Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 11:58 AM

806 posts, read 876,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Maybe you don't, but: Polonian Organizations in the U.S. State by State

That's about 5 dozen Polish-American organizations.

Oops.

But never used in a political context . Just like Italian Americans , Irish Americans , and on and on . The only hyphen American title that is ever used " officially " is African - American and that is mainly for political purposes . None of the others are ever given any credibility .

Old 07-02-2016, 12:01 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
First of all, this may sound like an absurd statement. But I challenge people who believe this shouldn't be the case. "Black" and "White" are not so much racial terms, but political terms. As the term "black" and "white" does not really allude to a biological reality, but more of a social reality. The term "black" is an American only term, and it was only meant to describe people of African descent who are the offsprings of freed slaves. It does and can only exist within the social context of the USA.

Because many Americans have retroactively tried to amend this basically political classification in some historical and anthropological context, many have now deemed Africa as a "black continent". However this is not true as more than just dark skinned people have made their homes in Africa. And even historically not all of Africa have had people with darker skin.

What this means is that in terms of who is actually black, only the descendants of a "freed" slave in the USA is actually black. This mean Afro-Latinos cannot also be considered black.

You will notice that America is not at war with "blackness" as much as it's in war with "freed slaves". Notice that African immigrants do not necessarily report the same social marginalization that black people born in America receive. so this is a war on he culture of "black Americans" more so than it is a war against "Africanism".
I think we should spend less time worrying about people's skin color and more time wondering why so many of our esteemed politicians are so quick to abandoned principles for political reasons? Or for money? Or votes?

I mean, people who have descended from Africa have dark skin. There is a biological reason for this. It's the sun. Darker skin protects them from more serious skin damage. It's a trait that wasn't all to necessary in Europe, where the sun just isn't as problematic or always present. Based on statistics alone, people of African decent often have lower IQs. But what does all that mean? Really, nothing more than black people tend to have lower IQs and that their skin is darker because their ancestors had a need for darker skin because of the sun. Does my saying this make me racist? I don't think so. Do those things justify racism? Absolutely not.

I don't just people by their IQs. There's no real reason to. And even so, statistical trends only mean that statistically, this is the tend (derp). There are black people way smarter than white people. Statistically, most white people are smarter than most black people, but that alone only means so much. It doesn't mean black people should have fewer rights. It doesn't mean black people should be mistreated. Race isn't entirely just a social construct, but all of the significants that we give it is.

So, I don't think it matters what "black" means. I do think it matters that some people think it's a bad thing.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:50 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
so using the op logic , I can claim that I am not white, since i wasnt born in united state and the term black and white is only an american term. I was this color before I arrived, so it doesnt apply to me. Soooooo since it doesnt apply to me, any problems with race bewtenn balck and white are not my problem. so handle it, leave me alone, not my problem.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:49 PM

341 posts, read 265,798 times
The OP's logic is flawed black and white arent american terms only

Old 07-02-2016, 03:32 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
But never used in a political context . Just like Italian Americans , Irish Americans , and on and on . The only hyphen American title that is ever used " officially " is African - American and that is mainly for political purposes . None of the others are ever given any credibility .
Since you now want to change the target, it's useless having a conversation with you.

First you address the concept of Polissh-American and deny it happens, then when I point it out to you, you try to add in "political purposes".

Bye.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:46 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Please,Everyone from the ancient Arabs to the Portuguese called African people black.
Africa is largely made up of black people,do people have to take a grand tour of Africa before they are entitled to call someone black,I am mixed race,call me black all you like.
It alludes to the colour of their skin and the colour of their skin connects to their genomic and biological reality.
The term black is a common term. I don't doubt that other people in history have used the term. But if you see a modern day Africa use the term, it is taking context from America's use of it. It is the Black American that inspires the African. It is the black American they try to emulate.

The term "Black" is a social term, and it alludes to a certain culture. It's a biologically dishonest term, but people keep trying to tie some sort of biological reality to it. There is none. This is why so-called mixed raced, or even people who are super light can still be called "black". The term black has always been used a a tool for marginalization. It has always been a term for the struggle against an undesired class "black" vs a desirable class "white".

