Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2016, 09:45 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Thank you for proving my point. If you actually read these articles you will find the malnutrition is due to things other than hunger. As well the 15th percentile for weight is not an indicator or starvation.
How silly, where did I say that malnutrition is due to hunger? If your diet consists of lays potato chips and soda you may not be hungry but you most likely will be malnourished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 12:37 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How silly, where did I say that malnutrition is due to hunger? If your diet consists of lays potato chips and soda you may not be hungry but you most likely will be malnourished.
Where did you say it wasn't.
Here are some of your quotes all implying you are saying kids are going hungry:

"argues that they aren't really hungry, or that giving them food makes them reliant on the welfare system to which I say BS. Preventing malnutrition costs about 1% of the expense of treating the physical and mental problems caused by growing up with an inadequate diet.

Definitely we should just starve those little rascals

44K is not a ton of money for four people to live on. I am amazed that you are troubled about poor kids getting a free meal

when it comes to a few bucks to feed poor kids

You think kids should go hungry to build character"

You did not speak to causes of malnutrition nor did you even respond to the causes I quoted from your link on causes of malnourished cases in the US. Its pretty obvious your stand is that kids are going hungry to the point of malnourishment.

Then there is this response:

"your position on this is that if a child doesn't get enough to eat and it's the parents fault then too bad for the kid, let them grow up malnourished"

So let me get this straight you don't actually believe kids are going hungry. You do believe there is an epidemic of cases of malnourishment due to parents being incapable of using their wages or food stamps to buy anything other than junk food for their children and that providing a free breakfast and lunch to all children all year thru a federal program will prevent this.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:19 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Free abortions for all. Birth control requirements for people living off of state subsidies. It ain't rocket science, people. When you kill a baby in the womb or keep it from ever being conceived in the first place, the argument about letting it starve becomes moot. Toss all the food you want to into those dumpsters behind the clinic, those dismembered fetuses aren't eating a single bite.
Although stated crudely, this is an important point.

Too many American believe in spaghetti monsters that, through a 3rd person, tell us all that our job is to pump out as many children as humanly possible.

We suspend any normal logic when it comes to this topic!

The very same group of people who fight against sex education, condoms, women's health centers, etc - are the folks yapping about welfare!

It defies all reason and logic.

To properly address these points we have to stop playing the Great Game. That is, our population and our GDP do not have to constantly rise. Let's instead measure in other ways - like physical and mental health and quality of life.

Once we give up that rat race we can then set policies where you must take responsibility for yourself - and then for your children. Financially and otherwise.

I'd picture a program like "scared straight" where we show young people what it is really like to be a parent forever and ever.

We'd then even have financial penalties for having children instead of more and more programs and tax breaks - and, yes, tax breaks are the same as welfare in a sense.

But it will not happen. As I said, people suspend all logic.

Example - I'm sure we all know people who complain about their property taxes. I have a number of neighbors with 2 or 3 children who pay $5K or so each year in these taxes. Of course, two children in the local schools cost me $23,000 total per year.

I'm sure wealthy (or any) people don't like to think they are on massive welfare. But they are. So - where does the money come from?

Hmmmmm....maybe our debt and deficit, etc.???

Old 09-12-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Where did you say it wasn't.
So let me get this straight you don't actually believe kids are going hungry. You do believe there is an epidemic of cases of malnourishment due to parents being incapable of using their wages or food stamps to buy anything other than junk food for their children and that providing a free breakfast and lunch to all children all year thru a federal program will prevent this.
You apparently have decided that there are no hungry or malnourished kids in this country, or that if there are, then it's the parent's fault so screw the kids. It's clear that I can't change your mind about that so there is little point in continuing the discussion

Old 09-12-2016, 04:15 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Quote:
Definitely we should just starve those little rascals, or better yet put them in a sack and drown them
We can care for homeless children without encouraging and rewarding
this type of irresponsible lifestyle by adults.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
We can care for homeless children without encouraging and rewarding
this type of irresponsible lifestyle by adults.
were we even talking about homeless children here?

Old 09-12-2016, 04:54 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Just wanted to interject:

In the state of Colorado, a family of 4 (1 adult & 3 kids) will receive approx. $215 of SNAP benefits for one month.

That is $7.16 per day to feed 4 people for 3 meals per day.

Or; your weekly grocery shopping budget = $53.75. For 4 people.

This means you buy alot of cheap starches & NO unprocessed meats. Very few veggies because they don't fill you up" very well.

Starving? No. Malnutritioned? YES.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
You apparently have decided that there are no hungry or malnourished kids in this country, or that if there are, then it's the parent's fault so screw the kids. It's clear that I can't change your mind about that so there is little point in continuing the discussion
Yes, according to everything I have read child hunger is rare in the US and when it occurs it is a result of parental neglect not lack of food. Yes cases of malnourishment in children are due to medical conditions, physical or psychological, not due to lack of food. Even the article YOU linked supports this.

No you cant change my mind because everything I read supports my stance and you have not shown any medical research or statistics showing otherwise.
You saying starving and malnourished children are running rampant in our schools and communities does not make it so. Everything else points otherwise.

I never said screw the kids. In fact I support supplementing food for families in need.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Just wanted to interject:

In the state of Colorado, a family of 4 (1 adult & 3 kids) will receive approx. $215 of SNAP benefits for one month.

That is $7.16 per day to feed 4 people for 3 meals per day.

Or; your weekly grocery shopping budget = $53.75. For 4 people.

This means you buy alot of cheap starches & NO unprocessed meats. Very few veggies because they don't fill you up" very well.

Starving? No. Malnutritioned? YES.

I dont know the source of your information but I found a table showing average amounts from USDA (below). Keep in mind also that SNAP is a supplemental program, not meant to buy all of your groceries. Also a family of 4 can make 44,955$ in Colorado and still qualify. On top of that you have $$ assistance programs for things like child care costs, housing, utilities, cell phones and of course free breakfast and lunch at school and many districts offer free school supplies for those on assistance.

There is no reason children should be malnourished. Seriously, we have all seen people shop with food stamps or with cash. There are those who have real healthy food in their cart and those who have chips, sodas and little Debbie cakes. Our diets are a result of learned behavior and choice. While we might not afford to eat steak and lobster or the best cuts of meat or out of season fruits and veggies, rice is cheap, oatmeal instead of sugary cereals, etc., chicken is relatively cheap and smart shopping and local sales of in season and frozen produce is affordable and nutritious.

The net monthly income of the household is multiplied by .3, and the result is subtracted from the maximum allotment for the household size to find the household's allotment. This is because SNAP households are expected to spend about 30 percent of their resources on food.

People In Household - Maximum Monthly Allotment
1 $ 194
2 $ 357
3 $ 511
4 $649
5 $ 771
6 $ 925
7 $1,022
8 $1,169
Each additional person $ 146

Old 09-13-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I dont know the source of your information but I found a table showing average amounts from USDA (below). Keep in mind also that SNAP is a supplemental program, not meant to buy all of your groceries. Also a family of 4 can make 44,955$ in Colorado and still qualify. On top of that you have $$ assistance programs for things like child care costs, housing, utilities, cell phones and of course free breakfast and lunch at school and many districts offer free school supplies for those on assistance.
A family of 4 making $44,955 can only qualify if they are paying huge amounts of that income out in rent, utility bills or child care, go to the calculator and check for yourself. FNS SNAP Program Eligibility Screening Tool

As far as those other programs, no one making 49k a year would qualify for them. Unless you are talking about child care tax credits which are available to anyone who files income tax the only childcare assistance is through TANF and that is a temporary program for adults with children who participate in welfare to work programs and to qualify you basically have to be dirt poor. The TANF monthly cash payment for a family of three varies by state, in Tennessee it is $185 a month.

I have no problem with you criticizing these programs, I don't think some of them are working as intended and need fixing, but it's disingenuous to claim that middle class families are eligible for them, or that they are extraordinarily generous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates