Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 03:28 PM

379 posts, read 255,195 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't this be a good idea for lessening the actual or supposed wrongdoings to the black community by white police officers?

Thoughts?

Old 07-13-2016, 03:39 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
A better solution is don't police those neighborhoods. Step away and let BLM police the neighborhoods or the Black Panthers or build a wall around the neighborhoods and let everything sort itself out naturally

Old 07-13-2016, 04:26 PM

24,489 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Sure why not let only black officers patrol black neighborhoods and while we are at it why not allow muslims to bring in their own sharia law?

The law is the law and it is possible that a black cop might cut a black kid some slack if he is breaking the law but isn't that setting a precedent that is illegal? Imagine if the black thugs are allowed to get away with the same crime that a white thug doesn't ?

People have to be held accountable.

I think a black thugs see a black cop as a sell out, he is still "the man" so they still see them as the enemy.

We need diversity not segregation.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:51 PM

391 posts, read 290,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
Wouldn't this be a good idea for lessening the actual or supposed wrongdoings to the black community by white police officers?

Thoughts?
People (no matter the color) are not talking about "white officers". They are complaining of "police" killings in general. So your comment makes little sense.

I've looked at these killings over the years.

Many have the same story: Person doing something wrong or potentially wrong. Does not listen to instructions. Fights or runs from police. I'm not saying these people deserved to die for these actions. If you are pulled over, don't escalate the situation if you know you are right. And then some stories are just mistakes by the police (ie that kid in Cleveland). How to do "fix" things like that? Not sure you can fix human error.

Police need to make some changes, but heck, people need to make some bigger changes. There needs to be a new "street code" of knowing when to "give up" and put your hands up. Not fighting the police (I've personally seen this in New Orleans... people think that crap is cool. Until someone gets shot, then it is the police officer's fault. Really?).

Old 07-13-2016, 05:03 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat View Post
People (no matter the color) are not talking about "white officers". They are complaining of "police" killings in general. So your comment makes little sense.

I've looked at these killings over the years.

Many have the same story: Person doing something wrong or potentially wrong. Does not listen to instructions. Fights or runs from police. I'm not saying these people deserved to die for these actions. If you are pulled over, don't escalate the situation if you know you are right. And then some stories are just mistakes by the police (ie that kid in Cleveland). How to do "fix" things like that? Not sure you can fix human error.

Police need to make some changes, but heck, people need to make some bigger changes. There needs to be a new "street code" of knowing when to "give up" and put your hands up. Not fighting the police (I've personally seen this in New Orleans... people think that crap is cool. Until someone gets shot, then it is the police officer's fault. Really?).
Except the BLM crowd is making this specifically about white cops vs innocent black men

The important point that is overlooked (that you pointed out) is that in 99% of these cases the people getting shot by cops deserve to be shot by the cops. Now, is every single one of them guilty of a crime? Probably not. But in every video I see they are not following instructions, resisting and fighting. That last guy in Louisiana was on the ground wrestling with a cop when he got shot. What do people expect the cops to do in these situations? To take it a step further, most people who are doing absolutely nothing wrong are not even putting themselves into the position where they are having these interactions with police. The guy that got killed in MN had been pulled over 50+ times by police in 3 years and had $6000+ worth of tickets and fines against him. I have black friends and yes maybe they have gotten pulled over once or twice in their life under circumstances that might be profiling but they haven't gotten pulled over 50 times in 3 years or even in their lifetimes. People need to step back and realize people getting killed are not innocent choir boys. The world is going insane

Old 07-13-2016, 06:02 PM

758 posts, read 1,227,238 times
Black police officers won't make a difference, half of the officers indited in Baltimore were black...Maybe if the officers are
people the neighborhood knows maybe.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:04 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Except the BLM crowd is making this specifically about white cops vs innocent black men

The important point that is overlooked (that you pointed out) is that in 99% of these cases the people getting shot by cops deserve to be shot by the cops. Now, is every single one of them guilty of a crime? Probably not. But in every video I see they are not following instructions, resisting and fighting. That last guy in Louisiana was on the ground wrestling with a cop when he got shot. What do people expect the cops to do in these situations? To take it a step further, most people who are doing absolutely nothing wrong are not even putting themselves into the position where they are having these interactions with police. The guy that got killed in MN had been pulled over 50+ times by police in 3 years and had $6000+ worth of tickets and fines against him. I have black friends and yes maybe they have gotten pulled over once or twice in their life under circumstances that might be profiling but they haven't gotten pulled over 50 times in 3 years or even in their lifetimes. People need to step back and realize people getting killed are not innocent choir boys. The world is going insane
Being pulled over 50 times and having unpaid tickets is not a crime worthy of death, nor did the officer who shot him have any knowledge of that. Unpaid tickets was not the reason for killing Castile. What's insane is justifying killing a man who was licensed to have a weapon, announced he had it, and followed instruction for not being an "innocent choir boy." The police are neither judge nor jury, and they sure as heck aren't entitled to play executioner.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:15 PM

545 posts, read 594,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
A better solution is don't police those neighborhoods. Step away and let BLM police the neighborhoods or the Black Panthers or build a wall around the neighborhoods and let everything sort itself out naturally

I agree! Most white folks along with most Asians and Hispanics would welcome it too!

Old 07-13-2016, 08:20 PM

545 posts, read 594,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Sure why not let only black officers patrol black neighborhoods and while we are at it why not allow muslims to bring in their own sharia law?

The law is the law and it is possible that a black cop might cut a black kid some slack if he is breaking the law but isn't that setting a precedent that is illegal? Imagine if the black thugs are allowed to get away with the same crime that a white thug doesn't ?

People have to be held accountable.

I think a black thugs see a black cop as a sell out, he is still "the man" so they still see them as the enemy.

We need diversity not segregation.
Diversity is not an anathema to crime....some of the most "Diverse" societies on the plant are crime ridden and violent and some of the most homogenous like Japan, Denmark, and Iceland are least crime ridden and violent!

Old 07-13-2016, 09:24 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,770 times
From the Sticky at the top of this forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
When you start a thread, in theory, it should state a premise and then ask for arguments from those who are "for" and those who are "against" that premise. This is basic debate "101."

What you should try NOT to do is to state a premise and ask for "opinions." What this does, right off the bat, is to scatter the responses in many different directions. The thread then has a much greater chance of sprouting conversations that go off on a tangent that could pull the topic away from the premise initially stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates