Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 10:08 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Do you think that a cure for some some cancers has been held back because treatments are such a profitable business?
I know there has been progress over the years, it just seems to me that if a joint, worldwide effort could be put together, more could be accomplished in a shorter time period.
I totally believe it. Big Pharma is making way too much money off medications and chemo to allow for a cure of any cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 10:12 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
At the same time I would be really interested to see how cancer treatment changed if we ever moved away from our current fee-for-service system. If they only got paid for their cures, I wonder how that would change treatments.
That's a great idea.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:53 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
To understand this issue, people need to understand the medical industry itself, how it was founded, where the money came from and how medical schools came into existence as well as the modern-day pharmaceutical industry.

Those who have not looked into the above will always believe that their doctor knows all, is fully educated on all issues regarding the body, preventive medicine and nutrition, and that the only way to be well is to see your doctor.
This is all true! Doctors are humans who are fallible and whose knowledge is limited. They cannot know everything!

That said...
Quote:
Those that have REALLY investigated for themselves know the answer --the TRUTH -- to this debate. Those who have NOT investigated --- well, they know what their doctor told them, which really isn't all that much.
This last part is total hoey. Doctors study continuously for 6-7+ years and pass countless exams before being allowed to singlehandedly treat patients. Yes, their knowledge is centered on mainstream medicine, but that's the medicine that is proven to work. I'd trust this person any day over some "doctor" whose "research" involved a few hours studying at Google-U reading web sites written by people trying to sell snake oil.

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 08-01-2016 at 11:10 AM..

Old 08-01-2016, 11:13 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
This is all true! Doctors are humans who are fallible and whose knowledge is limited. They cannot know everything!

That said...
This last part is total hoey. Doctors study continuously for 8 years and pass countless exams before being allowed to singlehandedly treat patients. Yes, their knowledge is centered on mainstream medicine, but that's the medicine that is proven to work. I'd trust this person any day over some "doctor" whose "research" involved a few hours studying at Google-U reading web sites written by people trying to sell snake oil.
Who determines what they study? Passing an exam does not prove anything. All it means is that you have mastered what has been taught.

So .... who determines what has been taught?

Do YOUR research. Look at historical documents that describe what took place 100 years ago and how the U.S. shifted and evolved into the medical industry it is today. No one said anything about looking at sensational websites selling products (diet pills anyone?). I'm talking cold hard research of the industry, funding, and creation of Western medicine. Those are facts. History.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:25 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
This from a 2015 WHO report:

A new report from the World Health Organization's cancer agency reveals that cancer rates are growing at an "alarming pace" around the world and urges stronger efforts on prevention measures to curb the disease.

I'd think it was common knowledge by now that our western medicine system is one that has had a profound bias toward treatment as opposed to prevention. I don't mean that to be an indictment of the doctors nor the research institutions, it's just the way we evolved with respect to all things medicinal. Look around us and see all the potential sick people, we all know who are the prime candidates, overweight, over-stressed, undernourished, and sometimes--over medicated. This observation serves as the opening for most of the conversation surrounding the notion of prevention as a must-do, not only with respect to cancer, but the myriad of diseases we suffer from that we may just have some control over.

Big pharma has it's own set of problems, but in defense of their often questionable practices, we have to admit their successes as nothing short of miracles, those who have suffered without a known cure know the almost magical truth of those successful drugs when they DO come along. We probably can't "cure" every disease, but we surely can stop doing those things that have proven to be an invitation to them.

On another note: Our entire modern way of life may just be the culprit in the growth of diseases in our midst. Our water, air, soil, food, building materials, stress, an overt materialism, all these facets of modernity could well be at the bottom of our medical problems, then again, we may just have a genetic predisposition to our maladies and these things simply serve as a kind of trigger. In any case, we can eat better, reduce our stress, try to live a simpler life, and at days end we will be healthier for that day and hopefully for the rest of our lives.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:32 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
To add to jetherber: Insurance companies do not pay for wellness care. If you are tested and screened and given a diagnosis and medical treatment they may/will pay for all/some of that depending on your insurance coverage.

But if want to see your doctor for advice on how to live a healthful, fit life ... ask questions about nutrition, diet, screen for other issues/deficiencies NOT in an annual "wellness" visit ... they refuse to pay for it. And the values on the info from an insurance-spnsored wellness visit? Set to ensure more people fail so they can be added into in the "care" system. Track the values of the cholesterol, BP, weight/BMI values over the last 30 years. See how they have changed. Go see who sets the limits (the professional healthcare organizations) and see how they have changed.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:34 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Doctors will to continue to treat when they know there's no hope for the patient. If that's not medicine for profit, then what is it? I don't think there's a hidden cure, though.
Actually, not true. In really bad situations they will often talk about suspending treatment and trying for quality of life.

In fact, this is such common knowledge that it's a plot device in dozens of movies, TV shows etc. where someone suspends treatment etc etc.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:44 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
[quote=jwkilgore;44970528]There is no such thing as "alternate medicine". If something you call "alternative medicine" works[1], then it is "medicine". If it doesn't work, then it's called "snake oil"[2].

In spite of the conspiracy theory, doctors don't get paid gobs of money to prescribe expensive drugs. They do get pushed toward those drugs by drug reps (free samples, etc.), but doctors want their patients to get better and live. If patients aren't getting results from one doctor but hear that another doctor is curing people, then they will switch. Doctors want to cure patients; anyone who thinks otherwise needs to wake up.

Modern Medicine vs. Alternative Medicine: Different Levels of Evidence - Policy and Medicine

[quote]

This is like saying that politicians don't get money for passing laws for said companies. Which we all know is B.S. Alternative medicine is something doctors came up with people tend to forget where todays medicine came from. I can sit here & post many of not hundreds of links debunking you all day, as well as you can mine. So that's not going to get us any where. I can tell you that my wife is an herbalist too but that won't change your mind which is fine. But I'm willing to bet as I've posted before that I'm healthier then most here because of the way I eat & treat my body & because I don't get flu shots, etc every year.
or am I likely to get cancer. Can I prove any of this? But you can't prove to me that I won't. Even still I'll take my chances with living & eating the way it suits me to.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:46 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I totally believe it. Big Pharma is making way too much money off medications and chemo to allow for a cure of any cancer.
1) A huge portion of cancer research and it's funding is non-profit.

2) Breast cancer, as one example, has vastly improved survival rates over the years. So yeah, there are many getting "cured".

3) If big pharma isn't into cures and just wants big treatment money then why are there vaccines that have almost no profit margin but prevent illnesses that would cost hundreds of thousands?

The whole argument just is riddled with logical holes.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:53 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Insurance companies do not pay for wellness care.
Mine certainly does.

Why?

Because it's cheaper, and therefore more profitable, to help keep me from getting sick than to cure me after getting something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates