Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2016, 09:06 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
There aren't even enough jobs that pay minimum wage.

I did very well in college. Was on dean's list few times. Made president's list once. Graduated with a high GPA both as an ungrad and as a grad student. I have received zero job offers since 2009, not even a minimum wage job. I'm sure I'm not the only one. All college does is put you into debt and educates you out of the available job market. I was told many times I was either "overeducated" or "overqualified." I haven't been called to a job interview since March 2010. So, the choice is to either receive benefits or die. Which would most people choose?
Horrible situation... But do you mind if I ask what was your major in college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 09:07 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,301 times
As I thought, the major welfare recipient is actually Trump. He probably did not pay and federal taxes for decades:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/04/op...ol-left-region

Old 10-04-2016, 10:44 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
As I thought, the major welfare recipient is actually Trump. He probably did not pay and federal taxes for decades:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/04/op...ol-left-region
I'll guess you didn't major in accounting.

There was no welfare involved.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:20 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Well, in this future dystopia, could large corporations decide to execute parts of the populace?
The future is now. "Execute" may be a strong word ... how about "limit"; as in Bill Gates in Africa & India?

Old 10-04-2016, 11:18 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I'll guess you didn't major in accounting.

There was no welfare involved.
It's still a double standard. Trump or corporations take advantage of loopholes like avoiding paying no small amounts of taxes. When an individual finds ways to use government assistance programs without breaking the law, then shouldn't be labeled as moochers, lazy, nor immoral either.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:32 PM

8,209 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Horrible situation... But do you mind if I ask what was your major in college?
Final one was criminal justice. I have a bachelor's and Master's degree in criminal justice. First degree was in office systems technology.

Right now I'm on disability.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:30 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
It's still a double standard. Trump or corporations take advantage of loopholes like avoiding paying no small amounts of taxes. When an individual finds ways to use government assistance programs without breaking the law, then shouldn't be labeled as moochers, lazy, nor immoral either.
Yes our tax system is a mess also. It allows some without need to take away from others who are more deserving of a break. At the other end of the spectrum it also allows those who pay very little to no income taxes to reap a good return through child care credits so they are essentially getting free money. Its all a redistribution of income.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:07 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
There are some things in life that we should be able to accept as the price for living in America. The tax dollars that go to others welfare is one of them. The feeding program in question is simply brought to the fore in the same manner as most of what gives some a terrible heartburn. And that would be, the critics of "certain" government expenditures. Many countries around the globe have abandoned their poor, leaving them to die or suffer a short life of severe deprivation, we, on the other hand, feed and help shelter millions of our countrymen, not to mention giving aid to corporations. But the programs that raise the notion of a more stringent scrutiny being needed seem to be those that aid the poor. Why?

Concerning oneself about fraud in government programs is one thing, but advocating for second guessing the basis for these programs seems limited to that which helps ordinary citizens, and all too often excludes a concern for the fact that we collectively fund programs that aid the already wealthy. All government expenditures eventually end up in the coffers of business, and some goes to fund local tax revenue collected from both private citizens and business. Color those welfare dollars red and we'll see where they end up.

I just finished reading JD Vance's book, Hillbilly Elegy, he describes the poverty of spirit that affects the poor every bit as much as the material deprivation that has been a driver of various aid programs over the last eighty years. He agrees to some extent that the aid is often abused and used as a supplement to a lazy lifestyle, but he also recognizes the good that these programs have brought. No one with any powers of reasoning would advocate for a cradle to grave handout to the poor, But-- we do have an obvious clashing of realities with regard to the emergent economic reality of a mightily changed work paradigm as opposed to the fact that not all will be able to participate in the new world of hi-tech employment. What to do with these non conforming people is still the big question that neither industry nor government---or, CD posters, seems to be able to address.

Last edited by jertheber; 10-05-2016 at 09:28 AM..

Old 10-05-2016, 10:26 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Our current welfare systems punishes people on it who try to work and rewards people for sitting at home and never trying to work. Also, if you do get SS disability it takes forever to get your money so once you get it you're afraid to go to work because if you can't work again by the time you get any help you've been evicted and your credit score is ruined.

I really like the idea of Universal Income. Give every citizen $10k a year for life, no increased amount for having children and no less unless you make more than $30k. No more food stamps or public housing because your $10k will cover it.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:01 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
But the programs that raise the notion of a more stringent scrutiny being needed seem to be those that aid the poor. Why?
Because those are the things close to home. Most people come in contact with welfare programs designed for the poor or small time wastes of other federal/state programs and grants. The majority knows little about big time corporate welfare programs because we don't necessarily see it. We man know its there but we dont see it everyday. The more you see something and the closer you are to it the more you scrutinize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates