Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2016, 09:34 AM

36,522 posts, read 30,847,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
In matters of psychological health, an anonymous internet poster's opinion should always carry more weight than the published works of a Columbia psychology professor.
Yeah, works based on "studying" the top 1% of COLLEGE STUDENTS in 1943 which is also criticized by published psychologists.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:43 AM

29,743 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
A professor who just so happens to be male.

I guarantee you that sex is *not* needed for day to day survival. I should know since I've voluntarily lived without it for a decade now (whereas I previously had plenty of it). I don't need it and I don't miss it. Sex is needed for the general survival of humanity only. Of course a male professor with blue balls is going to proclaim that we need sex to survive day to day.
It's been a while since I took psychology, but the sex need on Maslow's hierarchy was referring to an overall global need for sex to provide healthy offspring to perpetuate the species, not that an individual will wither and die if they don't get laid.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:19 AM

706 posts, read 757,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's been a while since I took psychology, but the sex need on Maslow's hierarchy was referring to an overall global need for sex to provide healthy offspring to perpetuate the species, not that an individual will wither and die if they don't get laid.
Exactly. That's what it *should* mean, but then some people take it differently. We need sex to keep the species alive--we don't "need" it to actually survive day to day.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:28 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,480,798 times
In modern western society, neither. Difficulty in life is based more on ones unique experiences and challenges. Some people have it easier and others have it harder. Gender does come with unique challenges but both men and women have their advantages and disadvantages. I'd say things like age, disabilies, wealth, and even race have more extremes of better and worse than gender does. For example the difference between elderly poor who has no job and young poor who had no job are more extreme than a poor man a poor woman of equal age and ability. The difference between a mentally disabled woman and a woman who is not is more extreme than the difference between a man and woman. The difference between a millionaire man and a homeless man is more extreme than the difference between a millionaire man and woman. Recent events show is that the difference between being a black man being stopped by the police bs a white man stopped by the police is more extreme than a man and woman being stopped.

Last edited by BellaLind; 07-18-2016 at 02:38 PM..

Old 07-18-2016, 03:22 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
It's a question of perspective. Our culture (academia, the media, advertising, etc.) has fashioned a narrative which praises women for everything from breathing to wearing purple and mocks and blames men for the slightest hint of getting out of line, i.e., acting like men. The old days of the schoolgirls tattling and being praised by Miss Grundy, while the boys are punished for fidgeting and being clumsy have expanded to encompass our entire society.

Woman having it tough? Blame a man. Or men. You'll be a hero, girlfriend!

Last edited by Yeledaf; 07-18-2016 at 03:38 PM..

Old 07-19-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
It's a question of perspective. Our culture (academia, the media, advertising, etc.) has fashioned a narrative which praises women for everything from breathing to wearing purple and mocks and blames men for the slightest hint of getting out of line, i.e., acting like men. The old days of the schoolgirls tattling and being praised by Miss Grundy, while the boys are punished for fidgeting and being clumsy have expanded to encompass our entire society.

Woman having it tough? Blame a man. Or men. You'll be a hero, girlfriend!
I have not seen this. Could you share some specific examples from academia and the media?

Old 07-19-2016, 12:13 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Huh?
I never got to choose.
You mean I could have just picked out any attractive man I wanted and he would have to marry me and get a very good job so he could afford to pay the mortgage and all the utilities, car payments, gas, groceries, etc. and he would never become an alcoholic or gamble or be verbally or physically abusive, or controlling never lose his job or quit, or leave me or sleep with other women and he would always treat me with love and respect and take care of me for ever and ever even after he is dead so I could be home all day by myself using modern appliances and heating up frozen dinners waiting for him to return home each and every day for 30 years?
I dont think I got the memo.
Ha, right. I'm going to go date a famous singer now because I have the privilege to being a woman you know. *cue dream sequence*
me: hi will you go out with me?
*bodyguard throws me out*

Also what if I don't want to be a housewife? Women have to deal with if they are pregnant being discriminated against for a job on top of any other reasons an employer would discriminate a person for and pregnancy isn't something you can hide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Much easier to be a woman. They really aren't expected to work and people are more willing to help them. A good example, would be having your car break down on the side of the road. People are more willing to stop for a woman. Throughout human history, men have always been willing to take in a wife and care for her--we hardly ever hear of women working and supporting 1, 2, 3+ men. Society in general, is just softer toward women.
Maybe in your scenario but not always.
Where was this help when I was out of college for 3 years? Until I found the appropriate agency and called myself, I didn't get even a coach. I just got told "just go to workforce" Even then I still didn't get an offer.
Where was this help when I was getting scammed out of almost 300 dollars? Even when I reported, nobody did anything about it.
Sure it's nice to have help when you need help lifting things but there should be more to that and men don't generally need help carrying things because they've got the muscularity. Whoopee wow someone opens a door for me. How about helping me with something that actually changes my life? As far as having your car break down, men tend to know more about auto mechanics than women. So when you think about it generally it's easier for a man because they don't NEED help. As a woman with typical stamina I don't like having to need help to carry things at times. It limits me with jobs too. Men have more options because they can work in many physical labor jobs..construction for example is a prevalent job. I'm not saying that there aren't strong women out there of course but many of us women don't have the body to be built for that sort of thing. What can also bring your stamina down is the "balloons" If they're big enough they'll weigh you down and cause back pain.
Not to mention even if men are more willing to help a woman, women aren't necessarily more willing to help another woman. Women can be quite catty to each other. Also even if men are more willing to help, they are also more likely to take advantage of women because they see her as an easy target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Getting PMS: You can get natural remedies or medication to help with that
Getting pregnant: You can prevent that
The pain of beauty: I'm not sure what part of beauty is painful and you are not required to wear anything besides your natural skin
Being stalked and stared at for no reason: Men go through the same thing daily.

Live how you want to live, wear what you want to wear and quit whining if you choose what society deems appropriate over what is actually true.

*I am a woman and I can pp standing up just like a man*

Yes you can prevent it but it's not easy and no contraception is 100 percent effective. It's too easy to be pregnant. Look at our choices for preventing pregnancy:
shot= side effects
BC pill= have to be perfectly consistent in taking them everyday..also has a risk of side effects
condoms= have you ever had sex with a condom? it f'in hurts and makes it hard to find the spot
IUD= has to be implemented inside...only a doctor can remove it. I'm not even comfortable with a doc putting one of those medical devices down there to check things or even their finger let alone a device like that
Tubes tied= permanency
emergency pill= there's a reason why it's called emergency pill

PMS: don't believe in medication. tried natural remedies. still get cramps.
periods would be fun in a job interview especially. can you imagine? *employer smells blood or sees leak on seat* *assumes woman can't take care of herself* *in mind* NEXT!
of course job interviews are always judgy enough that just adds to it.

Probly shaving body hair. I only have to worry about my pits but it's enough. Sure you don't HAVE to shave them but as a woman you don't generally want it there...easier to smell of sweat for one and women are expected to smell nicer than men.

Yes but is that man going to question "is this person going to violate my body?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Women do not have it easy. They are constantly judging and being judged by other women. They have to deal with invasive doctor visits regularly (mammograms and gynecological exams). They have to deal with periods, then menopause. They have to constantly worry about everything including reputation. They have to bear the pain of child birth. They have to deal with rude/aggressive men trying to pick them up and comment about their bodies. They have to constantly be aware of their surroundings as women are targeted by men. They are not taken seriously by mechanics and contractors. They metabolize food differently and weight gets put on easily so they have to worry about dieting as well.
Those exams hurt like hell. I find at least for me having female organs make me more sensitive to pain/discomfort. You so much as touch for a few seconds down there I'll be yelling "ow" It's just as bad as a man getting kicked in the balls but in a different way because it feels so invasive. I think part of the reason it would be more invasive is because our sexual organs are inside of us. A man's are more external.
Don't forget we are also a lot more likely to develop UTIs. As a person with two already this year that's always fun. It's either a UTI or a yeast infection that "surprises" you one day. That alone proves the inner workings are more sensitive.

In conclusion, men mostly have it easier in the way their body is designed but I know some of the other factors can vary. With that, there are some women who are lucky in life. I've just never been one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwilliamsxxx View Post
For those women who dont think they got it easier do this test(I dont condome)slap a man,and the man has well take it like a man or walk away,but if a man slaps you?Well hell breaks loose remeber society can see the woman as a victim but not a man,he cant be seen as a victim we joke about it.And the laws defintely favor a woman
But if I went into my ex's house and grabbed his wallet because he owed me money, would I get off scot free because I'm a woman?

As far as the slapping thing I can maybe see that but this is because as I said up there, women do not do as much physical damage. If I slap a man unless he was a big baby he probably wouldnt even feel it and if he had the type of personality to hit me not caring that I was a woman he'd easily put me in the hospital. Sure women do fight dirty but usually it's to other women. It's more hair pulling than punching.
Why do you think there are more men in MMA than women?

Last edited by Nickchick; 07-19-2016 at 12:26 PM..

Old 07-19-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Of course women have it easier,they got the courts and can use their looks/body to make money!
You are saying its an easy life being a prostitute? There are male prostitutes as well. Many men pay to have sex with young men.
I dont understand what you mean by women go the courts. The court system serves all citizens and non citizens regardless of gender. Male judges outnumber female judges by about 2/3.

Quote:
For those women who dont think they got it easier do this test(I dont condome)slap a man,and the man has well take it like a man or walk away,but if a man slaps you?Well hell breaks loose remeber society can see the woman as a victim but not a man,he cant be seen as a victim we joke about it.And the laws defintely favor a woman
So its easier to be a female prostitute so you can walk up and slap some random man? But a woman can be charged with assault the same as a man.
Have you looked at statistics on assault, domestic violence and rape?

Quote:
And many women are encouraged to be "indepedent" and dont need a man!Oprah is an example,and its good if a woman checks a man,but if a man does it,well he is putting her down.Gender bias?Yes?
Why wouldn't any person be encouraged to be independent? The fact that you single women out indicated that men have always been encouraged to be independent so I dont understand the argument here. Oprah, really?

Quote:
Because their were born a man,it made their life harder but they want to become a female to make their life easier,so is it harder or easier?Its harder for them due to they were born a man(keyword born a male).But if nobody knows they were born a man,they have it easier as a female.
Or perhaps they (they were not their) were born a woman in a man's body. I dont see that any transgender person has it easy.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:30 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You are saying its an easy life being a prostitute?
In desperation I have thought of being one but I'm sure it just opens you up to a cesspool of nasty men who are ready to take advantage of you.
In theory it is easy to make money that way but not easy on your emotional wellbeing at the very least. Even if a man doesn't take advantage, you might think one day that sex is all you're good for.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:32 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwali2009 View Post
I say yes,look at the court systems and the homeless shelters(favor woman) so really men have it harder.
I'm late to the thread, but I just can't get over the original premise. As I understand it, because a certain segment of society is so disadvantaged they get special treatment in certain areas (i.e., more women than men get beaten to a bloody pulp by their partners, so more homeless shelters work to protect women), you are claiming that it is easier being a woman than being a man?

Is that seriously what you are saying, or am I mis-reading the question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates