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's pure BS, most illegals pay the same taxes as citizens, unless they work under the table, they pay the same payroll taxes as you and I, and they also pay vehicle registration tax, sales tax and state taxes. Oh, and by the way - they do NOT get subsidized housing, and their healthcare is limited to ER care under EMTALA, and they are not eligible for ACA subsidies. I already addressed the education issue, that is the result of a 34 year old Supreme Court decision.
If you are an illegal alien, you in all likelihood do NOT have a Social Security number, and therefore the employer could not make the required Social Security/Medicare taxes, even if they desperately wanted to.

While it is possible to get a SS card and contribute to the system even if you aren't a U.S. citizen, most illegals won't do something that flags them to DNS, and only costs them money (they're illegal, not stupid).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2016, 01:48 PM
 
Location: la la land
27,179 posts, read 11,349,748 times
Reputation: 19279
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
If you are an illegal alien, you in all likelihood do NOT have a Social Security number, and therefore the employer could not make the required Social Security/Medicare taxes, even if they desperately wanted to.
While it is possible to get a SS card and contribute to the system even if you aren't a U.S. citizen, most illegals won't do something that flags them to DNS, and only costs them money (they're illegal, not stupid).
They can't get a SSN, but they can get an ITIN from IRS, but most use fake SSN's along with fake ID's so they payroll taxes are withheld from their check but it does not go into their Social Security account.
https://news.vice.com/article/unauth...er-last-decade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2016, 02:06 PM
 
4,229 posts, read 1,905,340 times
Reputation: 3782
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
If you are an illegal alien, you in all likelihood do NOT have a Social Security number, and therefore the employer could not make the required Social Security/Medicare taxes, even if they desperately wanted to.
Only citizens and those with explicit DHS approval can have a Social Security number. Others will have fake SSNs -- easily purchased on the street for chump change -- or they will have an ITIN (an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number). The IRS processes tax returns for about 1.5 million ITINs each year.

Meanwhile, employers are required to fill out an I-9 for every employee they hire. Part of that is a summary of the documentation relied upon in concluding that an individual is eligible to work in the US.

Employers are also obligated to withhold and remit payroll taxes and federal income taxes. The penalties for failure to do so are quite strict. The whole deal for an employer is CYA -- which means treating every employee just the same as all the others. Differential treatment is like a signed confession that you knew you were hiring an illegal. Nobody with an interest in remaining in business does that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2016, 03:21 PM
 
1,850 posts, read 531,039 times
Reputation: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
If you are an illegal alien, you in all likelihood do NOT have a Social Security number, and therefore the employer could not make the required Social Security/Medicare taxes, even if they desperately wanted to.

While it is possible to get a SS card and contribute to the system even if you aren't a U.S. citizen, most illegals won't do something that flags them to DNS, and only costs them money (they're illegal, not stupid).
Actually, pretty much everything he told you was false. In fact, as you say, not only do illegals break the law by stealing SS numbers, they do not do so in order to pay taxes, like they came to America because they have this chest-swelling desire to give money to the government. Illegals actually receive billions of dollars in tax refunds (which is itself laughable because it's not a "refund" when they get more than they pay). This is something the IRS actively knows about, and even more incredibly, says they will continue to do. In other words, if you get an extra $100 from the IRS, they'll track you down and demand it back. If an illegal does, they shrug and grin, which is more than a little odd to most citizens of the country.


Also, he tried the old "illegals can't get Obamacare" line. That's also demonstrably false. Not only do they do so "unintentionally" (Forbes Welcome), but they also do "intentionally" (California Moves Toward Extending Obamacare to Illegal Immigrants | Health Care News | US News).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2016, 04:13 PM
 
Location: la la land
27,179 posts, read 11,349,748 times
Reputation: 19279
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Actually, pretty much everything he told you was false. In fact, as you say, not only do illegals break the law by stealing SS numbers, they do not do so in order to pay taxes, like they came to America because they have this chest-swelling desire to give money to the government. Illegals actually receive billions of dollars in tax refunds (which is itself laughable because it's not a "refund" when they get more than they pay). This is something the IRS actively knows about, and even more incredibly, says they will continue to do. In other words, if you get an extra $100 from the IRS, they'll track you down and demand it back. If an illegal does, they shrug and grin, which is more than a little odd to most citizens of the country.
Most use expired SSN's (dead people) or they use a fake number, there is no way you can get an income tax return using either one because those accounts would still have the real owner of the SSN on file. They can legally get a tax refund if they file using an ITIN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Also, he tried the old "illegals can't get Obamacare" line. That's also demonstrably false. Not only do they do so "unintentionally" (Forbes Welcome), but they also do "intentionally" (California Moves Toward Extending Obamacare to Illegal Immigrants | Health Care News | US News).
The bill was passed and has to have approval of the feds, it would allow undocumented people to buy insurance on the ACA but WITHOUT subsidy, it's pretty hard for me to get upset about that, they can already buy private insurance from a broker, buying it through the ACA is not really a big deal without subsidies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top