Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 10:56 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post

LOL, not sure what you mean by why did they come here. Come where? You mean being born? Like they raised their hand and said I want to be born!

This is what I was thinking too. I'm not sure how someone would choose to come "here".

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
From personal experience, counselors and pharma drugs did nothing to help me out of my despair. It was worth a try, I guess, but it didn't help. The only thing that kept me here is the responsibility I've created for myself by having a child, and knowing now that I need to be here to learn certain things about this reality. It was much easier to dip into despair and depression before I "woke up" and grew up. I attempted suicide a few times in my younger days, but would never think of it now. It seems the youngest people are the most vulnerable to suicide that isn't well thought out.
Same here, much of the time a huge reason I was only here out of fear of the other side and worry for the few people that care about me (you also feel like a burden). I mean I love the concept of life so I hate the idea of not living anymore. However at the same time I have often hated mine and I can't just find another life to live so it's like you're stuck you know.

A good counselor helps to an extent but they don't fix the problems that plague you. It's not like they can flip a switch and say you're cured. In some sessions, I end up more depressed after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
As far as it being illegal, what would they do to a person about it--arrest them after they're dead? Lol. How ridiculous to even make it illegal.
That was literally my first thought and even if they fail at it they are likely to have severe health problems so they are already suffering in the hospital anyway so what's the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I can see wanting to die if you have a incurable disease, etc. But wanting to die because you believe that life is too hard is just insane. Even having a incurable disease shouldn't mean that you can pick up a gun and blow your head off though, or slit your wrist. I've always believed that one should have the right to die IF one want's too but only if there is no other choice. I don't think some doctor or said government should be able to tell you no if you want the right to die. This is a personal choice not up to someone else.
I kinda agree with you though I don't think most suicidal people believe that life is just too hard. They have reached a point where life is not just hard but it is unbearable. It might just be me but I've always had a hard life and it was only at the breaking point where I even entertained the idea. You don't have to have an incurable disease to feel this way. When compiled with enough mental anguish it can be like an incurable disease. The only difference is it is a disease of the mind. Depression can be an incurable disease.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:04 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Quote, attribution unknown: "I am comforted by the availability of suicide."

My life, my choice.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:32 PM

706 posts, read 757,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
When you're a teenager or young adult everything seems to be the worst or best thing ever. Those extremes of emotion, combined with an undeveloped frontal lobe and their inexperience are what kills them. When I say inexperience I mean they've never been in a bad place and come through it before, some they don't really realise it can happen. I read an article talking about how you should share stories with your kids of financial hardship and overcoming it, and I think you should do the same with other hardships, so they can see that it gets better.
I fully agree. I don't know how many times I've had to tell my son about the "olden days" so that he can get a grip on reality. Young people (usually) just aren't mature enough to know whether they should stay here or not. The situation is getting worse as technology blossoms and reality becomes less real.

For my own situation, I was miserable from day one. I know how horrible it is here. I have no doubt that others have a deep underlying sadness regarding this world, and don't want to be here all that much. I can't blame them for this intuition. I can only say "hold on". Hopefully it will all work out for the best. What really helped me is taking care of nutritional deficiencies, and waking up. Once you realize how messed up this reality is, you don't want to leave until you figure it out. Suicide becomes one of the last things on the "list". What is helping me get through this incredible turmoil is the supplements I take. I was very deficient in several key nutrients. Since taking care of these deficiencies, I'm much more capable of enduring the weather, so to speak. If I truly came here for a reason, I need my body to be able to keep up with my spirit.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Same here, much of the time a huge reason I was only here out of fear of the other side and worry for the few people that care about me (you also feel like a burden). I mean I love the concept of life so I hate the idea of not living anymore. However at the same time I have often hated mine and I can't just find another life to live so it's like you're stuck you know.
You may not actually be stuck. You might be doing what you're doing for a reason. It may not be a reason you've chosen, or it might be. This reality is extremely complicated. I do think, though, that we have some control over what's happening--on some level, at least. We may just not realize it.

My life has been pretty crappy, but I've always been able to find something positive out of each situation. I think if you can do that then you can keep going. Jam is right. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Learn from your experiences and your mistakes, and from what life deals you--whether you asked for it or not. Become a better person because of these experiences. Don't use them as excuses to give up. Learn to be strong in mind and in spirit. You have an inner strength. Just be aware of it and use it.

Quote:
A good counselor helps to an extent but they don't fix the problems that plague you. It's not like they can flip a switch and say you're cured. In some sessions, I end up more depressed after.
They are usually good at "listening". However, most of them aren't even doing that--let alone putting themselves in your place and being able to give you good advice. That's often why I never felt helped by them. They are clinicians. That can be a good thing, but it can also be a detriment. The best counselors are those that are educated *and* can put themselves in your shoes long enough to give you good advice. The best counselor I found was me, but only after I was able to be completely honest with myself.

Last edited by freedomdove; 07-23-2016 at 12:34 AM..

Old 07-23-2016, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Quote, attribution unknown: "I am comforted by the availability of suicide."

My life, my choice.
Indeed. Just make sure it's an informed choice. There are many things in this world that can cloud our judgement, especially when we are young and inexperienced.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:22 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKE3FSPJu-4

Old 07-23-2016, 01:33 AM

3,068 posts, read 1,679,759 times
Legalizing suicide would have to impose some very strict stipulations, because too many of them take loved ones with them.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:22 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,145 times
A person should retain the right and ability to take their own life no matter the reason. The reason is irrelevant, imo. It's their decision alone to make, and if they feel it's justified, have at it. It's ludicrous that it's illegal, not that it stops anyone anyway. I think assisted suicide should be a basic human right, no questions asked. Depressed and want to die? Have at it. Bad day? Have at it. Bad investment? Have at it. Cancer? Have at it. It isn't for me nor anyone else to prevent one from doing so. That is their decision alone to make. Period.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:09 AM

910 posts, read 1,081,634 times
Suicide is not illegal. Doctor assisted suicide is illegal. If someone wants to go, there are tons of painless ways to go, heck, some of them are pretty awesome. What I have a problem with is the drama queens who want their 15 minutes of fame, and drag the process out and make a big deal about it.

What Christians have protested against is killing people who don't have the mental capacity to make that decision. Other than that, your right. I wish they would just kill themselves out of the way some where and leave the rest of the world alone with their, "feel sorry for me", crap.

If you help kill a person, you have committed murder, unless it was in self defense, or a plain accident. That is where the law has to stand, because without that, you will have people using a defense of, Hey Judge, She totally asked for me to kill her, suicide and all.

In most countries that have Dr. assisted suicide, the patient is required to handle the medication, and administer it themselves.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:42 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,827,945 times
On my scanner this morning I heard the police were dispatched to some guys house cause he sent a loved one a text message saying basically he was gonna do it..

When the cops got there he said he wasnt gonna hurt himself or anyone else.....

WHAT BUSINESS IS IT OF ANYONES IF HE WANTED TO?????????

ITS HIS LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates