Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 05:47 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,001,235 times

Advertisements

Every time I hear an argument about welfare, poverty etc. I always think about this. People say "well, at least you have electricity, don't live in a shack with ten people, or poop in a hole". But then you actually try to live to the lowest standard possible, and you're met with a labyrinth of regulations essentially forcing you to take (and pay for) a "higher quality of life", though either higher rent (renting) or higher property cost/maintenance/tax (owning). A lot of places force you to be connected to the electrical grid. Even more complicated when you bring children in the mix. Being homeless is essentially illegal.

So, do you feel forced to take a certain quality of life? How much of this is fair and reasonable? Where do you prefer draw the line? I personally think sewage should be one to be regulated. But do you need heating in your Miami house to legally be able to support a child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 08:38 PM

366 posts, read 493,077 times
Uh...to the best of my knowledge you can get pretty minimalistic. You can get a P.O. Box at one of the drops in Florida and make that your residence (they will assist you in setting things up). So drop box about 10 -20 a month, State ID or Drivers license and now you are free to wander about anywhere, live off the land and you can have you mail forwarded to wherever you are. Now granted I have not done this since the 80s but not much has changed in that regard. Obamacare is your biggest issue to overcome now.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:46 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
I have seen people living in caves in 2 different countries. If you don't like it here, you do have the option of leaving.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:51 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,627,160 times
The OP asked what was allowed if children are involved.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:02 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Every time I hear an argument about welfare, poverty etc. I always think about this. People say "well, at least you have electricity, don't live in a shack with ten people, or poop in a hole". But then you actually try to live to the lowest standard possible, and you're met with a labyrinth of regulations essentially forcing you to take (and pay for) a "higher quality of life", though either higher rent (renting) or higher property cost/maintenance/tax (owning). A lot of places force you to be connected to the electrical grid. Even more complicated when you bring children in the mix. Being homeless is essentially illegal.

So, do you feel forced to take a certain quality of life? How much of this is fair and reasonable? Where do you prefer draw the line? I personally think sewage should be one to be regulated. But do you need heating in your Miami house to legally be able to support a child?
Very little of it is fair nor reasonable. But we've become a pansy a$$ society filled with people who make money from telling YOU how to raise your kids, and what THEY think is best for you. It's quite ridiculous.

As long as the children have someone looking out for them and providing them with basic needs and love , how you do it, should be no business of others.

As for sewage being regulated...sure, if you're living in town or city
Outhouses have been used for years for those who don't, and they do the job just fine.
I wouldn't live in a place that forced me to be connected to an electrical grid...

Old 06-30-2016, 02:36 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,001,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Very little of it is fair nor reasonable. But we've become a pansy a$$ society filled with people who make money from telling YOU how to raise your kids, and what THEY think is best for you. It's quite ridiculous.

As long as the children have someone looking out for them and providing them with basic needs and love , how you do it, should be no business of others.

As for sewage being regulated...sure, if you're living in town or city
Outhouses have been used for years for those who don't, and they do the job just fine.
I wouldn't live in a place that forced me to be connected to an electrical grid...
Agreed. When I said "sewage regulation", I meant that building code should have a simple-but-proper code for things such as an outhouse. Shouldn't be difficult at all. But you know, they like to over-complicate things.

Thing is, economic realities (job location) may indeed force you to live inside of an area with enforced electrical grid compliance. Yay.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:39 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Every morning on my way to work I pass quite a few folks that live in tents and one that sleeps in sleeping bag and uses umbrella for roof. I do not really believe they were "forced" into doing this - or doing otherwise. Pretty much, it's your choice.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:24 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:

Have you ever been to Appalachia? I have. Unheated 1960's trailers or tarpaper-roofed shacks with an 80-year old wood stove, a standpipe well for water, a pump at the kitchen sink, bathtub outside near the well, outhouses, power only if the bill has been paid. And often, plenty of kids around, with pets to boot. No pressure from "civilized" society if that's how most around you live.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:24 PM

366 posts, read 493,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Have you ever been to Appalachia? I have. Unheated 1960's trailers or tarpaper-roofed shacks with an 80-year old wood stove, a standpipe well for water, a pump at the kitchen sink, bathtub outside near the well, outhouses, power only if the bill has been paid. And often, plenty of kids around, with pets to boot. No pressure from "civilized" society if that's how most around you live.
Let me just add a little personal experience. Pride, fierce pride in those areas. They don't like being beholding to anyone. They tend to refuse charity even little things like a cold bottle of soda on a hot day for the kids.

I find them admirable people.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:08 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
Quote:

The only time these conditions are "forced" on anyone is if they choose to live in an urban area. If you expect city services, then they expect you to maintain a bare minimum, including requirements to meet basic human safety standards (sanitation, electricity for food storage, etc.).

So move to a rural area, buy an acre of land for a few hundred dollars, and sleep in a mudhole if you want. But don't expect society to pay your hospital bills when you catch pneumonia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates