Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 07:00 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Currently, at least on C-D, another prong of attack is statistics.
Riiiiiight!

Let's not look at the facts!

Old 07-26-2016, 09:22 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
And you may continue to throw out the race card any time anyone cites a statistic that paints generally a certain population in a way that you dislike.

But, facts are sticky things, and people see what you are up to.

Its impossible to have an intelligent discussion with you.

I've already stated several times, for your benefit, that I am quite aware that generalities based on statistical fact do not apply to each and every individual. The question, Why are some minorities more successful than others in America?, presumes that we are discussing generalities of certain population sub-groups. Otherwise, we may as well ask Why are some individuals more successful than others in America? The topic of this thread requires discussion of generalities. Odd that you have a problem grasping this simple aspect.
What is the purpose behind discussing generalities rather than individuals? IOW, what is the purpose of the topic--what is the end being sought?

Old 07-27-2016, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
What is the purpose behind discussing generalities rather than individuals? IOW, what is the purpose of the topic--what is the end being sought?
I don't know. You'll have to ask the person who posed the original question, which can only be discussed in generalities.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:14 AM

469 posts, read 549,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't really chuckle. Alot of people point to the success of immigrants only as a justification for looking down on Blacks.
What success though? 51 percent of all legal & illegal immigrants are on welfare, higher percentage then the native population. Lets not get into the huge cheating culture these groups have, especially when it comes to SAT & ACT test scores. Lets look at the actual historical poverty rate of racial groups in the U.S. Close to 60 percent of Blacks were in poverty during the mid 1960's because of Jim Crow...Not Hispanics, not Asians, not Whites..all of whom have much smaller percentages of people in poverty as they did NOT face direct Government RACISM..look at the decline in black poverty compared to others...its amazing what black Americans did. There is nothing to look down at, blacks have done more with less then any other group here and we didnt have to immigrate to do it.

LINK/Graph on US Poverty

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...-fig1-2012.png
Attached Thumbnails
Why are some minorities more successful than others in America?-p.png  

Last edited by Mos82; 07-27-2016 at 10:26 AM..

Old 07-27-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Because some minorities are more hardworking, and less prone to criminal behavior, than others.
I think your response perfectly explains this sat on College matriculation :

Of the 2.9 million youth age 16 to 24 who graduated from high school between January and October
2014, about 2.0 million (68.4 percent) were enrolled in college in October. The college enrollment rate
of recent high school graduates in October 2014 was little different from the rate in October 2013 (65.9
percent). For 2014 graduates, the college enrollment rate was 72.7 percent for young women and 64.0
percent for young men. The college enrollment rate of Asians (86.1 percent) was higher than for recent
black (70.9 percent), white (67.3 percent), and Hispanic (65.2 percent) graduates. (See table 1.)

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/arch...c_04162015.pdf

Old 07-27-2016, 10:50 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
What success though? 51 percent of all legal & illegal immigrants are on welfare, higher percentage then the native population. Lets not get into the huge cheating culture these groups have, especially when it comes to SAT & ACT test scores. Lets look at the actual historical poverty rate of racial groups in the U.S. Close to 60 percent of Blacks were in poverty during the mid 1960's because of Jim Crow...Not Hispanics, not Asians, not Whites..all of whom have much smaller percentages of people in poverty as they did NOT face direct Government RACISM..look at the decline in black poverty compared to others...its amazing what black Americans did. There is nothing to look down at, blacks have done more with less then any other group here and we didnt have to immigrate to do it.

LINK/Graph on US Poverty

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...-fig1-2012.png
I know what the stats say. However, I'm merely talking about those who say things like "why can't Blacks be more like Asians", and the like.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know what the stats say. However, I'm merely talking about those who say things like "why can't Blacks be more like Asians", and the like.
Which again is a silly mindset...there are over 2 Billion "Asians" in the world, to compare them to 35 million Black Americans is absurd lol. Not to mention they have their own homogeneous countries, as supposed to blacks being an historical minority facing racial discrimination in ours. furthermore they were able to immigrate leaving their poverty and issues behind for new opportunities. Black Americans were never afforded that opportunity. Not to mention when they compare groups to Black Americans they use RACIAL groups, not ETHNIC groups...so they compare AFRICAN IMMIGRANTS to Black Americans, or ASIAN IMMIGRANTS to Black Americans, or HISPANIC IMMIGRANTS..those are Large racial groups as suppose to black Americans which are one singular ethnic group INSIDE OF A RACE. So the comparisons are silly. NO group has achieved what Black Americans have achieved in Science, Art, Math, Culture while under Government discrimination

Old 07-27-2016, 11:55 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,108,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Because some minorities are more hardworking, and less prone to criminal behavior, than others.
There are exceptions, but as a general rule, I agree.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:56 AM

49 posts, read 50,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
"No. That was not the reason. From slavery through Jim Crow, the black family in the US remained quite intact up until the start of LBJ's Great Society."

Fact: Black women were more likely to be married and living in intact families than white women were before welfare and big-government destroyed the black family.

Yes, of course slavery was horrible, and yes, I know that blacks were bred and families split apart.

But, black families were not splitting apart for incentives doled out by Liberal do-gooders. Throughout all of slavery and Jim Crow, black families sought and strived to remain intact. They struggled through all of that adversity and just before the actions of Liberal Do-Gooders, black women were more likely to be married and living in intact families than were white women.

Please read more carefully in the future. The original question is, What is it that destroyed the black family in America?

In fact, the black family was in very good shape prior to LBJ's Great Society and Liberal do-gooders' welfare plans. Obviously, thus, we are not talking about what harms the black family suffered during slavery.
I'm telling you again, you have no idea what you're talking about, you clearly haven't done any actual reading/studying regarding black families and to be perfectly honest your comments suggesting black people "did better" during slavery/Jim Crow makes you sound pro-slavery/Jim Crow. If you claim you're not, you really should watch how you frame your argument and, truthfully, you sound as if you don't care for black people and to make all these claims while providing NO SOURCES makes you look I would LOVE to know which part of Asia you claim you're in because I know some of those places, including rich places like HK, have some serious problems with poverty

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/02/op...s-to-rest.html

"Though slaves could not marry legally, they were allowed to do so by custom with the permission of their owners — and most did. But the wedding vows they recited promised not “until death do us part,” but “until distance” — or, as one black minister bluntly put it, “the white man” — “do us part.” And couples were not entitled to live under the same roof, as each spouse could have a different owner, miles apart. All slaves dealt with the threat of forcible separation; untold numbers experienced it first-hand.

Among the best-known of these stories is that of Henry “Box” Brown, who mailed himself from Richmond, Va., to Philadelphia in 1849 to escape slavery. “No slave husband has any certainty whatever of being able to retain his wife a single hour; neither has any wife any more certainty of her husband,” Brown wrote in his narrative of his escape. “Their fondest affection may be utterly disregarded, and their devoted attachment cruelly ignored at any moment a brutal slave-holder may think fit.”

He had been married for 12 months and was the father of an infant when his wife was sold to a nearby planter. After 12 more years of long-distance marriage, his wife and children were sold out of state, sundering their family."

This link discusses the "black marriage crisis" myth in more detail:
Black Marriage: Four Myths Busted by the Facts

"Analysis of census data and other figures has debunked much of the misinformation floating around in the media about the black marriage rate. The barrage of news reports about the black marriage rate gives the impression that African-American women’s chances of walking down the aisle are bleak. A Yale University study found that just 42 percent of black women are married, and a variety of high profile news networks such as CNN and ABC picked that figure up and ran with it.

But researchers Ivory A. Toldson of Howard University and Bryant Marks of Morehouse College question the accuracy of this finding.

The often-cited figure of 42 percent of black women never marrying includes all black women 18 and older,” Toldson told the Root.com. “Raising this age in an analysis eliminates age groups we don't really expect to be married and gives a more accurate estimate of true marriage rates.”

Toldson and Marks found that 75 percent of black women marry before they turn age 35 after examining census data from 2005 to 2009. Moreover, black women in small towns have higher marriage rates than white women in urban centers such as New York and Los Angeles, Toldson remarked in the New York Times."

Oh and that comment about LBJ's Great Society you keep quoting, that apparently came from a Facebook meme?

Facebook meme blames Great Society for large rise in African-American fatherlessness | PolitiFact

"As we researched this claim, we noticed a problem: There is no federal data on "black children born without a father in the home." Instead, we found two types of data that are similar -- but not a perfect fit.

One is unmarried black births as a percentage of all black births. The other is the percentage of black children living without a father in the home.

The first option addresses births, a key focus of the Facebook claim. But this figure ignores cases in which a couple isn’t married, but where the father is living in the home."

And:

"When we checked with experts, we found additional problems of context and logic with the claim. Here are a few of them:

Black families weren’t the only group to see an increase in single motherhood over the same time period

Rates of fatherlessness for whites have always been lower than for blacks, but fatherlessness among whites still rose between 1960 and 2012. Six percent of white children lived in a single-mother household in 1960, a figure that rose to 18 percent in 2013. That’s a tripling, which was proportionately an even bigger percentage increase than what was observed for black children.

We don’t really know how common black single parenthood was prior to the Great Society

Douglas J. Besharov, a public policy professor at the University of Maryland, said the official data on black marriage from the early- to mid-20th century is unreliable. It was not uncommon, he said, for black mothers to tell survey-takers that they were separated, when in fact they had never been married, he said. The data for white women is similarly misleading, since many young white women got married as teens and divorced a few years later -- a "shotgun wedding" pattern that doesn’t suggest long-term stability for children.

This pattern would mean that the frequency of non-marital births among African-Americans may have been higher than what the early 1960s statistics officially indicated, and the white rate of non-marital births may have been artificially low."

You didn't bother fact checking your claims - that Facebook meme, which I'd never seen, along with some half-assed news report from CNN was enough for you to justify making this ridiculous post about black people/families.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningfro View Post
I'm telling you again, you have no idea what you're talking about, you clearly haven't done any actual reading/studying regarding black families and to be perfectly honest your comments suggesting black people "did better" during slavery/Jim Crow makes you sound pro-slavery/Jim Crow.
Oh, for goodness sakes...

I NEVER stated or implied that black people "did better" during slavery/Jim Crow.

If that's what you get from my posts, then I suggest that the problem is with your reading comprehension.

Why is it so difficult to have any sort of intelligent conversation with so many here?

The only assertion I made was that black women had a higher rate of marriage than white women up until Liberal do-gooders and LBJ's Great Society kicked in.

That is a factual statement and you can check it for accuracy. I made the statement in response to the question posed, what destroyed the black family.

I did not suggest or assert that there were no other factors involved in the disintegration of the black family.

The horrible things that you ascribe to my thinking come from your own mind, and not mine.

Oh, here's a free hint: Don't rely on the NYT and PolitiFact for accuracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates