Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 03:25 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,324 times

Advertisements

I've always disliked children.

Even when I was a child, my friends and I avoided anyone younger if possible.

And we fought with each other like kids.

No reason to change now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 03:40 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
How is replying "I just don't like them" when pressed for a reason "unkind"...?
Because it is nasty. Because it expresses a value judgment that is irrational. Because it is a typical cowardly passive-aggressive way of stating that you don't like the values of the other person, or anyone else for that matter, who probably does like kids. Because it's sourpussed and bitter and unhappy and malcontented and curmudgeonly and trailer-park trashy and just plain rude and low class. It's something you'd expect from a string-haired beak-nosed socially crippled broken down biddy seen talking to herself after being ejected from some godforsaken Walmart in Dubuque.

I would even say that disliking kids is a displaced form of self-hatred. If one dislikes kids, what are they really disliking Young human beings who have not fully developed? No. It is the innocence and eagerness that they represent. Features that are completely gone from kid-unfriendly people. Kids shine a mirror of loss in such people, and the reflection generates vitriol. The reminder of what has been lost is what is resented, not the kid per se.

This is a fascinating topic, because the truths that underpin it are not immediately obvious. But there they lurk, beneath the surface, and it may be quite uncomfortable for some people to entertain considering the real cause of their negativity towards children, or dogs, or any other innocent and undamaged creatures.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 07-06-2016 at 03:54 PM..

Old 07-06-2016, 03:44 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
People are quite irrational when it comes to their love of children. Yet another reason to dislike them!

Old 07-06-2016, 03:45 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Because it is nasty. Because it expresses a value judgment that is irrational. Because it is a typical cowardly passive-aggressive way of stating that you don't like the values of the other person, or anyone else for that matter, who probably does like kids. Because it's sourpussed and bitter and unhappy and malcontented and curmudgeonly and trailer-park trashy and just plain rude and low class. It's something you'd expect from a string-haired beak-nosed socially crippled broken down biddy seen talking to herself after being ejected from some godforsaken Walmart in Dubuque.
Oooooooookaaaaaaaaaaay then.

I feel like you either missed everything else I wrote about actually liking kids and tossing that off as a way to deflect said irrational value judgements about my not having a biological clock... or you're being ironic by blatantly passing (very) bizarre irrational value judgements... I can't really tell which, but either way you're kinda freaking me out.

Last edited by Jenkay; 07-06-2016 at 03:56 PM..

Old 07-06-2016, 03:56 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Oooooooookaaaaaaaaaaay then.

I feel like you either missed everything else I wrote about actually liking kids and tossing that off as a way to deflect said irrational value judgements about my not having a biological clock... or you're being ironic by blatantly passing (very) bizarre irrational value judgements... I can't really tell which, but either way you're kinda freaking me out.

This is more of a general observation, not targeted at you personally. I am really probably reacting to people in my life who have said they hate kids. They are never happy or fulfilled people in my experience, in fact, quite the polar opposite.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:03 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The point I was making is that fifty years ago the norm was that "while I may not agree with what you are saying, I will defend your right to say it." Bosses and everyone else were more tolerant of free speech back then. I know that because I am 70 years old.
That totally depended on what you were saying. Everyone then and now had their flashpoints, and they are pretty much the same flashpoints. Politics, race, religion, sexuality, hairstyles--if you differed from your boss on any of those things and made a point of talking about it, he could and usually would fire you. But that was totally up to him--perhaps some would not. I got fired in 1968 when I decided to grow an Afro ("Are you one of those revolutionaries?").

I would not argue that it's any better or worse now for anyone.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:04 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
This is more of a general observation, not targeted at you personally. I am really probably reacting to people in my life who have said they hate kids. They are never happy or fulfilled people in my experience, in fact, quite the polar opposite.
Then perhaps you shouldn't be *specifically* replying to my posts with rants like that, because that certainly *does* imply that you're targeting me personally.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Children have only fairly recently attained their "special little snowflake" status in developed countries. In the "olden days" children were a means to an end and served a purpose, mostly to help the family make ends meet. They were used as farm labor, factory labor, in coal mines, etc. If they survived long enough, they were expected to be caregivers for their aged parents. Of course, the above only goes for the working class, the situation was entirely different for children from affluent families, just as it is today.
This may be a unique period. It's not hard to see the entitlement bubbles bursting and family generations once again depending on inter-generational support.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You may not get more actual money in a check, but with each new baby, you are allowed to remain on Welfare (receiving not just a check, but also all the attendant benefits -- free housing, medical care, transportation, utilities, food, etc. -- longer. Of course, you can remain on Welfare WITHOUT children, but you get more per household member.
Nope.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:25 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
If a person says they don't like a person of a certain race, he/she is a racist.
You don't like gays, you're a homophobe.
You don't like men or women, you're sexist.

But it's okay for someone to say they dislike or even hate children. I've never understood this.
Just wait, there will be a new term coined for people who don't like kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates