Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 07:38 AM

77,910 posts, read 60,076,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
True. A real comprehensive cure would destroy our society . So many people out of work at hospitals, oncologists wiped out, mammogram machines in moth balls. Won't happen.
Yeah, just like during the industrial revolution and when the car was invented. There are some great podcasts out there on history by a guy named Dan Carlin....consider checking them out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 07:39 AM

77,910 posts, read 60,076,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
That's true. A local oncologist , upon finding my best friend had Stage IV breast cancer that spread to her lung, not only cut the breast off after the discovery, he also finished her off with chemo and radiation. She never had a chance and died after two years of these poisons. They have to do what the AMA tells them what they have to do.
She consented to the treatments. Are you claiming that she would have survived those cancers otherwise?

Old 08-04-2016, 11:02 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,563,595 times
MJ treatment is just a way to keep people stoned like anti-depressants. It's not a cure or remedy. In a society where there is high long-term unemployment keeping people stoned maybe a good thing.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:25 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,398,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
MJ treatment is just a way to keep people stoned like anti-depressants. It's not a cure or remedy. In a society where there is high long-term unemployment keeping people stoned maybe a good thing.
I jokingly posted on my FB feed that the US should just make marijuana legal because then people wouldn't be upset at the state of our society and revolt. But seriously...

Anti-depressants and other psychotropic medications don't keep people stoned. The have side effects but they usually dissipate. They work with certain receptors in the brain to help regulate mood.

I am not pro-Pharma by any means, but the medications for that and for other treatments are in use because they work. I don't know any one who wants to have the side effects of cancer treatments, but they are effective and proven. I am just concerned about someone who is desperate to get rid of their cancer (at a stage where it is easily treatable) reading about some home remedy or alternative therapy, choosing that in lieu of an effective treatment, and then having the cancer metastasize and become harder to treat because they delayed seeking a treatment that actually works.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:20 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,533,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Do you think that a cure for some some cancers has been held back because treatments are such a profitable business?
I know there has been progress over the years, it just seems to me that if a joint, worldwide effort could be put together, more could be accomplished in a shorter time period.
I think it is possible

Old 08-08-2016, 10:31 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,218,889 times
60 grams of good cannabis ingested in 60-90 days. That's the cure I'd go for.
Marijuana Kills Cancer Cells, Admits the U.S. National Cancer Institute | Natural Society

http://naturalsociety.com/marijuana-...cer-institute/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmYNLNF7NBw

Last edited by purehuman; 08-08-2016 at 10:47 AM..

Old 08-08-2016, 12:51 PM

The link that jwkilgore posted upthread that explains why the premise that doctors are primarily profit-driven are false. It makes a lot of sense. So why do these conspiracy theories persist? Like I said before, there are professions that pay a lot more handsomely than those in the health care arena. Maybe someone who is a doctor or a therapist that can weigh in on this, but I don't believe - when you factor in things like the time and money spent on education, malpractice insurance, professional liability insurance, etc. - that it's all that lucrative. If you are a good salesperson, you can make as much money or more with much less education. I mentioned before the health expos that I attended. You don't need to have specialized education or any understanding to sell Xango juice. You don't need liability insurance to get on an internet message board and sing the praises of some alternative therapy or another. There's no culpability if you go on Amazon and give positive reviews on some supplement that promises to cure everything from soup to nuts. I know that there is a great amount of appeal for people to just grab something off the counter at a health food store and use something "natural" to address whatever ails them. Keep in mind that poison ivy is natural too. I've read about - and tried - a number of different diets, supplements, vitamins, bought countless book on herbal therapies, reflexology, essential oils, cleanses, you name it. I am lucky that I did not endanger myself by playing guinea pig with my own body. People assume that there are no side effects with natural cures. The multivitamins that you can buy in a health food store have higher levels of certain vitamins than the body could ever use. Any excess of a vitamin or supplement can cause toxicity in certain cases. I'd be more inclined to believe someone with years of knowledge and training over your everyday person trying to offer solutions over the internet.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:56 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,247,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
The link that jwkilgore posted upthread that explains why the premise that doctors are primarily profit-driven are false. It makes a lot of sense. So why do these conspiracy theories persist? Like I said before, there are professions that pay a lot more handsomely than those in the health care arena. Maybe someone who is a doctor or a therapist that can weigh in on this, but I don't believe - when you factor in things like the time and money spent on education, malpractice insurance, professional liability insurance, etc. - that it's all that lucrative. If you are a good salesperson, you can make as much money or more with much less education. I mentioned before the health expos that I attended. You don't need to have specialized education or any understanding to sell Xango juice. You don't need liability insurance to get on an internet message board and sing the praises of some alternative therapy or another. There's no culpability if you go on Amazon and give positive reviews on some supplement that promises to cure everything from soup to nuts. I know that there is a great amount of appeal for people to just grab something off the counter at a health food store and use something "natural" to address whatever ails them. Keep in mind that poison ivy is natural too. I've read about - and tried - a number of different diets, supplements, vitamins, bought countless book on herbal therapies, reflexology, essential oils, cleanses, you name it. I am lucky that I did not endanger myself by playing guinea pig with my own body. People assume that there are no side effects with natural cures. The multivitamins that you can buy in a health food store have higher levels of certain vitamins than the body could ever use. Any excess of a vitamin or supplement can cause toxicity in certain cases. I'd be more inclined to believe someone with years of knowledge and training over your everyday person trying to offer solutions over the internet.
i'm not sure i follow? you have to pay for medication, therefore the more medication that is prescribed/recommended, the more money big pharma makes.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
i'm not sure i follow? you have to pay for medication, therefore the more medication that is prescribed/recommended, the more money big pharma makes.
True, you do have to pay for medication. BUT - you would also have to pay for supplements, vitamins, herbs, treatments...see what I am saying? These things are not free.

I am watching an episode of Penn and Teller's BS where they are discussing alternative treatments. One of the people in the video is a reflexology practitioner that swears that the body can heal itself of anything if you manipulate reflexes on the feet. He is in a wheelchair. Three guesses as to what my first question to him might be.

Anyhow, there is profit to be made selling supplements, contraptions, and other dubious "cures", and the barriers to offering such "cures" is relatively low, compared to the schooling, internships, residencies, and licensure that it takes to practice conventional medicine in the U.S. By comparison, a reflexologist only need to complete 500 hours of study in order to become licensed. As I said before, there's no education or experience required to hawk supplements. For example, a search for "noni juice MLM" tells me that, for a $35 investment, I can become a distributor. There are claims (unsubstantiated) that this juice can cure everything from colds and flu, to depression, to cancer. Why in the world would I believe a layperson that shelled out $35 to sell juice from a Polynesian fruit over someone with years of education and experience?

Go into your local bookstore and peruse the health section. There are more than enough titles concerning alternative treatments. Surely the authors of these books are making some sort of money.

I would suggest to anyone that if they felt that their doctor was only interested in money, to find another doctor. I have never had a doctor force me into taking a prescription or getting expensive tests. It is not against the law to seek a second opinion or ask the doctors about alternatives. Like I said before, the doctors that I have been to have recommended a good diet, exercise, good sleep hygiene, and a multivitamin in conjunction with other treatments. If they were primarily money-motivated, are they in collusion with the organic farmers that produce vegetables, do they have some vested interest in recommending an exercise regimen? Big Tobacco is a money-maker, so why do doctors tell us to quit smoking? Does any of that make sense?

Old 08-10-2016, 07:51 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,247,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
True, you do have to pay for medication. BUT - you would also have to pay for supplements, vitamins, herbs, treatments...see what I am saying? These things are not free.

I am watching an episode of Penn and Teller's BS where they are discussing alternative treatments. One of the people in the video is a reflexology practitioner that swears that the body can heal itself of anything if you manipulate reflexes on the feet. He is in a wheelchair. Three guesses as to what my first question to him might be.

Anyhow, there is profit to be made selling supplements, contraptions, and other dubious "cures", and the barriers to offering such "cures" is relatively low, compared to the schooling, internships, residencies, and licensure that it takes to practice conventional medicine in the U.S. By comparison, a reflexologist only need to complete 500 hours of study in order to become licensed. As I said before, there's no education or experience required to hawk supplements. For example, a search for "noni juice MLM" tells me that, for a $35 investment, I can become a distributor. There are claims (unsubstantiated) that this juice can cure everything from colds and flu, to depression, to cancer. Why in the world would I believe a layperson that shelled out $35 to sell juice from a Polynesian fruit over someone with years of education and experience?

Go into your local bookstore and peruse the health section. There are more than enough titles concerning alternative treatments. Surely the authors of these books are making some sort of money.

I would suggest to anyone that if they felt that their doctor was only interested in money, to find another doctor. I have never had a doctor force me into taking a prescription or getting expensive tests. It is not against the law to seek a second opinion or ask the doctors about alternatives. Like I said before, the doctors that I have been to have recommended a good diet, exercise, good sleep hygiene, and a multivitamin in conjunction with other treatments. If they were primarily money-motivated, are they in collusion with the organic farmers that produce vegetables, do they have some vested interest in recommending an exercise regimen? Big Tobacco is a money-maker, so why do doctors tell us to quit smoking? Does any of that make sense?
i see what you're saying... but it's tough to compare the cost of chemo to the cost of a $35 juice. and i don't think the argument is that people should try all these alternative things like juices, herbs, etc. i think the argument is that there may be an actual cure that is being withheld from the public... not that there are juices and supplements that can help. i used cannabis oil as an example because i have read that it is a cure and kills white blood cells or something (don't know too much about it).... but i definitely don't think people should go around spending hundreds of dollars on random herbal supplements. i'm just saying i'm definitely open to the possibility that there could be a cure that they are withholding to make more money.... at the same time i understand it could be totally bogus as well... my point is just that i'm open to the different possibilities and don't believe something just because "they" tell us it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates