Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 09:52 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,622,417 times

Advertisements

It's probably only considered wrong by some religious people. The same ones who insist suicide or assisted suicide is a sin, and even the terminally ill who are in pain should suffer until the lord decides to call them home. But those same people have absolutely no problem with undergoing life-extending medical procedures that prevent the lord from calling them home just yet.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:17 PM

4,857 posts, read 5,766,771 times
I don't see why it's a big deal, or the facination with not dying, that oir gov't has. Last ai checked, my life is mine, and ai should be able to do eith it as I please, and at the current rate the world is going, I'm sure I would pass off immortality if it ever became a real thing.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:42 PM

326 posts, read 180,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes it seems like they are FORCING everyone to stay here....... In a place they might not wanna be!

Then why did they come here in the first place? When life gets hard you need to stand your ground and tough through it. Don't take the easy way out like committing suicide just because you can't handle what life throws at you.Thats a bit pathetic if you ask me. You should seek a therapist before you even try anything because their there to help you.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:44 PM

1,884 posts, read 985,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Checker View Post
Then why did they come here in the first place? When life gets hard you need to stand your ground and tough through it. Don't take the easy way out like committing suicide just because you can't handle what life throws at you.Thats a bit pathetic if you ask me. You should seek a therapist before you even try anything because their there to help you.
Why "should" they? Because you think it's pathetic?

Old 07-17-2016, 11:57 PM

706 posts, read 749,765 times
Quote:
From personal experience, counselors and pharma drugs did nothing to help me out of my despair. It was worth a try, I guess, but it didn't help. The only thing that kept me here is the responsibility I've created for myself by having a child, and knowing now that I need to be here to learn certain things about this reality. It was much easier to dip into despair and depression before I "woke up" and grew up. I attempted suicide a few times in my younger days, but would never think of it now. It seems the youngest people are the most vulnerable to suicide that isn't well thought out.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:19 AM

32,752 posts, read 35,950,249 times
Quote:
Why did they come here? You seem to assume there's a choice. Maybe there isn't.

Take the easy way out... How many years does someone have to tough through an unwanted life before they're allowed to check out. Is five enough? Ten? How about fifteen? Then what?

Therapists are there to help you in the same way that an accountant or an attorney is there to help.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:57 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,449,216 times
"Physician-assisted suicide in the United States is legal in the states of California, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington. In Montana, the Baxter v. Montana (2009) court decision created a defense for a physician who is prosecuted should the physician be charged in assisting a suicide although prosecutions and convictions for assisted suicide remain possible in Montana. In New Mexico, a 2014 court decision permitting the practice in Bernalillo County was overturned on appeal.[1] There is legislation being considered in several states regarding the legality of assisted suicide."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assist..._United_States

I also wonder if the taboo is religious based. I have seena failed suicide attempt. A man tried to kill himself with a shotgun. Years later, his face is half gone and it is not pretty.

I think people should have a right to die. Especially those who are brain dead, or those who are end stage cancer that is incurable.

I don't believe people should be forded to "tough it out". I believe the young should have to undergo some counseling and/or psychotropic meds prior to taking their own life. That is just my opinion and I don't think anyone should have to live by my or anyone else's opinion.

Quote:
Then why did they come here in the first place?
LOL, not sure what you mean by why did they come here. Come where? You mean being born? Like they raised their hand and said I want to be born!

Old 07-18-2016, 06:10 AM

531 posts, read 380,902 times
Quote:
Therapists dont always solve the problem, and even though it sounds nice, things dont always get better. If someone doesnt want to live through a terrible life, then that should be their choice. They shouldnt have to struggle just so someone wont feel bad about them being gone.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:43 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,588,381 times
Most of them don't actually have a very good reason. Look at how many teenagers kill themselves because of bullying. Suicide is usually the result of extreme mental anguish, which is usually temporary, transitory and treatable.

Just think about how a person is way more likely to commit suicide if there's a gun in the house. That's a statement about how having an effective killing device makes suicides successful, and how being suicidal is not a death sentence, because many (probably most) people who have been suicidal in the past are now living fulfilling lives.

People with terminal illnesses and veterans with PTSD are a different story.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:48 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,588,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
From personal experience, counselors and pharma drugs did nothing to help me out of my despair. It was worth a try, I guess, but it didn't help. The only thing that kept me here is the responsibility I've created for myself by having a child, and knowing now that I need to be here to learn certain things about this reality. It was much easier to dip into despair and depression before I "woke up" and grew up. I attempted suicide a few times in my younger days, but would never think of it now. It seems the youngest people are the most vulnerable to suicide that isn't well thought out.
When you're a teenager or young adult everything seems to be the worst or best thing ever. Those extremes of emotion, combined with an undeveloped frontal lobe and their inexperience are what kills them. When I say inexperience I mean they've never been in a bad place and come through it before, some they don't really realise it can happen. I read an article talking about how you should share stories with your kids of financial hardship and overcoming it, and I think you should do the same with other hardships, so they can see that it gets better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates