Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 08:48 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Well, yes. That's just about what I've been saying all along.

However, I did not mention much about feminism. But, I've always maintained that Dan Quayle was right and the idiot Left was wrong.
With the exception of Jim Crow, those are also affecting white families. The effect on white families is accumulating more slowly because whites didn't have Jim Crow to deal with, but it's happening.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:18 PM

50,796 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Really? :roll eyes: Is that an attempt to label me a racist? Consult a dictionary and get back to me.

In the meantime, what exactly is the title/question raised in this thread? Here, let me post it again for your benefit:

Why are some minorities more successful than others in America?

The nature of this question requires generalization.

There is nothing dangerous about citing statistics for an entire population. The vast majority of people understand that such statistics paint a picture... a generalisation, if you like.

Most people are capable of grasping intellectually the fact that generalizations from statistical data do not apply to every person of the population generalized.

No kidding? As I posted above, the vast majority of people understand that statistics paint a picture... a generalisation, if you like. A generalisation is only a stereotype if you apply it to all individuals of a particular population. I am in no manner doing that.

The overall conclusion was Vietnamese-American high school students ..... that 25% of the valedictorians in the San Diego area were Vietnamese...

Many Vietnamese have been valedictorians in their graduating classes.

By the late 1980s, Vietnamese students already figured disproportionately among the valedictorians and other top-achieving...

Study: First generation immigrant children do better in school than US-born kids

Have at it! Evaluate away!
You may continue to stereotype based on stats.

It's all too easy for racists on C-D like to constantly repeat stats to put down whole groups of people.

"To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of." -- Ronald Fisher (1938)

Statistics generally simply count numbers. They don't tell us the why of something. Good statisticians remind us that they are just counting those numbers, that they are not telling us why. For example, in a fairly recent Stanford study of one class of medicines for acid reflux, there appeared to be a relationship between the drugs and heart issues. It didn't tell anyone what the relationship was, or even if it was a direct relationship. Stats often bring up more questions. So I'll turn it right back to you -- do your stats tell us: Why are some minorities more successful than others in America?

I'll choose to continue to see individual human beings, individual human potential, individual success or failure.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:45 PM

Okay. Big deal.

When I toured a Thai primary school once and went into the art room, I said, "Wow, these paintings must be by the (equivalence of) 6th graders." "No, these are by our (equivalence of) 2nd graders." And I got to thinking how that compared to my middle school students. My conclusion was that the Asian students were more patient and willing to take time to paint "perfectly", but on reflection I also realized that our American students created paintings that had more creativity (but less perfection), as compared to an almost rote approach to art in Thailand.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There have been three prongs of attack against black families in America.

One, indeed, was Jim Crow. The effect of Jim Crow was to reduce the ability of black men to be effective protectors and providers for their families. But that did not destroy the black family because black mothers had nobody else to look to.

Certain welfare programs were decidedly anti-family, the second prong of attack. The most notorious of those as Aid to Dependent Children, which explicitly required that there be no male in the house. This was so well-known as anti-family that Patrick Moynihan pointed it out in 1969--the famous phrase that black families would be better off if the government practiced "benign neglect." The anti-family effect of ADC was so well understood even among blacks that there was a popular black movie about it in the 70s--"Claudine" staring James Earl Jones and and Dianne Carroll.

ADC was actually passed in 1934. However, racist state administrations prevented black mothers from taking advantage of it until the mid-60s. But that didn't really succeed in breaking up black families either, because "mother and father" was still the accepted social norm.

The final prong was the third wave of feminism, the "women don't need men" and the "mothers can do it all by themselves" feminism. To our great misfortune, black women in the 80s picked up that ball and ran with it, teaching the X-generation of black boys that same lesson: Women didn't need them in the home.
Currently, at least on C-D, another prong of attack is statistics.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:52 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
You can looked at the successes of various ethnic groups with their past history. There are examples of greatness with various civilizations that existed thousands of years ago and those ethnic groups today are able to survive or excel due to the traditions handed down for thousands of years.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You can looked at the successes of various ethnic groups with their past history. There are examples of greatness with various civilizations that existed thousands of years ago and those ethnic groups today are able to survive or excel due to the traditions handed down for thousands of years.
I think you hit a critical point here -- traditions.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:26 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
If you look at the countries these people come from I think that shows intelligence. Also look at all the places these people are at threw out the world. They are usually generally in the same place social and economically. Explain why to me then MR. Know it all.

I live in south Seattle and went to Evergreen high school and South Seattle Community college for now, look it up on niche if you don't believe me to see the amount of diversity. I've had a friend who lived in Rainer valley, it's the black enclave of Seattle. I spent lots of time with them in that area so keep thinking you know my experiences. Again I get my ideas from somewhere. It couldn't have been what I observed? I think you've been socially conditioned to think we are all the same, race isn't a thing and taboo to see similarities in how people of the same race act, behave, and achieve.
And the Blacks who can afford to live elsewhere choose not to live in Rainier Valley. In fact, Blacks who have the means often don't live in the ghettos. What you're seeing is the poorest of the Black population in Seattle.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:28 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
As a black American I always chuckle at these pro immigrant anti black American threads and post. Riddle me this if these groups are s culturally and intellectually superior then why is this conversation happening in the US and not Nigeria, or New Dehli, or Beijing? Why havent these hard working intellegent cultures translated into a productive and functioinal country in which they were born? If all this praise were true there would be no need to immigrate in the first place
I don't really chuckle. Alot of people point to the success of immigrants only as a justification for looking down on Blacks.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:34 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
Because some minorities are more hardworking, and less prone to criminal behavior, than others.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:58 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,582,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You may continue to stereotype based on stats.

It's all too easy for racists on C-D like to constantly repeat stats to put down whole groups of people.

And you may continue to throw out the race card any time anyone cites a statistic that paints generally a certain population in a way that you dislike.

But, facts are sticky things, and people see what you are up to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Statistics generally simply count numbers. They don't tell us the why of something. Good statisticians remind us that they are just counting those numbers, that they are not telling us why. For example, in a fairly recent Stanford study of one class of medicines for acid reflux, there appeared to be a relationship between the drugs and heart issues. It didn't tell anyone what the relationship was, or even if it was a direct relationship. Stats often bring up more questions. So I'll turn it right back to you -- do your stats tell us: Why are some minorities more successful than others in America?

I'll choose to continue to see individual human beings, individual human potential, individual success or failure.
Its impossible to have an intelligent discussion with you.

I've already stated several times, for your benefit, that I am quite aware that generalities based on statistical fact do not apply to each and every individual. The question, Why are some minorities more successful than others in America?, presumes that we are discussing generalities of certain population sub-groups. Otherwise, we may as well ask Why are some individuals more successful than others in America? The topic of this thread requires discussion of generalities. Odd that you have a problem grasping this simple aspect.

You suppose, erroneously, that I do not regard individuals based on their own unique personalities and characters. That is your mistake.

Likely also is that this is simply your way of deflecting and of closing your eyes to certain facts that you don't want to see, hear, or deal with.

That's your problem, not mine.

Keep your head in the sand if its a view that pleases you. But, know that when your head is in the sand, its difficult to move in any direction.

Last edited by Salmonburgher; 07-26-2016 at 07:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates