U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 12:00 PM

128 posts, read 83,449 times

Advertisements

[quote=saibot;44626175]Um, that old adage is the other way around.

Oopsy,... My bad.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:01 PM

706 posts, read 396,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwali2009 View Post
True and a woman can also earn FREE money without work=pregnacy and child support.
Um, no. Not always. Do you realize how many dead-beat dads are in this world? Those guys are definitely *not* paying child support, and the burden of raising the child is left to the woman. So they not only had to go through the pain of pregnancy and childbirth--which no man will ever have to experience--but then they also have to carry the entire financial burden on their shoulders until the child comes of age to leave the house, unless they get help from welfare.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:24 PM

3,482 posts, read 1,421,928 times
Default Is anatomy destiny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Define "easier."
It's a moot point because if you're a man you don't know what it's like to be a woman and vice versa.
How about this... life is hard... man, woman, or other.
Yep. There's only been (TMK) a handful of people who have been on both sides of this question. Christine Jorgenson, Bruce Jenner in mid-flight, & a few others. They can hold forth with some authority on the pros & cons, I suppose.

But we're not @ the point of Science Fiction, where bioengineering & biosculpting & all the underlying endocrinal, CNS, skeletal & etc. changes can be made to order & relatively painlessly & @ little financial cost; psychological evaluations are 100% & the whole process can just as easily be completely reversed, with full functionality, with no ill aftereffects. We may get there someday, & maybe (maybe!) @ that point I'll give the question some consideration.

In the meantime, other than as some kind of thought experiment, it's exactly a moot point. Get the actual direct participants in here & talking about their experiences, if we really want to know.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:45 PM

285 posts, read 148,563 times
I'm a trans-man so I can answer this a bit accurately. (Born female).

No. It actually isn't. When it comes to children and finances after a divorce, yes. It's significantly easier to be a female. But otherwise it is kind of a pure hell at times.

I began living full time (please google 'full time ftm transitioning' for more info) two years ago and I swear my life has been nothing but easy. As a male I have less fear walking alone at night, being sexually assaulted, or having to deal with sexual harassment. I have actually have NO issues with sexual harassment since I started, as opposed to "catching" (and I quote that because they dont care and smile back) guys checking me out creepily.

As female, walking alone at night where I live now would have been suicide. I've NEVER seen a girl walking alone out here. It's a college town though and with lots of bars which means lots of drunk dudes waltzing around the place. As a female I couldn't risk walking around in MPLS like I used to at night. I would carry a knife, pepper spray, AND have a rape whistle at the ready. Had to spray and blow my whistle on an all too friendly homeless dude once, who decided to try copping a feel and then grabbing me when I tried leaving. Luckily a group of women at the bus stop heard and started running towards the sound, so I was safe. I was 14 and this dude looked to be around late 30s and drunk. Stupid me had in earbuds and didn't hear him clearly stumbling towards me. This was not the last time I had to do this but my first time actually scared as hell.

Speaking of that, no earbuds at night if you're alone. In fact walking home I rarely listened to music, walked alone, walked in dark areas, through alleyways, talked to guys who I don't know (even if they seemed genuinely nice you better be obviously gay), talked to guys I did know and knew were older than me/just bad, walked without the knife/pepper spray/and rape whistle, usually wore shoes that would hurt your ballsack until next year, and made sure to look as intimidating as possible to avoid an encounter. And this all happened in Minneapolis and Chicago. If I were out with friends, I would both never put my drink down, finish it at once, or make sure it was right in front of me so I could see it 24/7. If I had to put it down, I sure as hell never picked it back up.

As a dude I can do all of that. I don't worry as much. I just worry about getting mugged. I've started testosterone (look up 'ftm t injections' if youre curious as to wtf I am talking about) and look a lot more masculine that before. I already passed before, now it's no question. I only worry about getting mugged and beaten for whatever reasons. I don't worry about getting drugged as much, raped at all, or dealing with creepers who cat call and like feeling up just because. I can look how I want when I want and not be called a ****, *****, or "covered up prude/nun" for actually dressing modestly. I don't have to worry about my shoulders showing and being kicked out of school until I can change (which happens at my old high school btw!). I actually played around and sagged for a month straight, everyday, to see if the school was being bias towards females only or equal. Told to pull my pants up a total five times. My friend tried to help and wore tank top and shorts and but lasted for two days before being dress coded to the max and threatened with expulsion for "inappropriate conduct and appearance" (yet I sagged so damn low I was actually having issues walking daily).

So legally, I had slightly more protections as a female. But realistically, with everything else, it was hell. Being told by everyone else how I should dress, act, watch, look, who to like/date/marry and why, how many kids I am having (not should because as a female "you have maternal instincts/needs that are natural you should want kids"), and what jobs/careers I should go for because it's appropriate for a woman. As a man? Just don't hit a girl or child, don't do drugs, don't go to jail... You know, common sense rules and I'm good.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:32 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,016,534 times
100% easier!
A woman just has to be pretty (and sometimes not even pretty) and there will be a man out there willing to support her. She doesn't need to work because he will be willing to provide for her.

And also, we live in a very child-centric society. A single man who has hit rock bottom financially will simply be told to "get a job!!!" while a single woman with children who has hit rock bottom financially will have several government-sponsored resources available to her. Which of course is biased and ridiculous. Just because you are a man does not mean you are not a person in need.

You also see it see in little trivial every day things: people will hold a door open for a woman, or step out of the way to let her pass, or store personnel will carry something out to her car. You don't see any of that happen for men.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:32 PM

415 posts, read 162,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
So they not only had to go through the pain of pregnancy and childbirth--which no man will ever have to experience
I've been told by women that pregnancy and childbirth is a wonderful, joyful experience they would never give away. That it strengthens the bond between mother and child, and they pity that men will never know what it's like.

So... how horrible could it be (in our time of modern medicine) if women continue to give birth to children so freely? How do children even have siblings if giving birth was as awful and horrible as SOME people make it out to be?

Old 07-03-2016, 02:23 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,992,930 times
I loved being able to take a whiz while standing up. Unfortunately as I am approaching 70 and Diabetes is taking its toll, I know now what a pain it is to have to sit to do your business. Oh well it was great while it lasted LOL.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:36 PM

352 posts, read 123,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
100% easier!
A woman just has to be pretty (and sometimes not even pretty) and there will be a man out there willing to support her. She doesn't need to work because he will be willing to provide for her.

And also, we live in a very child-centric society. A single man who has hit rock bottom financially will simply be told to "get a job!!!" while a single woman with children who has hit rock bottom financially will have several government-sponsored resources available to her. Which of course is biased and ridiculous. Just because you are a man does not mean you are not a person in need.

You also see it see in little trivial every day things: people will hold a door open for a woman, or step out of the way to let her pass, or store personnel will carry something out to her car. You don't see any of that happen for men.
sorry I have to disagree with you here. There are tons of pretty single moms that has to work at least 2 jobs to support her children. The days where a man is willing to support are gone

to OP: if you try any of the following:

- Getting PMS
- Getting pregnant
- Wearing high heels
- The pain of beauty (will not explain here)
- Being stalked and stared at for no reason
- Not enjoying small things like a man - a woman cannot wear what she wants any time a day like a man.

you will realize women life is very difficult. I wish if I was born a man

Old 07-03-2016, 02:39 PM

352 posts, read 123,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefrogs View Post
I would say being a man is easier than being a woman.
MAN
-has fewer clothing options (so economically, you can save a buck or two)
-has higher earning power (because there is a good old boys club, but no good old female clubs)
-does not have biological timeline like women and they are not judged as harshly for being a bachelor
(women are called spinsters, cat people, or maids)
-have more leadership positions ('cause women in power are judged for everything- HILARY- see how they refer to her by her first name and not last)
-does not have to worry about sexual predators as much as women
-are considered superior to women in many countries
-have an express line to use the bathroom (have you seen the lines for women's restrooms?!)
-are not judged as harshly as caretakers - (absent father vs. absent mother)
your comment is kind of accurate; especially about the good old boys club, and being judged

Old 07-03-2016, 02:49 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,816,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose88 View Post
sorry I have to disagree with you here. There are tons of pretty single moms that has to work at least 2 jobs to support her children. The days where a man is willing to support are gone

to OP: if you try any of the following:

- Getting PMS
- Getting pregnant
- Wearing high heels
- The pain of beauty (will not explain here)
- Being stalked and stared at for no reason
- Not enjoying small things like a man - a woman cannot wear what she wants any time a day like a man.

you will realize women life is very difficult. I wish if I was born a man

Getting PMS: You can get natural remedies or medication to help with that
Getting pregnant: You can prevent that
Wearing high heels: You are not required to wear high heels
The pain of beauty: I'm not sure what part of beauty is painful and you are not required to wear anything besides your natural skin
Being stalked and stared at for no reason: Men go through the same thing daily.
Not enjoying small thing like a man - a woman cannot wear what she wants any time a day like a man:
What small things exactly are you talking about?
A woman can wear anything she wants any time a day she wants just like a man, the issue lies within the fact that women have been told and believe what the fashion designers and other *professionals* as well as their Mother (maybe) that they have to do speciific things to be accepted which is utter BS.

Live how you want to live, wear what you want to wear and quit whining if you choose what society deems appropriate over what is actually true.

*I am a woman and I can pp standing up just like a man*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or