Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 02:47 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
There must be worse things in life, but I agree with you on this, people who are guilty of it must be the world's champion selfish, uncaring s.o.b's that is possible.
We don't get the order lunch/wait for lunch over here that you mention, maybe a sandwich and coffee, but it's still time consuming.
What we get mostly, is people leaving their car at the pump, then going into the mini-store to do some shopping, before going to the line to pay.
This is calculated to make a normal person tear their hair out, I can understand the gas station/store wanting to maximise sales, but providing I'm not 'running on fumes', I will give these places a miss, so what the store makes on a couple of candy bars, magazines, or newspapers, they lose from my not putting £55 of fuel in my tank.
I've lost count of the times that I've seen these gas station forecourts look like I.75 on a Labor Day weekend.
The simple solution is for drivers to pull off the pump after filling, and then go to the store, but a) there may be insufficient space, b) drivers are concerned that it may be thought that they're driving away without paying for their gas, and c) no doubt some drivers do keep going, straight to the road, so security get antsy if they see a car move off the pumps.
Best bet is to swerve these places altogether, and seek a gas station that just sell gas, but they are as rare as hens teeth.
Most places here in the states are prepay pumps, but i do get, and have done the park at the pump thing, if there are no spaces. Most of the time you have about 4-6 parking spaces in front of a gas station, and areas to the sides, where one could park, then there are ones that technically in front of the store is a fire lane. depends on the property layout. usually if it looks like they're giving out free petrol, I'm going somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 06:22 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Most places here in the states are prepay pumps, but i do get, and have done the park at the pump thing, if there are no spaces. Most of the time you have about 4-6 parking spaces in front of a gas station, and areas to the sides, where one could park, then there are ones that technically in front of the store is a fire lane. depends on the property layout. usually if it looks like they're giving out free petrol, I'm going somewhere else.

Once I got used to the pre-pay in the U.S., I thought it was great, just give a couple of green pictures to the clerk, one of Andrew Jackson, one of Honest Abe, say $25 pump 2, and you're good to go.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:03 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
No one has them anymore and I have no problem telling someone in public that they don't...

Old 09-13-2016, 11:36 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,214,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Once I got used to the pre-pay in the U.S., I thought it was great, just give a couple of green pictures to the clerk, one of Andrew Jackson, one of Honest Abe, say $25 pump 2, and you're good to go.
Here simply put the credit card in the slot. it may ask for your zip code and go ahead and pump..

Old 09-14-2016, 03:12 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Here simply put the credit card in the slot. it may ask for your zip code and go ahead and pump..

I've noticed that longneck, but a) my zip is a combination of letters and numbers, and I could imagine the pump going on the fritz if I tried it, or at the very least, denying me gas, and b), if I used the zip for the house that I was renting in the U.S., would the pump software work out that no one at that address had a CC with those digits, or is it just a ploy to get your address, then deluge you with ads and flyers?
That's why I find it simpler to look through my collection of greenbacks for pictures of long gone presidents, plus Alexander Hamilton, and Benjamin Franklin.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:49 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
And it may take a day or to for the transaction to go through, just like at a bar.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:30 PM

356 posts, read 302,358 times
Agreed. "Good manners" is a concept that is unfortunately, fading away. But, that is to be expected due to the unabated moral decline of the world.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:15 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
Agreed. "Good manners" is a concept that is unfortunately, fading away. But, that is to be expected due to the unabated moral decline of the world.
There is no general moral decline. More people are simply ignorant of the existence of manners, among other things.

Heck, many Americans don't even know the difference between 'lose' and 'loose', 'your' and 'you're', and their ass and a hole in the ground.

On the other hand, what should one expect from a morbidly obese population, covered with tattoos, which slouches around in sweatshirts and flip-flops talking loudly to the air? They're too busy being vulgar to think about something like manners. After all, they have grotesque celebrities to emulate...

Old 09-19-2016, 02:08 PM

356 posts, read 302,358 times
No general moral decline? Compare the television shows of the 50s to now. Back then, no vulgar language no suggestive themes, etc. Today? We have shows full of filth. Not convinced? Compare the music too or how about movies? Cursing abounds, and yet, back then, in old B&W movies, rarely did cursing take place.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:13 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,990,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
My partner and I just did this exact thing last night.

The store was busy, and he was taking his jolly old time getting bread. I took the opportunity to slip into the checkout line (which was right opposite the bread). I was standing there, obviously with nothing in my hands and talking to my partner who was about 15 feet away. When he finished getting the bread, someone had come in behind me. Nothing we did inconvenienced this guy in any way. Assuming he had two brain cells to rub together, he could assume from the fact that I had nothing in my hands and I was speaking to a guy with a cart a couple of feet away, that said cart of groceries was going to be in line in front of him. If he had an issue with it, he certainly could have chosen another line.

*shrug* I respect that you wouldn't do it, but I'm failing to see where the rudeness comes into play with it.
I would have done the opposite. Have your partner with the cart full of stuff get in line and then you go and get the bread. This way there is no confusion from the person behind you. Also, this way, since you have the cart, you can go ahead and start loading up the conveyor belt and not waste any time.

Basically, it is similar to someone accidently forgetting something and running to get it really quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates