Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 06:13 PM

389 posts, read 330,232 times

Advertisements

I'm ok with younger kids. Lots of fun. Mid teens through late twenties - that is where the dislike is actually warranted. I wish I could legally keep them off my street. Except my own of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 06:17 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
People who don't like children and have no desire to have children are treated as if their way of life would be the end of human existence.
But, they are correct. If everyone was like you that would be the end of humans. Children are extremely important in all societies and obviously you cannot see it.

In any event evolution works by selecting the genes of those that have paternal or maternal instincts. That is why most people like children.

Putting down children may be seen as offensive. If I were you I would not say anything.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:45 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Then perhaps you shouldn't be *specifically* replying to my posts with rants like that, because that certainly *does* imply that you're targeting me personally.
Why so seriousssssssssssssssssssssssssss?

Old 07-06-2016, 06:48 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,495 times
Maybe since we were kids ourselves?

Old 07-06-2016, 08:10 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
Actually my wife and I don't like children and have no desire to have them. And when we tell people we don't want kids because we don't like them were are sometimes treated worse than a racist or a homophobic. Not liking kids put you in a much smaller minority of people than racists or homophobic and even a vast majority of racists and homophobic like children. People who dislike kids are the pariah of our society. People who dislike children don't hold rallies or have a political party dedicated to their views. People who dislike children don't get special rights or privileges granted to them by the Constitution of the United states. People who dislike children aren't tax exempt. People who don't like children and have no desire to have children are treated as if their way of life would be the end of human existence.
I hear ya, said the woman with no children by choice. I generally keep quiet about my feelings merely saying, "I'm not good with babies." That doesn't mean I "hate" children per se. But even if I did, they don't qualify as a minority group, so I'd hardly consider myself as prejudiced and worthy of scorn. They can't be a minority group because childhood is a state of being that is temporary. It's like saying people with suntans have turned into another race. No.

Just for the record, I also don't like adults who act like children.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:16 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
About half the people who have children, should never be allowed anywhere near children, let alone to have some of their own. If every want-to-be parent had to meet strict requirements and was scrutinized by experts who would reject the bad half, the over-population problem would be solved and many more of the children would be raised properly. They would become better adults and parents, themselves.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:16 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You may not get more actual money in a check, but with each new baby, you are allowed to remain on Welfare (receiving not just a check, but also all the attendant benefits -- free housing, medical care, transportation, utilities, food, etc. -- longer. Of course, you can remain on Welfare WITHOUT children, but you get more per household member.
Also false. Again, as part of the welfare reform act there is a maximum of 5 total years. No resetting the clock with new kids.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pers...pportunity_Act

Please stop spreading misinformation.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Because it is nasty. Because it expresses a value judgment that is irrational. Because it is a typical cowardly passive-aggressive way of stating that you don't like the values of the other person, or anyone else for that matter, who probably does like kids. Because it's sourpussed and bitter and unhappy and malcontented and curmudgeonly and trailer-park trashy and just plain rude and low class. It's something you'd expect from a string-haired beak-nosed socially crippled broken down biddy seen talking to herself after being ejected from some godforsaken Walmart in Dubuque.

I would even say that disliking kids is a displaced form of self-hatred. If one dislikes kids, what are they really disliking Young human beings who have not fully developed? No. It is the innocence and eagerness that they represent. Features that are completely gone from kid-unfriendly people. Kids shine a mirror of loss in such people, and the reflection generates vitriol. The reminder of what has been lost is what is resented, not the kid per se.

This is a fascinating topic, because the truths that underpin it are not immediately obvious. But there they lurk, beneath the surface, and it may be quite uncomfortable for some people to entertain considering the real cause of their negativity towards children, or dogs, or any other innocent and undamaged creatures.
Sort of hypocritical to whine about "value judgements" and then post a list of adjectives like the one above based on nothing more than a 4 word sentence and to label anyone who does hold that sentiment with some incredibly "nasty" terms.

Many people don't like certain age kids. I know many perfectly normal people who dislike infants (including some very good parents), others dislike teens or toddlers. As a teacher I wouldn't teach middle school aged (aka tweens) kids for ten times my salary. Why? I don't like them as a group. Generally speaking they are an annoying mixture of uncontrolled puberty, a need to try to act dependent while still being incapable of abstract reasoning. I am sure that makes you think I am whatever those adjectives are above, but it's not particularly true. Meanwhile I love working with teens, their optimism and passion to change whatever make them endlessly interesting as people.

And children are not inherently innocent. They lie, they cheat, they steal, they hit, they can be vicious, whatever. Let's not paint the halo quite so falsely bright. Now I am sure you want to paint me as the monster but keep in mind just because I acknowledge children for they are (and are not) it doesn't mean I hate them. In fact I like children quite a bit. They can be spontaneous, unjaded, original, unpretentious, kind, altruistic and just plain old fun to be around. But enough with pretending they are damn near saintly and that those that don't like them are monsters. People seem quite comfortable hating other age groups i.e. the millenials, or gen x, or whatever.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
About half the people who have children, should never be allowed anywhere near children, let alone to have some of their own. If every want-to-be parent had to meet strict requirements and was scrutinized by experts who would reject the bad half, the over-population problem would be solved and many more of the children would be raised properly. They would become better adults and parents, themselves.
Sounds somewhat like eugenics and just for the record humans have no ability to determine what is or is not the ideal anything for the species.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:38 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
If a person says they don't like a person of a certain race, he/she is a racist.
You don't like gays, you're a homophobe.
You don't like men or women, you're sexist.

But it's okay for someone to say they dislike or even hate children. I've never understood this.
Children are not a minority group.

Children consist of all races and genders.

Children will not be children forever.

Children are not born children. They are born infants, then become children, then will become adults. It's a passing phase, unlike a race.

Children act a certain way....which is what the person is referring to. For example, a child may blurt out "Why are you so fat?"

Children don't interact with adults the same way an adult interacts with other adults. So if one doesn't have children in his life, he may not be able to communicate with them very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates