Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 04:41 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think it would be cool to combine ski jumping with shooting some type of weapon or dropping a hand grenade on a target

I'd like to see swimmers launch torpedoes at that couch they found in the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 06:49 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The 40mms that I remember were anti-aircraft guns mounted on destroyers. They were bolted to the deck. Are you sure you don't mean .40 caliber?
He meant the M-79 "blooper" grenade launcher, which fired a 40mm round. I carried one myself in Vietnam for awhile.

It was also available in the over-and-under configuration, combined with an M-16 variant, which I believe is now called the M-203.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:26 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times
I think it's not unreasonable to raise questions about gun competitions in the Olympics. The games are supposed to be at least a symbolic step toward world peace, brotherhood, and all that. So why are there competitions that are primarily military in nature?

It's not an anti-gun nut thing to ask why games dedicated to peace should have weapons of war in them. The biathalon, pentathalon, the rifle and pistol competitions (except for maybe skeet, which comes from hunting, not warfare), the fencing competitions (war from an earlier era), and even the equestrian events (which were at first restricted to military personnel), are all legacies of warfare.

I've always felt that none of these belong in the Olympics at all. Not because I'm some rabid anti-gun nut, but because I think competitions based on warfare have no place at an event that should be a celebration of the best of humanity, not a reminder of the worst.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:48 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I think it's not unreasonable to raise questions about gun competitions in the Olympics. The games are supposed to be at least a symbolic step toward world peace, brotherhood, and all that. So why are there competitions that are primarily military in nature?

It's not an anti-gun nut thing to ask why games dedicated to peace should have weapons of war in them. The biathalon, pentathalon, the rifle and pistol competitions (except for maybe skeet, which comes from hunting, not warfare), the fencing competitions (war from an earlier era), and even the equestrian events (which were at first restricted to military personnel), are all legacies of warfare.

I've always felt that none of these belong in the Olympics at all. Not because I'm some rabid anti-gun nut, but because I think competitions based on warfare have no place at an event that should be a celebration of the best of humanity, not a reminder of the worst.
Of course, if we want to eliminate all "warfare" related activities, the first thing that has to go is American style football. It is, after all, a game of warfare. There is strategy, offense, and defense. warfare on a playing field.
Then there are all the variations of the game; soccer, rugby, etc. ALL warfare on a playing field.
Lacrosse was, I have read, originally a substitute for warfare among the indigenous peoples of Northern North America (before it was North America).
Karate, judo, jiu jitsu? Nope, can't have them, either.
Throwing the javelin, discus, or putting the shot (SHOT!! OMG, NO!)
Wrestling or boxing? of course not!
Even chess! Kings, queens, knights...

Old 08-09-2016, 08:11 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Lol, the .40 is an S&W and the .45 is a Colt gold cup that I used during the 60’s for competition.
Okay, it's a .40 caliber, huge difference from the 40mm M79.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:13 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The 40mms that I remember were anti-aircraft guns mounted on destroyers. They were bolted to the deck. Are you sure you don't mean .40 caliber?
I carried a 40mm M79 Grenade launcher while in Vietnam, it's like an over grown shotgun.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:33 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Of course, if we want to eliminate all "warfare" related activities, the first thing that has to go is American style football. It is, after all, a game of warfare. There is strategy, offense, and defense. warfare on a playing field.
Then there are all the variations of the game; soccer, rugby, etc. ALL warfare on a playing field.
Lacrosse was, I have read, originally a substitute for warfare among the indigenous peoples of Northern North America (before it was North America).
Karate, judo, jiu jitsu? Nope, can't have them, either.
Throwing the javelin, discus, or putting the shot (SHOT!! OMG, NO!)
Wrestling or boxing? of course not!
Even chess! Kings, queens, knights...
You are being absurd.

The military-based competitions in the Olympics were not remnants of someone's ancient ethnic traditions. They were based on skills necessary for survival in the very real and very deadly wars that were raging throughout Europe and Europe's colonies during Baron de Coubertain's time. The skills -- fencing, shooting, horseback riding -- were necessary to kill or prevent oneself from being killed. No other reason. It is one thing to see a competitive sport as a metaphor for war. You can do that with just about any athletic competition. But it's quite another to use the actual tools of war -- and recent wars at that -- as athletic entertainment at an event supposedly dedicated to humanity's higher instincts. You don't agree, but I don't think that point is difficult to understand.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:57 PM

66 posts, read 80,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Shooting "sports" in the Olympics, seriously? Pokemon Go, carpentry, dog training and bowling take more physicality than shooting a weapon.

You obviously know absolutely nothing about competitive shooting

ML

Old 08-09-2016, 10:55 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I carried a 40mm M79 Grenade launcher while in Vietnam, it's like an over grown shotgun.
With one great big pellet. That goes boom.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:31 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntngoat View Post
You obviously know absolutely nothing about competitive shooting

ML
But it is just as impressive as someone doing Pokemon Go. That was my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates