Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 10:09 AM

3,068 posts, read 1,679,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
On my scanner this morning I heard the police were dispatched to some guys house cause he sent a loved one a text message saying basically he was gonna do it..

When the cops got there he said he wasnt gonna hurt himself or anyone else.....

WHAT BUSINESS IS IT OF ANYONES IF HE WANTED TO?????????

ITS HIS LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!

But what if he was going to take someone with him in his suicide???? The person he texted couldn't see him, so her/his word of mouth was not enough.

You have those who decide that they can't go out alone, just like the guy here who killed his wife and 9 year-old because HE couldn't handle life anymore. He called no one just did it. But sometimes they do and THAT is why those who are paid to protect (police) make it their "business".

Old 07-25-2016, 06:44 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,540,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of virtue View Post
Suicide should be a non-issue. No one should have to suffer through life because ending it would make a few cry babies uncomfortable.
That really is the bottom line. Keeping cry babies comfortable.

As a recovering Catholic, I still have a hard time with it. But having also been in the debilitating darkness of depression, I can't imagine living with that long term. I've also known physical pain that wasn't the result of terminal illness but made me quickly determine I wouldn't live with that long term either. There are people living with that kind of pain and it leads to depression. I can't even begin to imagine.

What's worse is that these people end up making that decision alone and they die alone. In large part because of religious beliefs that condemn suicide. Fairy tales and monsters keep us from addressing the realities of life and death. I'm so glad to be done with that.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:00 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,526,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc View Post
We're all going to die anyways.....if someone wants to control the way they die through suicide, then that's their prerogative!

I can't figure out the people who want to maintain "eternal" life on this crappy planet!!!

There are those of us who don't feel it's crappy as you said. Even though my life as been though the ringer I still very much enjoy it. And the word I used to describe what I've gone though doesn't do it cover it. IF I had the option to life another 500 years or so I'd take it even with all the crap I've been though.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:17 PM

658 posts, read 847,477 times
While I am not endorsing suicide, I am not one of those who 'just can't understand why someone would take their OWN life.'
Key words are THEIR OWN LIFE.
Maybe some who commited suicide wanted some control on how they exit this earth vs waiting for someone else to directly or indirectly TAKE their life.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:23 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garchompa View Post
I have always found it ridiculous that suicide is "illegal" and people that wish to kill themselves even despite debilitating injures/conditions are not allowed to. So what is the problem? If everyone were freely allowed to kill themselves/allowed to die if they so chose what is the problem? They usually have a very good reason to so why not let them?
Yes...it is silly really.
So what is the problem???
Maybe it's illegal because the gov wants control of your death so they can make some money off it...
There doesn't seem to be any illegalities about that.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:37 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times
If enough people come to realize that the struggle isn't worthwhile, and voluntarily end their own lives, we'd have a cascading effect. Loved-ones left behind would grieve, and find their own lives to be even more suffused with suffering. More suicides would follow. We'd have an epidemic. Society would collapse. Let's imagine some mythical ancient tribe, where the preponderant opinion was that life's struggles outweigh the benefits, and that therefore suicide was not merely rational, but responsible and desirable. That tribe probably didn't survive. That tribe is not our ancestor.

Vilifying or criminalizing some act may therefore be the response not to immorality or even to bad judgment, but the result of a slippery-slope argument. Society attempts to take away personal choice, not from direct desire to control the individual, or some sinister machination, but from a collective fear that cascading actions of such individuals will cause a diffused but substantial harm. And as one objective of most religions is propitiation of the creed and of the number of its followers, religions in particular condemn suicide as being inimical to the divine plan and a crime against nature.

I'm reminded of the closing song in Monty Python's "The Life of Brian". A bunch of people are hanging on crosses, in the final throes of agony, when one of them strikes up a sappy but intoxicating little ditty. "Always look on the bright side of life", etc., with a stanza along the lines of "Because when you really examine it, life's a piece of s**t"… and therefore always look only on the bright side, etc.

Optimism, and implicit condemnation of dour and pessimistic thinking, is therefore an attempt to shunt aside the cold beholding of reality's full harshness. Suicide is an explicit pronouncement that life really and truly does suck. From a community point of view, we can't really abide such thinking, can we?

Old 07-27-2016, 10:31 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
There is no problem; only people who think it's a problem. Nobody should be able to force you to stay here. As far as it being illegal, what would they do to a person about it--arrest them after they're dead? Lol. How ridiculous to even make it illegal.
I've always thought suicide being against the law was ridiculous too. Passing a law that you absolutely cannot enforce is stupid. There is literally no way to bring charges, convict and pronounce sentance against a dead person.

If any entity forces you to be somewhere you don't want to be....isn't that more like kidnapping or being help hostage than anything else ?

There is a moral question here too, but it doesn't just apply to the person committing suicide. If your death will hurt others who love and depend on you, it can indeed be a shellfish act to kill yourself. If you're suffering from a short term disability, or short term depression etc..., you or your loved ones should be dealing with this to help you get back on track to a happy life. If however you're in extreme constant pain, or bedridden for years and bored to tears since you cannot do any of the things you used to love to do, those who love you are being selfish to want to keep you around for their own reasons.

We've got a lot of "death and dying" issues we need to deal with in this country. We're very hung up on keeping people alive by all available means....period! Nothing else matters than keeping grandpa breathing so we can stop by and visit him on Sunday afternoons for an hour....makes us feel good to know that we took time out of our busy schedule to see him....forgetting that perhaps he's got 167 other hours a week to fill with only sleeping, eating, watching TV and perhaps playing bingo now and then to fill it. How'd you like that schedule ?

My point is that it's up to each individual person to judge what makes life worth living. Some may love a lifestyle that I would not....and vice versa. It takes love to keep people in our lives happy and productive.....and it also takes love to let them go when they are not enjoying life and have no realistic prospect of regaining an enjoying life in the future.

Old 01-02-2024, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 763 times
Default Suicide

I know from experience that people aren’t thinking clearly when they are depressed and want to commit suicide. I know when I tried I was just so mentally broken. People believe that no one loves them or misses them. My Dad committed suicide and he missed so much. You have to think of the family members. The person could get help before they are thinking about suicide. And live a completely different life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates