U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 03:42 AM

9 posts, read 4,743 times

Advertisements

Okay, I realize this would never happen, hence I am talking 110% hypothetically. Say we sent tons of nukes to every major area the middle east has from Mecca to....everywhere else, and we took over, what would it mean in the long term?

Old 06-21-2016, 04:03 AM

11,873 posts, read 8,037,817 times
... and what do you propose to do about the radioactive contamination that would randomly affect neighboring areas, and eventually the planet?

Watch the movie, "On the Beach."

Old 06-21-2016, 07:08 AM

10,579 posts, read 5,916,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuatson View Post
Okay, I realize this would never happen, hence I am talking 110% hypothetically. Say we sent tons of nukes to every major area the middle east has from Mecca to....everywhere else, and we took over, what would it mean in the long term?
It would mean that your cartoonish view of the effects of nuclear weapons reflects reality.

It would mean that 'we' (whoever that is) are collectively insane, or at least monumentally stupid.

It would mean that 'we' would need to institute a draft in order to have enough manpower to garrison the roughly two millions square miles of territory.

It would mean a global economic collapse due to the destruction of the infrastructure which supplies roughly 1/3rd of the world's petroleum.

It would mean the instant impeachment/removal of whoever initiated such an act, massive international blow-back, criminal prosecutions, and whatnot.

For a microcosm of some of the effects of this, you might want to look at the invasion of Iraq. Remember how well that was going to work? We were going to set up a democracy, which the Iraqis would embrace. Then the rest of the Middle East, seeing how terrific democracy is, would fall all over themselves to set uop their own democracies, and all the problems of the Middle East would be solved.

Remember that?

Remember how reality intruded on that wine and roses silliness? Well, the completely and utterly cluster**** that is Iraq these days would indeed look like wine and roses compared to the aftermath of the barking-mad "Let's just nuke 'em all and then take over!" scenario.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:13 AM

4,754 posts, read 1,447,253 times
Just a practical ? Why would one want to 'take over' what would then be a radioactive wasteland? That's like gassing a building so you can have it, while it is still gassed.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:10 AM

2,377 posts, read 1,212,141 times
Unsettomati, I have read many of your posts in the past, and although I think this thread will ultimately be pulled for obvious reasons, if you are still reading; what ideals do you offer as sanity in this state of the world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates