Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 12:55 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Would your kids starve if not for the free food during the summer?

I sympathize with those who have lost jobs and I know wages are depressed. I don't have any issue with government assistance for those who need it. Most of us are only a couple pay checks away from being in a position where we may need financial assistance. I know people who are poor, working poor, who receive food stamps and other assistance. I dont know any who have starving children or depend on this summer food program to feed their children. I don't have issue with reduced or free lunch program at school for those that need it although Im confident those children would not starve to death if the program didnt exist. I don't feel there is a need for this summer feeding program or free lunch for everyone.
Perhaps it is different in metro areas or Northern states. Living in the Southern rural Appalachia I do not see starving children nor kids that need additional food assistance.
Aside from the great racial differences, which are indeed great between
most metropolitan cities and rural Appalachia, there is a difference in upbringing
and attitude toward the state.
Those who institute programs such as summer breakfasts and lunches have a plan
in mind... that plan moves toward the whole "It Takes A Village" mentality of
dependence on the state; indeed, replacement of the parental burden onto the state
and away from the biological parents. This is an illuminati plan, to destroy the
independence of the family, and strip the family of ability to procure its own destiny.

Here is an article that was printed in the June 21, 1924 issue of the Joplin Globe.
Ironically enough, the article is called, "From Hell to Breakfast".
It's a qiuck read in JPG format.
http://i2.wp.com/truthstreammedia.co..._21__1924_.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 01:31 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My point was that it is not a needs based program and

Again, we need to agree on the definition of needs-based program before we go through the numbers.

I define a needs based program as a program that is not paying for a good or service, but is giving out a free good or service to someone based purely on the fact that they need it.

How do you define it? Perhaps we can each tailor our definitions until they agree, and then we can look at the government programs and categorize each one, and add them up. I'm not afraid to if you aren't.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:05 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Again, we need to agree on the definition of needs-based program before we go through the numbers.

I define a needs based program as a program that is not paying for a good or service, but is giving out a free good or service to someone based purely on the fact that they need it.

How do you define it? Perhaps we can each tailor our definitions until they agree, and then we can look at the government programs and categorize each one, and add them up. I'm not afraid to if you aren't.

Need-based | Define Need-based at Dictionary.com
need-based
adjective
decided according to the extent to which it is needed; also called needs-based
Examples
Financial assistance is almost always need-based.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs"
-Karl Marx

Old 06-28-2016, 04:04 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,655 times
Quote:
My point was that it is not a needs based program and
Im not sure exactly what you are saying but last I heard, everyone needs something. That is why democracies arent suposed to have needs based programs. That is a communist Idea.

I grew up poor. really poor. We had nothing to eat most of the time. When I got older I donated time and money to organizations to feed poor kids. I absolutely regret that today. Being poor and having no food made me and the rest of the kids in my family independent and resourceful. Giving without requiring work for it just makes people dependent and useless.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:07 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
2) I believe I did mention earlier that the middle class was shrinking while the lower class was growing.
This is false, actually. If you were born to the middle class, you have a very high likelihood of remaining in the middle class. The middle class is actually growing slowly. The problem is that we have such lousy socioeconomic class mobility that the higher birth rate bottom 30% (our existing permanent underclass and all our immigrants) has skewed the data.

So it's not that the middle class is shrinking since it's not. It's that the high birthrate lowest class is stuck there and is growing fairly rapidly. That's created an enormous glut of poorly educated unskilled labor.

There's no magic to upward class mobility. It's education and work ethic. Pretty much anybody here got the memo from our parents. That bottom 20% didn't get the memo and the quality of their school systems is so lousy that they're not getting the memo at school either.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:13 PM

42,847 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Need-based | Define Need-based at Dictionary.com need-based adjective decided according to the extent to which it is needed; also called needs-based Examples Financial assistance is almost always need-based. "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" -Karl Marx
I am not sure why you are confused.

TANF, SNAP, Medicaid, WIC, Hud Vouchers, and SSI are all needs based programs, you can only have a certain level of assets and income in order to receive them.

Social Security, including SSDI unemployment compensation and workers compensation are NOT needs based, you do not have to prove you need them to receive them, nor do you have to have less than a certain amount of income or assets.

I'm not sure where you are going with this, but if you want to try to call everything 'needs based' then let's include infrastructure spending as well cause as you know we all "need roads"

Old 06-28-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Giving without requiring work for it just makes people dependent and useless.
Are you aware that in order for adults to receive welfare in the US they have to either be working or in an approved jobs training program? TANF Work Requirements and State Strategies to Fulfill Them | Office of Planning, Research & Evaluation | Administration for Children and Families

Old 06-28-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is false, actually. If you were born to the middle class, you have a very high likelihood of remaining in the middle class. The middle class is actually growing slowly. The problem is that we have such lousy socioeconomic class mobility that the higher birth rate bottom 30% (our existing permanent underclass and all our immigrants) has skewed the data.

So it's not that the middle class is shrinking since it's not. It's that the high birthrate lowest class is stuck there and is growing fairly rapidly. That's created an enormous glut of poorly educated unskilled labor.

There's no magic to upward class mobility. It's education and work ethic. Pretty much anybody here got the memo from our parents. That bottom 20% didn't get the memo and the quality of their school systems is so lousy that they're not getting the memo at school either.

Just how do you come up with this? I know a lot of former middle class people who are now lower class. I know a lot of middle class people in their 60's who are just praying that they die before they run out of money. A rather large portion of these middle class people have their kids who are in their 30's and 40's living at home with them. Are these the middle class kids you are talking about?

Old 06-28-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Those who institute programs such as summer breakfasts and lunches have a plan in mind... that plan moves toward the whole "It Takes A Village" mentality of dependence on the state; indeed, replacement of the parental burden onto the state and away from the biological parents. This is an illuminati plan, to destroy the independence of the family, and strip the family of ability to procure its own destiny.
Oh please stop..the illuminati did not arrange free lunches for kids, it came about because teachers were hearing from their students that they weren't getting lunch when they weren't in school. Can't you just drop the conspiracy theories and agree that it is a good thing when little kids don't go hungry?

Old 06-28-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Are you aware that in order for adults to receive welfare in the US they have to either be working or in an approved jobs training program? TANF Work Requirements and State Strategies to Fulfill Them | Office of Planning, Research & Evaluation | Administration for Children and Families
Thats why they dont collect welfare. They go after the child programs.

I have rentals and many people (usually women) with kids come to rent presenting section 8 vouchers or som other type of housing, They dont seem to work at all and list their income as welfare related and generally if they have a few kids they are getting more than the average person who rents from me. I dont rent to them because they end to trash the places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates