Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 03:48 PM

17,531 posts, read 13,320,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Strength of NRA is not in gun manufacturers, but in regular supporters who would refuse to vote for any politician rated by NRA as gun unfriendly. Negative NRA rating caused many politicians their seats and none of them want to leave...
And, that my friends, is why MrsM and I are NRA Life Members!

Old 08-05-2016, 06:27 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,114,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
There's a lengthy NRA article in Vanity Fair here:

The Civil War that Could Doom the N.R.A. | Vanity Fair

If you don't have time for the whole article, note this:

Chris Cox, the executive director of the N.R.A.’s Institute for Legislative Action, took repeated aim at Hillary Clinton and told the crowd to “get over it” if their preferred candidate in the Republican primary had not won. The most important thing was to elect a pro-gun president in the coming election, one who would fight for the Second Amendment.

Keeping in mind that these days, the NRA is essentially just a promotional group for gun manufacturers, how can they have the nerve to suggest that your commitment to purchase their product should be your single most crucial issue - more important than, for instance, the economy, employment, civil rights, etc.? There is no other manufacturing group I can think of, not even Big Pharma, that would dare to suggest this.
Wow, a lot of unfounded opinions in your post.
The NRA is me and millions of other Americans. We are the promotional group!
You should ponder how ineffectual you and others like yourself are in countering our power.
Vanity Fair? Please. Next find us an article in Mother Jones on Stock Investing.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:42 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,114,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
No, that's not true.

A few years ago I read a book about the history of guns. It was huge, but I made my way through it! It contained a really interesting section on the history of the National Rifle Association (NRA).

The NRA started out from several local and regional groups that organized in the late 19th and early 20th centuries for people who enjoyed rifle shooting . Fewer and fewer people were hunting for daily food by then, and the members of these organizations saw a need to encourage shooting as a skill. Over time these smaller regional organizations merged into a single large organization.

When World War I arrived, the US military brought in sharp shooting experts from the NRA to train soldiers how to use rifles, because not that many Americans were shooting in their ordinary lives anymore.

The NRA remained primarily a club for people who enjoyed sharpshooting with rifles until the 1960s, when gun manufacturers began marketing their products through the NRA.

Now the NRA is primarily funded by gun manufacturers, much more so than from membership fees.

So now the NRA is essentially a lobbying arm for these manufacturers. And just like any lobbying group, they work hard to make sure that Washington supports their industry.
I agree with you. We should support the gun and ammunition manufacturers. After all, they supply us with the finest products available, with new choices and technologies arriving every day.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:16 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,212,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

So, the founders of USA believed that it is necessary for United States to have a well-trained (sic!) militia. And for the purpose of its potential existence, they stated that individual rights of the people (i.e. any resident of USA) shall not be limited in any way...

Having said that, I must point out that if you read it carefully, it never said "Only members of militia can keep and bear arms while being deployed". And therefore I don't see point of your objection at all.

Also to further add to this, "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" At the time the U.S. Constitution & the Bill of rights was written, the term "Well Regulated", did not mean what it has been interpreted to mean now: At that time "Well Regulated" meant in good working order; with all parts functioning normally.

So a Well Regulated Militia, was a Militia made up of able bodied people who could be called up at little to no notice to service in a local Militia to protect the community/state from harm. It was expected that a person if called upon for service to be providing their own firearm.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:24 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,435,798 times
Looking at the gun sales there must be a VERY strong market for guns. If there wasn't the demand for guns, gun manufacturers would be out of business. So the people have spoken, with their $$$$$.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:29 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,596,028 times
The arms manufacturers have very successfully created a market for themselves via the NRA. Their marketing tactic is the classic law of panic buying.

For example:
"The country's about to run out of gas!" everyone goes out to get gas and there are long lines at gas stations.
"Storm is coming, you might run out of fresh water!" everyone runs out to buy water and stores run out of water.

NRA: "Liberals want to take away your guns and your constitutional rights!" People run out to buy more guns.
NRA: "Terrorists are going to come to America and kill your family!" People run out to buy more guns.

It's a very effective marketing tool geared towards those who are susceptible to marketing methodologies.

For those of you who think the NRA is a "grass roots movement", you are simply wrong. Please make an effort to study the history and practices of the NRA for yourselves. If you would like information about how to go about doing primary research and how to find and understand unbiased secondary sources, I'd be happy to help.

I support those gun owners who enjoy sharp shooting, collecting and hunting.

But those who are in panic mode in response to marketing by the NRA (and other groups) are just suckers.

And those in Congress who bow down before ANY lobbyist group should be removed from office.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:46 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
Also to further add to this, "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" At the time the U.S. Constitution & the Bill of rights was written, the term "Well Regulated", did not mean what it has been interpreted to mean now: At that time "Well Regulated" meant in good working order; with all parts functioning normally.

And yet "at that time" the internet wasn't invented so are we going to restrict that as well?

The point is that without being armed we are subjects. Just look at how well communists and dictators have used gun control to subject people.

Of course the common argument is "if the government has helicopters and tanks..." I follow law abiding orders, an order to attack American civilians on American soil would fall on deaf ears.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:54 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
You mean they don't? That its all just NRA bull****?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Yes.
Hillary says you're wrong.

Tully: On guns, Hillary Clinton is right

Old 08-05-2016, 09:56 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,212,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
And yet "at that time" the internet wasn't invented so are we going to restrict that as well?

The point is that without being armed we are subjects. Just look at how well communists and dictators have used gun control to subject people.

Of course the common argument is "if the government has helicopters and tanks..." I follow law abiding orders, an order to attack American civilians on American soil would fall on deaf ears.

Agree with most;

I have a plaque, it read a man with a gun is a citizen & a man with out a gun is a subject. I will never be a subject.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:02 AM

834 posts, read 1,216,704 times
Isn't it so that many Americans use guns everyday to protect themselves from the US government? I mean our black brothers in the inner cities who bear testimony in their music, poetry, fashion, and day-to-day activities of the need for the Second Amendment.

The brothers who fight the system by bearing arms when they meet the tyrants: Cops, prison wardens, judges, and hostile gangs who infringe on their city blocks. Or actively socializing the property of stinking rich people to feed their family or drug habit. These valued militia members of society find the only support from an understanding and caring NRA. An NRA which stands shoulder to shoulder with our black brothers against tyrannical background checks, safety locks, clearly suicidal restrictions on concealed carry, privacy infringing gun registration, and business-ruining waiting periods. One needs only to look at the daily videos of how the bros and sistas are hunted down and killed by the police when unarmed. Never having a chance when pulled over or carrying a soda can while walking.

When a proud black American needs a gun, the rule of thumb is that he needs one RIGHT NOW, the biggest one money can buy, firing harder, faster, larger, and more devastating bullets. And it better have no serial numbers. No ID required. No talking. No psycho papers, no terror list check, no prejudice of being Muslim.

Actually nothing required but some cash. Which hopefully amortizes with the first gun use securing a large enough stash of drugs to get into the biz. Or jacking that nice ride to impress the future baby mama. Which helps to keep the birth rate of this proud nation in the positive. A relationship where the man has a gun doesn't require a wedding band. And keeps the woman in her place: Those traditional family values the liberals want to take away.

Yes, the NRA supports businesses. Any business. And those babies raised in purely female households (good for feminism, right?) The Second Amendment helps inner cities to get onto their financial feet any which way. And not depending solely on welfare alone.

A government has no business in this! The NRA knows this and is unwavering in its support. Isn't the NRA fantastic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.