Now think about this. A white is walking to his car at night. He sees a black guy come up to him. The black guy speaks and has a foreign accent. Do you think the white guy is still as scared or not? In is mind, this person is African, not actually black. At least subconciously he makes this distinction, even if he's not completely aware of it.

This is why an African cannot really be black. The distinction has already been made in the mind of most people.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:48 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
so using the op logic , I can claim that I am not white, since i wasnt born in united state and the term black and white is only an american term. I was this color before I arrived, so it doesnt apply to me. Soooooo since it doesnt apply to me, any problems with race bewtenn balck and white are not my problem. so handle it, leave me alone, not my problem.

Actually it isn't you problem, and no one has tried to make it your problem. It has nothing to do with people who are "white" or people who are "black". It has to do with the US government's arbitrary classifiers.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:42 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times
I have already explained that black skin connects to their genomic reality,to the markers in their dna.
The term Black is also a historical reality that they cannot be divorced from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
The term black is a common term. I don't doubt that other people in history have used the term. But if you see a modern day Africa use the term, it is taking context from America's use of it. It is the Black American that inspires the African. It is the black American they try to emulate.

The term "Black" is a social term, and it alludes to a certain culture. It's a biologically dishonest term, but people keep trying to tie some sort of biological reality to it. There is none. This is why so-called mixed raced, or even people who are super light can still be called "black". The term black has always been used a a tool for marginalization. It has always been a term for the struggle against an undesired class "black" vs a desirable class "white".

Now think about this. A white is walking to his car at night. He sees a black guy come up to him. The black guy speaks and has a foreign accent. Do you think the white guy is still as scared or not? In is mind, this person is African, not actually black. At least subconciously he makes this distinction, even if he's not completely aware of it.

This is why an African cannot really be black. The distinction has already been made in the mind of most people.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:51 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
From what someone has told me,before Europeans came to Africa,the natives had no concept that they were black until white people told them they were.

Just like Native Americans had no concept they were "Native Americans" until Europeans told them so.

For example,an Igbo and a Yoruba do not think of themselves as the same people regardless of the fact both are black in skin color,and live in the same country-Nigeria.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:53 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
Give me a break with these damn semantics. Black and negro are designations given to a race of people. Language was made to help people identify things and beings when conveying a message with words. What word would you find more appropriate? Do you find the terms White and Asian appropriate for identifying people of the other two races? What terms are appropriate, caucasoid or mongoloid perhaps? Aryan or Indo-European for whites or Oriental for Asians? Do tell Mr. Microaggression.

War? What was have sane American citizens waged on "blackness". Considering the amount of black entertainers, black celebrities, black entrepreneurs, black politicians, a black president, and the god knows how many ordinary blacks I have worked with in healthcare and rubbed elbows with my whole life (nurses, doctors, engineers, maintenance people, CNA's, secretaries, security guards, bus drivers, barbers, professors, and so on), just who the hell is waging war on American blackness?

Yes, some of these people are immigrants. And the ones what have and do confide in me state the reason for their contempt for their black cousins is because American blacks lead lives that they do not want to emulate--lives with no initiative, no employment, no ambition, neglect of children, crime, foul behavior, addiction to rap and other entertainment with content that reinforces such bad characteristics and even boasts of them, bad manners, bad health, bad appearances, and so on!

The reason why people designate Africa as a black continent is because indigenous Africans are black, even though there are whites and Asians that have made their homes there in large numbers, especially the French, Dutch, British, and Germans. The same goes for Europe being a white man's continent considering its indigenous inhabitants.

These are racial terms considering they have been coined to identify people of the different races! I believe usually those who are offended by these terms are those who are obsessed with having personal grievances and those who are obsessed with those who feel inferior or victimized or perhaps feel that way themselves.

You are wrong.

You do know black people exists elsewhere in Micronesia and Australia right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates