Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 10:21 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times

Advertisements

So much for media brainwashing.

Black, white, brown, or yellow, it's all about the features. It's also all about individual tastes.

One of my besties is black and very beautiful. If you put her next to Honey Boo Boo's mother I guarantee that she would get almost all of the most beautiful votes. Put her next to Jennifer Aniston and I guarantee she will still receive a great deal of most beautiful votes.

Skin color has nothing to do with it, and no amount of media hype will ever change individual tastes.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:39 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Asians support a huge market for skin bleachers, Caucasians spend thousands to get tan before prom, many black women straighten their hair, in the 70s all the white girls got perms.

There is no single standard for beauty, it all fluctuates, and anyone who tells you different has no understanding of culture or history.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:16 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,896 times
Except you can't speak for blacks. Your conclusion is laughable. I am a black woman and I do find white women attractive. However I have never felt that white women were more attractive then black women(or other groups for that matter) and certainly don't want to look like a white woman. The black people you spoke with that verbally admitted to wanting to be white, or look white, because they believe it is inherently better, for whatever the reason, are self-hating and pathetic, and do not represent me or any of the blacks I know.

And yes the media is partially a contributor to why whites are consistently overhyped and put on a pedestal. The heavily made up white women/men in the media are not representative of the average white men and women--yet these women and men are placed in nearly all forms of media(magazine ads, billboards, commercials, tv shows, etc) and often play roles that perpetuate favorable stereotypes(the free loving, liberal, accepting, sexually loose, happy woman). Which you even highlighted and admitted. And while the stereotype may hold some weight for some white women and men, it does not for all. Now if these images represent the majority of what's being shown in the media, in contrast to other groups being portrayed a certain way(negative to that of whites) and this is what you see all the time from child to adult then if you aren't a freethinking person(the average person is not) you may internalize some of what you see. If a group is consistently in your face, placed on a pedestal, and has positive attributes often associated with it--over time whether it is admitted or not, many average thinking people can and often will experience some conditioning about the group. Add Add to that, that before the media, there was colonization--which allowed whites to spread their messaging and conditioning that white is right.

This isn't to say that white women aren't attractive because obviously many are, but overall
white men who are in power, control decision making, and who have for centuries been spreading the message that "white is right", place their women and men on pedestals--which can cause groups--that have less power, that have been made to feel inferior--to actually feel that whites are in fact the most beautiful when in reality they are not.

And while I agree that whites are diverse in eye color and hair color, blacks are diverse in hair texture, features, and skin color. I don't find whites to be anymore diverse looking, and have always found that statement amusing. Being completely honest, just as someone has said that other groups don't stand out as much in pictures--when I'm out in public I find that a lot of diverse looking white wonen actually don't stand out very much to me. Other groups do a lot more.

*shrugs*

In other words, if some self-hating blacks actually feel that whites are more attractive for the reason you stated in your conclusion, it is the result of European colonization and the residual impact, media and the way and the frequency in which they are exposed to whites, cultural/social differences which you admitted to(white privilege which allows whites to have not experienced racism, to have a different perspective and more freedom) that blacks notice in their interactions with them which on the surface may seem refreshing, and so on. But while the media isn't the only contributor to the false idea that whites are more beautiful, it does play a big role.

Last edited by Faith2187; 06-21-2016 at 11:40 AM..

Old 06-21-2016, 11:32 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Beauty to me is more than just on the outside. You can have the prettiest woman ever and she is either a witch or dim witted, yeah she is pretty but being beautiful is so much more for me. The same goes for a average looking woman, she could have an amazing personality and be beautiful.

I agree with other posters that the origin that white skin is beautiful began in Europe but it has certainly changed since then.
My wife and I went out to eat the other night and our waitress was black and she smiled she was stunning. I did a double take on her and my wife said that she did a double take on me and my blue eyes.

Is it that people generally don't view themselves as beautiful and we covet what we don't have. That could be why so many white people go and get tans.

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:33 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Doesn't explain the fact that many whites marry or interbreed with other ethnics.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:40 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,606 times
Beauty if impossible to define as a group. We all find different people beautiful, and that's a beautiful thing.

The only one I can answer for, and am responsible for, is me. I'm white for the record. I've seen many beautiful black women, and handsome men over the years. I will say though, that percentage wise, my personal feeling is that I find a much larger percentage of white women as attractive compared to black women. I have no idea why....it's just biology, or beauty is in the eye of the beholder or whatever.

I've tried to figure this out myself. There are some typically black physical traits that aren't attractive to me, and the black women and/or men who don't have those traits, or at least not as pronounced, I tend to find a much larger percentage of them as attractive. Skin color varies among blacks, just like whites. I tend not to be attracted, physically speaking, to pale white skin that is pure white white. Nor do I find black skin that is so black it almost has a blue hue to it as attractive either.

Perhaps one day we'll all be a medium brown if we keep mixing it up.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:52 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,801 times
Beauty is subjective. Being white is subjective....

Race is so archaic. People should stop using the word race, discussions would be so much more educated.

Race is a figment of your imagination. Or do you believe that Adam and Eve made all the races? Do you believe in Adam and Eve?

Do you ?

Beautiful is beautiful regardless of the color of someones skin.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:41 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
I am white. Regardless of stereotypes or whether some races are disadvantaged, etc ... I don't think any race is more objectively beautiful than another.

I have seen incredible beauty in every race.

I don't think skin color has to do with the perception of beauty either, because beauty lies in the features and form. Given beautiful features, the skin color is only a secondary form of beauty.

As far as dark skin, I have seen black women with the darkest of skin who were gorgeous by any measure because their features were so beautiful. I was in the grocery store a couple of years ago, and the woman checking me out had some of the darkest skin I'd ever seen. She was very fine-boned from head to toe. Doe eyes. It was hard not to stare at her because her face and everything else about her was poetry. So beautiful, she would have been a photographer's dream.

By the same token, there was another checkout girl who at a different store who was white with long dark hair and blue eyes, and also so stunning it was hard to look away. She was actually doing modeling in Atlanta, but was too young to go to New York yet.

Both women were equally beautiful.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:46 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftylot24 View Post

Now if we accept that it's not just the media alone and that minorities find whites more attractive for an underlying reason then what could it be?
Minorities? Whites are minorities, too. We're about 10-12% of the world's population.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:20 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
Certainly not these days. You're living in the past. American television makes sure that a black person appears front and center at least every 8 seconds (no...I think it's 4 seconds nowadays). That's up from 54 seconds 25 years ago. As for whites, a strawberry blonde or "ginger" male (dyed that way) must be put on 32X as often as a brunette. You cannot even buy Just For Men Ash Brown anymore without orange dye in it. Its the new in thing.

Don't get me wrong. There are some fantastic looking black people, no doubt about that. Even among "cocoas" and "standards." But as a man-crazy guy, with a fetish for strawberry blondes that spans 40 years, I have to wonder about this "ginger" thing. I know "ginger" is quite popular on the gay apps. They've essentially stole my show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates